1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stripping parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Nighte51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripping parts

I am getting ready to have a few things stripped, namely a few brackets. I have a two questions.

The first question is if there is anyone from the Houston, Texas area, have you ever used Houston Metal Stripping to strip parts? If so, did they do a good job? My second question- I am taking the front spring front hanger bracket (the one that attaches to the frame) and they still have the bushings. The stripper (mentioned above) does the caustic dip stripping. Should I press the bushings out before I take it, or can I wait and take them out after they are stripped?

Kerry

Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM
TxF100
Senior User
I am in Houston too, actually Sugar Land. I have heard good things about Houston Metal Strippers (in Conroe) but have not used them. I did call them about dipping my Cab and they were a kind of high on price. they strip, neutralize but do not prime right afterwards so rust can start again. There is a company in Dallas the strips with out acid and epoxy primes right afterwards.

Also, if your just going to strip brackets you could just use reverse electrolysys. There is a lot of info on the search here and on H.A.M.B.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Kerry,

I've had good luck stripping parts at home just by soaking them overnight in an undiluted cleanser. I use Greased Lightning but I think Simple Green would work just as well.

I had some engine brackets from my early 70's Caddy engine that had 30+ years of baked on engine goop come out bare metal after an overnight soak. The stuff works great. Wear gloves though or your hands will peal like crazy in about 3 days.

I would say press the bushings out first adn remove the grease zerks that way the stripper can get in there and get all the old crud out.

Welcome to the board
Bobby

Old 09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Nighte51
Freshman User
I haven't thought about reverse electrolysis. I have read about it in many mags. I will definitely look into it.

Bobbytnm- will Greased Lightning clean rust off? What I need stripped is more rust than caked on grease and crude. I have used it for many things, so I know it works well, but on rust...?

Old 09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Sorry man, it won't help you on the rust. It does wonders on crud and sometimes paint but doesn't effect rust and scale to much.

Good luck
Bobby