1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tsb # For Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 PM
#1PATSFAN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tsb # For Death Wobble

I called my dealer today to make an appointment for a diagnosis for the "Death Wobble" on my 2006 F350 and they wanted the TSB number, they acted as if I was the 1st person they ever heard of experiencing this which I know is total BS. If anyone knows the bulletin number I appreciate it. My truck travelled or should I say shimmied over 2 lanes last night on the expressway in Boston, not a pretty sight. Thanks

Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
# 1 PATSFAN:

First, let me tell you straight out! I AM A STEELER FAN, and welcome to the the FTE. We have a great member in this forum who has done a tremendous amount of work in helping many of us. You will see REDFORD's posts often, but less often as he has taken an overseas assignment.

Redford posted the following a while back. Another way you can learn more is by typing in DEATH WOBBLE in the "SEARCH" tab above and you will get a zillion hits, BUT, to help you along, as you guys did finally lose the SUPER BOWL, click on the link below, and you will have your answer. Good luck:

"First, never let your dealer's service department tell you what is normal with your truck. Take it back and tell them to fix it under the TSB.

Check your tire pressure. I can induce the wobble by lowering my pressure 10 PSI from the door sticker recommendation. 20 PSI makes it almost as bad as you are experiencing.

The TSB will direct the technician to check the tire pressure before doing anything else. The TSB is TSB 06-22-14 . Full text is here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...p?tsb=06-22-14"

Old 08-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Green_Monster
Elder User
hey #1 he is dead right on his advice and sour cause all of our boys from Boston are on a ROLL...............and well they had a nice long off season. Welcome to FTE

Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rmosso1
The TSB will direct the technician to check the tire pressure before doing anything else. The TSB is TSB 06-22-14.
TSB 06-22-14 has been superseded a few times and is no longer valid. The most recent TSB on this issue is 07-10-10 (link below).

STEERING WHEEL OSCILLATION
07-10-10

Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried the link rmosso1 but it did not work? I am also having the wobble but mainly on bridges. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I do not understand what happened, but "Nice Work Truck" you are correct, it is now a dead link. The problem as I remember, and as I corrected on my F-350 KR was that the RANCHO shocks were at fault. I changed out my RANCHO shocks at 20,000 miles for BILLSTEIN shocks and also changed the front stabilizer to a Monroe, and my truck ran better than when it was new.

I honestly believe further, that FORD wants to turn this around to avoid a massive recall and now blame it on a steering wheel adjustment. I read too much here to belive what I am cut 'n copying below, but someone (presumably FORD) removed all the TSB's about curing the DEATH WOBBLE. All I could find is this:

FORD: 2005-2006 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 4-26-01 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2006 F-Super Duty vehicles may exhibit steering wheel oscillation (back and forth motion), immediately following front or rear wheel impacts (pavement joints, frost heaves, rough roads, etc.). Steering wheel motion is typically in the range of ± 5 degrees, and typically dampens out in fewer than five oscillations. This condition occurs mostly on 4x4 vehicles, and is more evident on trucks equipped with a gas engine.

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure to minimize the steering wheel oscillations on impacts, however, there may be some remaining minor oscillation which would be considered normal.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Perform the following:

Vehicle Inspection
Evaluation Of Vehicle Prior To Repair
Steering Gear Mesh Load Adjustment
Front Alignment and Reduce Front Caster
Replacement Of Redundant Control Steering Wheel (if equipped and vehicle built prior to 10/8/2004)

I DIDN'T COPY THE ENTIRE ARTICLE AND IT IS STILL ACTIVE, AT LEAST RIGHT NOW.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
TSB 06-22-14 has been superseded a few times and is no longer valid. The most recent TSB on this issue is 07-10-10 (link below).

STEERING WHEEL OSCILLATION
07-10-10
The sad part of the story is that the TSB mentioned above (aka 07-10-10) clearly indicates that this problem is found in gas powered trucks. Anyone that has followed this problem knows that is partially true, less than true, somewhat untrue, or plain BS!

Change the shocks, and the problem goes away. The world was in trouble when someone else tried to change history 70 years ago.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
The sad part of the story is that the TSB mentioned above (aka 07-10-10) clearly indicates that this problem is found in gas powered trucks. Anyone that has followed this problem knows that is partially true, less than true, somewhat untrue, or plain BS!

Change the shocks, and the problem goes away. The world was in trouble when someone else tried to change history 70 years ago.
Actually 07-10-10 just says that "more evident" in gassers, not that it does not apply to diesels.

As for 06-22-14, it may still be available on FTE (many of the TSB's listed on FTE have been superseded or are no longer valid), but it is no longer available/valid in the Ford system. If a tech were to look up 06-22-14 in the Ford system, they would automatically be forwarded to 07-10-10 which is the most recent information release for this issue. Techs are only supposed to use the most recent information and parts when addressing a issue...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
PowerStrokeHD:

DO YOU believe that the majority of the problems in what has historically listed as DEATH WOBBLE in this FORUM to be questionable OEM shocks? I have retained my RANCHO shocks from my 2005 F-350 and you can play them like an accordian, and that is not how a shock is to operate!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
After I replaced the stock +1 coils and Rancho branded FX4 shocks with Bilstein 2.25" leveling coils and Bilstein HD shocks the death wobble disappeared.

I still feel that the steering box on my truck is not as 'tight' as it should be but the alignment shop could not get to the nut to tighten it up.

My marginal opinion is that DW is at least one thing and possibly a combination of things on different trucks. Ineffective factory shocks, stiff coil springs, a 'loose' steering box, etc.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 AM
#1PATSFAN
New User
Hey "Nice Work Truck" my problem is also mostly on bridge decks, living in Massachusetts All brdige decks are in such bad shape they really send my truck for a ride!!
Guys thanks for the info I'll check out the new tsb #, also I'll double check the psi on my front tires, shocks etc..... It's just such BS that the Ford dealer acts like this is the first he's ever heard of the problem, yeah right.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
PowerStrokeHD:

DO YOU believe that the majority of the problems in what has historically listed as DEATH WOBBLE in this FORUM to be questionable OEM shocks? I have retained my RANCHO shocks from my 2005 F-350 and you can play them like an accordian, and that is not how a shock is to operate!
Unfortunately my opinion does not really matter, but I do agree that ones shocks should not play like a accordian and could be a contribution to the issue.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 08-27-2008, 12:57 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I am not going to disagree, but I know for a fact, with 10 VIN numbers available, you put new BILLSTEIN shocks (4) and a new MONROE vibration dampner, and your DEATH WOBBLE will go away. I didn't have time to spend with appointments and time as outlined in 06-22-14***STEERING WHEEL OSCILLATION:

Said another way:

If y'all,
WANT
your D W
to go away,
PDQ,
refer to the
TBS,
about the SWO; and
Then
PUT ON FIVE NEW SHOCKS!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
ironmine
Senior User
Not my truck, but my neighbor's .... and it was no way as bad as your truck has it, much tamer ossillations after a bump ...... but when we adjusted the steering gear, it went away.

(I spend a few Sundays each year in Giants Stadium, but I won't bust on you Baked Bean State boys, lol)

Quick Reply: Tsb # For Death Wobble