Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 4WD OD won't hold

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:34 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7.3 4WD OD won't hold

While returning from Atlanta to prepare for Gustof our truck was cruising at 70 mph on the interstate with no load. Pulling a slight grade it dropped OD rpm's went to 3000 and the truck slowed forcing me to pull to the road side. I tried to get it to move in D and it would not budge. I used 1st and got it up to 10 mph, then shifted to 2nd at 10 and got up to 30 mph. Attempting to put it in D resulted in over rev and slowing to stop. I drove in 2nd to a exit and stopped the truck. No leaks or drips. On the back roads I found that by feathering the throttle I could get into OD. I did this once and nursed the truck 150 miles to our home without having to shift. Now it is a 1st and 2nd shift only. This appears to be the clutch pack for 3rd and OD has failed at 143,000 miles. With Gustof comming I need the truck and have found a shop that will do a replacement for about $4000 which will include the drive shaft rebuild with new bearings and oil change on the engine. I thought about Bryan's but just don't have the time to get it there and saving the home is higher priority than truck. Any suggestions. Time is running out quickly. Ya'll have fun and keep the feet dry. vettdvr

Storm is on it's way.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:09 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm no tranny expert, but it sounds like the tranny may be going into limp mode (i think we have limp mode)

someone smarter than myself will surely comment tonight...

Old 08-30-2008, 04:15 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by parkland
I'm no tranny expert, but it sounds like the tranny may be going into limp mode (i think we have limp mode)

someone smarter than myself will surely comment tonight...
I have to agree with you. But I didn't know there was a tranny limp mode. Lucky though I drove 150 miles on I59 to I10 then back home without allowing the speed to drop off or shift out of od.

But that puppy won't pull in 3rd or od now. I was told it might be the OD switch or the module in the column. Hopefully Gustof won't flood our home as Katrina did and we can have the tranny shop look at it after the storm.

One think I can tell you for sure,,,

I'm not havin any fun.

Spent the entire day trying to prepare the home for possible flooding.

Truck has to be lower on priority. I'll let ya'll know what the results are after the storm. If I"m not back within 5 days,, you will know it was.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:18 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by vettdvr
I have to agree with you. But I didn't know there was a tranny limp mode. Lucky though I drove 150 miles on I59 to I10 then back home without allowing the speed to drop off or shift out of od.

But that puppy won't pull in 3rd or od now. I was told it might be the OD switch or the module in the column. Hopefully Gustof won't flood our home as Katrina did and we can have the tranny shop look at it after the storm.

One think I can tell you for sure,,,

I'm not havin any fun.

Spent the entire day trying to prepare the home for possible flooding.

Truck has to be lower on priority. I'll let ya'll know what the results are after the storm. If I"m not back within 5 days,, you will know it was.
Not trying to be rude or anything, but is another hurricane coming there?

I cant imagine what it would be like having to prepare for a flood.... I'd just phone the insurance company to verify coverage... then I 'd go buy a large quantity of booze and go on a northbound camping trip

Old 08-30-2008, 04:31 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by parkland
Not trying to be rude or anything, but is another hurricane coming there?

I cant imagine what it would be like having to prepare for a flood.... I'd just phone the insurance company to verify coverage... then I 'd go buy a large quantity of booze and go on a northbound camping trip
I don't consider it rude,, many people aren't up to what is happening in La again. Yes major cat 4 hurricane heading straight for us and target landfall is within 150 miles from our home. Last time we had 3' of water in our home and were fully insured. However the insurance was so gracious that they basically said they would be glad to pay in full, except when it was time to write the check. For total $235,000 in damage the first check was $130,000 only after much pain did the company finally cover the damages and then on contents I only took a $100000 loss even though I have full coverage. So if you ask me to trust ins. companies. I have only 3 responses.

The mortgage co. was gracious enough to tell us that they would not collect payments for 3 months to help us rebuild. Then two months later they sold the mortgage to another company who promptly placed the loan in foreclosure for failure to pay. Never called, asked,, followed up,, nothing. So we paid that loan out in full. Remember that Granny said on Beverly Hillbillies,,, Don't you trust that banker Drysdell.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:41 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
I don't consider it rude,, many people aren't up to what is happening in La again. Yes major cat 4 hurricane heading straight for us and target landfall is within 150 miles from our home. Last time we had 3' of water in our home and were fully insured. However the insurance was so gracious that they basically said they would be glad to pay in full, except when it was time to write the check. For total $235,000 in damage the first check was $130,000 only after much pain did the company finally cover the damages and then on contents I only took a $100000 loss even though I have full coverage. So if you ask me to trust ins. companies. I have only 3 responses.

The mortgage co. was gracious enough to tell us that they would not collect payments for 3 months to help us rebuild. Then two months later they sold the mortgage to another company who promptly placed the loan in foreclosure for failure to pay. Never called, asked,, followed up,, nothing. So we paid that loan out in full. Remember that Granny said on Beverly Hillbillies,,, Don't you trust that banker Drysdell.
Good luck to you and your family. You will be in our thoughts. I am going to keep in contact with Rick (Miller-feed) via phone. I told him and the same goes for you if you need anything after the storm passes please ask and I will do my best to send out care package for you. If you want shoot me a pm and I'll give you my phone #.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:53 AM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Well, the storm has passed...I hope you fared well first and foremost...secondly, I hope your house and belongings in the house survived unscathed. Thirdly, I hope you told the fine insurance company your opinion of them after all was said and done.
And lastly, on your truck...check my thread out on popped fuse...its near top of the list again...similar ordeal as you it sounds like, and on my friends truck it was the shift lever that was replaced...I dont have the parts book on it so it could be 1 of 3 actual parts in there...but my hunch is its the OD switch as well...

- cs65

Old 09-04-2008, 06:27 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
I hope you are right. I took it to the shop yesterday to check it out and we did discuss the od switch and external components that could cause this issue.

We missed the bullet on the storm. The water missed our home by 2' in elevation which was about 1 mile from the water high point. No wind damage. I stayed with friends (He drives a chevy truck but won't hold it against him) 20 miles from our home with much higher elevation. The storm passed Monday and at 6 AM Tues we returned home. I had shut the power off just incase of flooding. Tip.. if you leave your answering machine on you can call home and if the answering machine picks up you have power. so I knew I had power before I returned home because my neighbors answering machine worked.

Gas and Diesel is in very short supply. Only 2 stations open and only with reg gas. We have 1 grocery open and hopefully others will open today. The lines at the cash register were 30 minutes deep. Towns in our local close by are experiencing flooding with many evacuated. They are at least 100 miles from the Gulf and flooding from river overflowing. Power outages are the largest issue now and we are fortunate to have power. After Katrina it was 6 weeks before we had power. This time we lost power only for 6 hrs. God blessed us this time. I will let you know what the shop finds. Hopefully it is an easy repair. If it does require a new tranny I will also have the u-joints/carrier brg replaced also. diff is in great shape just changed oil and inspected.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you are right. I took it to the shop yesterday to check it out and we did discuss the od switch and external components that could cause this issue.

We missed the bullet on the storm. The water missed our home by 2' in elevation which was about 1 mile from the water high point. No wind damage. I stayed with friends (He drives a chevy truck but won't hold it against him) 20 miles from our home with much higher elevation. The storm passed Monday and at 6 AM Tues we returned home. I had shut the power off just incase of flooding. Tip.. if you leave your answering machine on you can call home and if the answering machine picks up you have power. so I knew I had power before I returned home because my neighbors answering machine worked.

Gas and Diesel is in very short supply. Only 2 stations open and only with reg gas. We have 1 grocery open and hopefully others will open today. The lines at the cash register were 30 minutes deep. Towns in our local close by are experiencing flooding with many evacuated. They are at least 100 miles from the Gulf and flooding from river overflowing. Power outages are the largest issue now and we are fortunate to have power. After Katrina it was 6 weeks before we had power. This time we lost power only for 6 hrs. God blessed us this time. I will let you know what the shop finds. Hopefully it is an easy repair. If it does require a new tranny I will also have the u-joints/carrier brg replaced also. diff is in great shape just changed oil and inspected.

Glad you faired well. Where do you live? I live in Grand Lake, south of Lake Charles.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
I don't think I could live there and not have stress related illnesses.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I don't think I could live there and not have stress related illnesses.

Dan, I know what you are saying. The saving grace for us is, we know when a storm is coming and can run from it. With earthquakes you can't do that, you just have to hope you survive. Same thing with blizzards, tornado's, mud slides. I guess we all have our different problems.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rick, I second that about earthquakes. I lived in SoCal for many years. Been thru too many shakers to count.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:01 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Tranny open

Update.. The tranny is out and open going through failure analysis. Drive shaft can't be rebuilt until Monday.

Called shop this morning due to IKE targeting us again. This is really bad. 70% of New Orleans has power and 50% of Baton Rouge has power with it being restored slowly. Some areas of the state won't have power for 2 to 4 weeks until the main power transmission lines are repaired.

I was 8 miles from the Northridge quake in 94 and in the Northridge mall the night before the quake. I lived in Ga and had a tornado skip over and miss my house. I have had my Ga house struck by lightening twice. In La. flooded, Ok I have had enough. Time for a brake from quakes, hurricanes, lightening and tornados. Guess if it wasn't for bad luck on weather I would have no luck at all.

SO if someone tells me to move, my question is where? I have seen most major weather issues exclusive of a lava flow.

Yup you got it,, really frustrated about now!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:20 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could come to Michigan, other then an occasional tornado, we do all right. But of course, come weathly, you wont find work here.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:30 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by just another truck
But of course, come weathly, you wont find work here.
Guess that keeps me out.

Quick Reply: 7.3 4WD OD won't hold