1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

what do I have to do to get the birds out from my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 AM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
what do I have to do to get the birds out from my engine?

Got a squeaking/chirping from my motor...its belt/pulley sound. Not like a slipping belt that starts when you first start the truck and then goes away almost immediately. This squeaks/chirps for the first half hour or more of driving. Very consistent to engine/drive belt rpms.

I am almost sure its a tensioner/pully or something. Anyone got an idea?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:49 AM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try a spray-on belt dressing 1st

And check for worn belt. If that doesn't do t then remove belt tension & find bad pulley in the belt's path. Sounds from here like power steering or idler. Bird chirp - maybe idler. Synth (pale almost translucent) belts tend to squeal a lot too. I think they need a lot more tension that the parts aren't rated for. Just my $.02. YMMV.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:58 AM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
Check the tensioners molded in tension marks, to see if it's within range, if not, suspect the belt, or the tensioners spring is weak.

Also inspect for fluids on the belt from leaks.

I had a "cricket" chirp on my Taurus that turned out to be the idler pully bearing, with ever so slight play/wobble in it's bearing.

So if the belts tension checks out, as has been suggested, pull the belt & check both the idler & tensioners pully bearings for loosness/wobble or rough sound or feel when spinning them. They should be snug with no play or roughness in the bearings.

If the belt is due for replacement, do that while your in there.

I'm running Dayton poly cogg on both the Taurus & Ranger & their holding up really well & lasting longer wihout signs of deterioration & are running quieter than the Motorcraft replacements I've tried.

I've also heard good things said about the GoodYear Gator Back belts too.

More thoughts for pondering.
Let us know what you find.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 PM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
damn its annoying...grrr. Yeah, its a very high pitch constant squeal..almost a whistle. Will be next thurs before I can mess with it....

Old 08-22-2008, 06:13 PM
matt's2.9STX
Elder User
Been there;)

I'd be under the hood long before then probing, listening, pushing, pulling & hitting it with belt dressing. You can also pick up a cheap mech stethoscope at Sears, Kmart, Harbor Freight or wherever that could narrow it down a lot. Or use a hose, tube or something in a pinch such as a paper towel tube. See if you can squeeze the belt or deflect it too. If your of average strength, it shouldn't deflect more than about 3/8 of an inch, but this is usually too crude on modern cars. Still, you never know. Might deflect an inch or so. Should NOT get that bad of course. Yikes! And do whatever it takes to check that indicator of tension. Rarely difficult when you find the idler.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Is the sound coming from the rear of the engine? A failing 3.0L vulcan camshaft syncronizer assembly will make a squeaking/chirping sound.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
I have heard other cars driving around with this sound and think I have heard it mentioned as a tensioner pulley issue...

Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Ranger Steve
New User
Don't use belt dressing

I wouldn't recommend belt dressing. It just makes a sticky mess and can cause more grief. Rarely is there a cure in a bottle or can. Road grime and such tend to stick and build up on the grooves of the pulleys and cause the belt not to seat properly because the dressing is sticky. I've had chirping from my 3.0 and though I thought it might be the tensioner since the belt looked to be within the range on the molded tensioner gauge, I replaced the belt and the noise is gone. When I compared the old and new belt the old looked like it had stretched 1/2" or so. Sometimes the tensioner arm over time comes out of line ever so slightly causing the tensioner pulley not be in line with the rest of the pulleys. Then the belt chirps at that point. Try a new belt anyhow. Remember to clean all the pulleys with a wire brush and solvent, drying them really well before installation. A good quality belt is less than half the price of a tank of gas. I put up with that freakin criket under my hood for way too long. I finally squashed the little bugger and my farhfegnugen level is back.