1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

first trip without being towed home !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 PM
51merc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first trip without being towed home !!!!!!!

HI All...
Big Nite...had to tell someone that can appreciate it...lol.
Working on my 51 Merc M1 for the past year and 14 days. Truck had been sitting in a garage since 1984, so had to do a lot of stuff as you that have been there can appreciate. 20 days ago, took her for her first trip around the block...truck died..had to get towed home. Changed the fuel filter, thought all was good. Second trip the next day, a little further, same thing, but this time brought an extra fuel filter to change in case. Well, changed on the side of the road, no fuel pressure. Towed home...each time by a very patient friend.
Long story short, new gas tank, etc and she runs like a top!
Took an extended trip...approx half an hours worth of driving, stopping, shutting off etc and made it home! Very, very excited.
Off to a local cruise...meeting at the A&W...big debut for the work done so far. Crossing fingers..as this is through town, and not on the side roads.
Bringing my dear wife to help push just in case...lol...and cell phone to call my friend.
cheers
Rick

Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
OUTSTANDING!

That first painless drive makes you feel so good! I have found that driving my truck while I restore really makes me enjoy the restoration so much more. But unfortunately, it takes away some of that sense of urgency to work on it more too.

Keep up the great work and have a "Papa Burger - Cheese Deluxe" for me. (do they still have those at A&W? Last time I was at one the Papa Size root beer was $0.25!)

What's next?

J!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:38 PM
frigerator
Elder User
next drive will be even more enjoyable (less stress) about wether the old girl will make it. Way to go on the build.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
51merc
Junior User
made it home..no problems..

Well...made it. Started to rain so only 2 people showed up. Don't care really for the show and tell, the big thing is i officially love my truck...lol. What a hoot to drive..and quiet! These flatheads rock. So far so good...
Wish i could figure out how to post a damn pic on this site...seems like everyone else can. I know, look in the faq's. Someday i will figure it out.
Running out of nice days here before the snow falls...
cheers
Rick

Old 08-27-2008, 11:44 PM
JBravo
Senior User
someday I'll be able to push mine...

Congrats on your cruise...

JB

Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Those first few trips out in your truck after a rebuild are a bear. You pinch the seat the whole way, watch your mirror for stuff falling off, and disect every noise thinking something must be amiss. I had my wife follow me on my first trip to be sure I made it back okay but each time I took it out I gained more and more confidence in it. Now, I drive it anywhere without worry. Congrats on the ride!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Rick;
Congrats on the progress. I am still in rolling chassis stage. We are having a parade in town over the long weekend, you're welcome to come up and push me along the parade route . lol
Hopep to have my 50 F47 rolling by "late" spring, maybe I'll cruise down your way.

Later

Tom

Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is nothing like that first ride, my problem is every time i go out it's like the first trip and my wife is getting tired of driving around just to find me sitting and talking to someone about old trucks in general, jes, start talking about HOMADE and might be there all night, i just can't figure it out WHY she don't understand, Garry

Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
The 1st ride is why the truck is reborn--to help you remember your youth!!
At least for me.....sometimes the ride is bumpy....sometimes the ride is fun!!!
1 of the reasons to fix up these ole trucks!!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
Thats a great feeling, and usually validation/redemption with the wife and in-laws that you do know what you are doing.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
Nice..... My truck ran when I got it, Sort of,..... but It just wouldnt STOP. I got the brakes safe enough to run it a 1/2 mile up to the high school parking lot. At 7:05 on a Sunday morning I got my dog and off we went. I got about 1/4 mile and it died. I remembered to bring the dogs leash but forgot my tool box . My dog was happy to get a nice walk. When I got back to the truck with tools there were 4 cars pulled over looking at my Panel truck. Car guys all just itching to help me out. It was just a loose condesor wire.I was able to take it to the school parking lot and whip it around a bit. I felt like I did when I was 8 and my dad got me a mini bike for Christmas. My 15 year old daughter and I have a date on July 4th 2009 to drive it in the local Independece Day parade. I hope.....I hope.
John

Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Congrats on the milestone must feel absolutely great....