Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody painted the underside?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
bigsteve1969 has a good reputation on FTE.bigsteve1969 has a good reputation on FTE.bigsteve1969 has a good reputation on FTE.
anybody painted the underside?

i was thinkin bout paintin my front and rear axles and frame rails any suggestions on paint choice and would i need to sand anything?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.camodown has a great reputation on FTE.
I use Eastwood's Rust encapsulator, it works really good for me. Just clean whatever you are painting really well... I would be curious though, at how much heat is retained by paintin an axle (Can't be too much. I painted my rear axle and haven't noticed any problems...)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
bigsteve1969 has a good reputation on FTE.bigsteve1969 has a good reputation on FTE.bigsteve1969 has a good reputation on FTE.
i really dont want that cheap "durable undercoat rubberizer" thats available at the autozone

Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.
I have...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:43 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
i much time did that take for prep ha ha i just wanna spray and it not look rusty

Old 09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.DCSpecial has a great reputation on FTE.
I used some degreaser, knocked off a lot of the rust with a rust remover wheel on a drill, cleaned again, used a tack cloth and then used krylon rust tough primer and then paint. If I ever do it again I'll clear it all.

I spent some time on all the cleaning and masking/taping and spraying. Not too bad though. Looks good.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
yes it looks extremley good

Old 09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
roger99
Junior User
roger99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
they make some called Black Chassis Paint that is some real good stuff 1 thing do not get it on you beacuse it will not come off i know for a fact

Old 09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
danskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DCSpecial View Post
I used some degreaser, knocked off a lot of the rust with a rust remover wheel on a drill, cleaned again, used a tack cloth and then used krylon rust tough primer and then paint. If I ever do it again I'll clear it all.

I spent some time on all the cleaning and masking/taping and spraying. Not too bad though. Looks good.
Your hired, I will buy the beer and clear. When can you come over?

Looks great, yes in deed..

Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Steve, I just took some degreser and cleaned mine pretty well,(fortunatley we dont encounter rust in the south, just red mud), and then hit the frame rails and springs with a can of rustoleum black rust stop paint. this pic is after about 6 months from when I painted it.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:47 PM
preppypyro
Posting Legend
preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Thats a pretty shiny clean truck! Paint looks good though.

I wish there was something we could use up north here so it would look nice and clean and new like that.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:31 PM
aldridgec
Postmaster
aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.
I went through this at length last year after the rear of my truck was wrecked. I spent a lot of time removing the original wax coating down to bare metal and treating it with POR 15. I used a few coats of POR15 and a couple of coats of TOP Coat as well.

You'll find it much easier to clean and paint the axle and under pinnings over the frame. The waxy coat is very tough to scrape, melt, burn, wheel, sand and get completely clean in a rapid manner. I tried everything.

Probably the best thing to do if you don't want to drive yourself crazy is to use a high quality hardening type undercoating to touch up the frame. 3M makes a pretty good product. I know this isn't what you wanted to do, but the frame isn't painted to begin with so you can't really paint it later with long term success.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
preppypyro
Posting Legend
preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Gotta paint up that spare tire rim now hey

Old 09-09-2008, 12:55 AM
UP_There
Post Fiend
UP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant futureUP_There has a brilliant future
a couple times a year I hi-pressure wash my truck underneath and spray the frame, axles, and front/rear diffs with flat black spray paint. Very little rust in AZ trucks, but salt is used on the roads in winter a bit.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Texas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant future
I paint my axles, frame rails, and assorted parts underneath, once a year. I use Rustoleum black. Pressure wash first, use a wire brush to knock the loose stuff off and then paint.

Lifted trucks that aren't painted down below look tacky, IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anybody painted the underside?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.