Front Axle Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 05:40 PM
billman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Axle Question

Is this normal?

I just got a '95 F-150, 351, Automatic Trans, Push Button 4x4, Auto Lock Hubs (I will soon replace).

When I turn the front drive shaft by hand (4x4 not engaged), the differential freely turns the axle on the driver's side, but it barely turns a little bit and then stops on the passenger's side. Is that normal or is it an indication that something is wrong with the axle/hub?

Thanks for any input. I am just trying to get used to my new truck and not sure what to expect with what may or may not be wrong.

Old 10-16-2002, 05:53 AM
rabidranger
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front Axle Question

That is normal, don't worry about it, it is just the natural action of the open diff in the front, the passenger side may have slightly more drag on it, thus allowing the drivers to keep spinning.

Old 10-16-2002, 09:48 AM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front Axle Question

How do the auto hubs work on the '95 F150? On others (on pre '94 rangers, explorers, and BII's) the hub locks when the front axle shafts spin. If it's the same kind of set up and you can spin one axle indefinetely, I think there's a problem with that hub. Would need to verify what kind of mechanism engages the hubs on your truck.

Old 10-20-2002, 07:38 PM
billman
Senior User
Front Axle Question

>How do the auto hubs work on the '95 F150? On others (on
>pre '94 rangers, explorers, and BII's) the hub locks when
>the front axle shafts spin. If it's the same kind of set up
>and you can spin one axle indefinetely, I think there's a
>problem with that hub. Would need to verify what kind of
>mechanism engages the hubs on your truck.

My understanding is that when the auto button is pushed, it takes about 10' of direction travel to engage or disengage the hubs. The bottom line is when not in 4x4, the front passenger side axle does not turn and the driver side does when I turn the driveshaft by hand.

I just found a '97 F-250 on a car lot and when I turned the driveshaft by hand, both sides of the front axle turned without stopping.

Any other thoughts out there? What do other trucks out there do? Is there another way I can verify that there is a problem with the hub not disengaging? I want to be absolutely sure before I take it to the dealer for warranty service.

Thanks for your input,

Old 11-13-2002, 11:26 AM
billman
Senior User
Front Axle Question

>How do the auto hubs work on the '95 F150? On others (on
>pre '94 rangers, explorers, and BII's) the hub locks when
>the front axle shafts spin. If it's the same kind of set up
>and you can spin one axle indefinetely, I think there's a
>problem with that hub. Would need to verify what kind of
>mechanism engages the hubs on your truck.

Based on what was discussed earlier, I even raised the front end and the same thing happened. The only thing was that when I turned the front driveshaft by hand, neither wheel turned???

Old 11-13-2002, 04:11 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Front Axle Question

The 97 has an automatic disconect- I believe it's electrically operated. The hubs are just flanges like in an Fwd car. I think the hubs on your truck need torque applied to them to engage.

Jared

Old 11-13-2002, 06:08 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Front Axle Question

Unless of course, it is a F250 HD, which is the old style 80-96 body and chassis... Then it's just plain 'ol hubs...
Evan
86 F250 HD XLT Lariat Explorer 4x4 ex. Extended Cab: 460 with factory 2.25" catless duals to the muffler(still running the stocker aaargh)
/T19(syncroed granny low)/BW 1345/3.55 geared Full Floater 10.25 and Dana 50 TTB/ 265/75R16 Hankook FR04's on 16x8 Whitespokes(street tires... Need mudders)
78 F150, 351M/C6, eventually to be repowered with a 400

Old 11-14-2002, 01:58 PM
billman
Senior User
Front Axle Question

Finally, all settled. I called another Ford dealership and they said that if you have to move the driver's side tire to get it to lock, the auto hub is blown. The turning of the axle is supposed to engage it. I took that info (plus the confidence of this board) to the current dealership to make them take off and inspect the hubs. It turns out two things were up. There was a torn axle seal and the teeth were slightly rounded causing the driver's hub to not engage.

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:33 PM
billman
Senior User
Front Axle Question

Now that I got my truck back from the dealer, what is normal for the front driveshaft? With the truck on the ground should I be able to turn the driveshaft by hand, or should it stay put like the rear?

I take it that with the truck not it 4x4 (push button) the driveshaft should not move, but should the front axle?

I am just trying to check their work. I brought it to them a couple of times before I convinced them there was a problem with the system.

Thanks again for your input.

Old 01-16-2003, 05:46 PM
billman
Senior User
Front Axle Question

Now, an added question. Ford finally replaced both auto hubs because one was blown and the other was engaging intermittently.

Now, the question. I asked previously in this thread about turning the front driveshaft by hand (wheels on and off the ground) and the effect it has on the front axle. After getting the truck back from Ford, I am unable to turn the front driveshaft by hand with the wheels on the ground (I did not check with it in the air) and my gas mileage has dropped from 14.5 to 9.5. How is the front driveshaft supposed to act when turned by hand with auto hubs and push button transfer case? The front driveshaft operates properly in 2WD and 4WD. Can the new auto hubs they installed have been put in wrong and be "locked" all the time?

Old 01-16-2003, 08:21 PM
mjb1962
Senior User
Front Axle Question

With the transfer case in 2wd, when you spin the front driveshaft by hand it may eventually lock the front auto hubs. A better test would be to verify that the T case is in 2 wheel drive, unlock the front hubs by driving in the opposite direction for a good 10-20 feet. Lift the front wheels and spin them while observing the front axle shafts. If the hubs truly unlock, the wheels will spin but the axle shafts will not. Do yourself a favor and install manual hubs, you will be much happier.
Mark

Old 01-16-2003, 11:12 PM
MEPR
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front Axle Question