Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Glow Plugs,Up-pipe dounuts, POR15

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:05 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow Plugs,Up-pipe dounuts, POR15

So I am getting close to installing my new used motor into my truck, but wanted to take care of a few things while the motor was on the ground, rather than sitting in an 8' truck.

Where can I find Motorcraft GP I remember reading somewhere to buy them other than ford, but have since forgot. Oh Fords price with my discount $118. Is Motorcraft the only trusted GP for these trucks?

The up-pipe donuts I want to install are the small block chevy ones, but all I have is a carquest part number, anyone else find them somewhere else?

Where do I find POR15, the oil pan on the newish motor is rusted, so I am going to sand it down and paint it, but I am having difficulty find the POR 15. Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:28 PM
greedy737
Elder User
As far as the uppipes forget about trying to replacing the dounuts! Get the bellowed uppipes from Int. or from one of our sponsers!! No more leaks! Do it right the first time!!! Also replace the orings on the pedistal (4 of them total) the 2 under the pedistal and the 2 on the top where the turbo mounts!! Also I would think about putting the WW in while you have the turbo off!!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is a link for the GPR. Welcome to guzzle's Stancor GPR replacement Mod Web Page It is a much heavier duty version than stock.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my GPs from Oreilly's, they were around $8-9/piece IIRC. Seems like $70 is better than $118

EDIT:I just searched Oreilly's online catalog and it seems that the price has skyrocketed to $18.99 from last winter when I bought mine and autolite brand stole the old price..bummer..

Old 09-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I assume you don't want to outright replace the oil pan? I would be nervous if I saw rust on the pan, and the motor is out but still decided to repair than replace. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Red Monkey
Senior User
You can go to the POR15 web site. Just type in "POR15" in google search, EZ.
Good luck with your project.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm with Chris. Pan is out and see rust. Ditch it. Now is the time. Got some pictures of that pan?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:09 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Monkey
You can go to the POR15 web site. Just type in "POR15" in google search, EZ.
Good luck with your project.
POR-15 Inc.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 PM
John311t
Postmaster
The stock up-pipe system has not failed on me once. The up-pipes are in good shape, they were not leaking but wanted to replace the donuts anyways, along with get the bolts that are heat rusted in off while it was on the ground. $50 is much less $350, and since this motor is not going farther than a chip, it will be fine. That's what the motor on the stand is for.

Thanks for the suggestion on the WW, and using the bellows, but I have had very few instances where I surged my stock 02 turbo with the chip, and if it did surge I just let out a bit, or drop it down a gear to get around surge. I also always replace the pedestal o-rings, since thanks to McMaster carr, I have 10 more sets of orings at the same price ford tried to charge me since I needed them badly and there is only one place around open 24 hours.

Anyways I found a carquest around me, and here is the part number for the up-pipe dounuts for a small block chevy, they are a bit bigger, and make for a better seal. Car quest number : F1750 GM.

From another site:
You MUST have that part number, not a "Suitable Sub" because they are graphite, and softer, so they crush better. The newer ones are harder, and will not crush sufficiently.
Just an FYI for anyone wondering, or someone who happens to search and finds this thread on the donuts up-pipe what to use.

The oil pan Is not rusted badly, thanks to a EBPV leak(fixed now with my gutted pedestal), pretty much let it get pretty rust proofed in mostly. There are just a few small spots I want to fix before it gets bad. Guess I shoulda said rusted a little bit lol. I may have to order online if I can't find it anywhere else. My old pan is also in good shape, small rust issues, but if I keep trying to sand this pan down, and it does not cooperate, Im taking my old pan, blasting it, then painting it. Its not a huge rusted spot, just a few where the oil couldn't get to lol.

The glow plugs are still my concern. See I don't understand why the price skyrocketed? I will try to call autozoo even though they don't even list them being a motorcraft plugs maybe their online site it wrong. The autolites can sit and rot. Maybe thats why the price increase. Im checkin Ebay next for plugs. I am not in a hurry yet on my truck, so I am taking it one step at a time.

Thanks for the help! If anyone gets any more insite on the glow plugs or if I find anything fell free to post it up. Just spend $100 in oil, trans fluid for the PS, and diesel kleen, since I know some people think its useless, I want to run it through once to get any crap outta the system. Another $100 will go towards the damned coolant next week. That stuff is expensive, but love the not have to check it. Walmart is being my favorite place to shop lately.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Thank you! Those are now mine lol. You just saved me a bunch of time searching. Rep'd.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
You're welcome. Have fun.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:29 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Small Block Chevy V8 (Napa) F17250
CarQuest F1750

use lots of antisieze on the donuts to help sqeeze the donuts to make a tight seal..