1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Logging in

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:25 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Logging in

I have to log in every time I load FTE nowadays.(my homepage) It is a nuisance, one that I never had to do up till about a month ago. I sent a note to FTE admin, (not Morris) detailing this. I got back a note that said he had no control over that, and that I should log in and out anyway. 2 weeks later sent another note to admin asking if there were anything that could be done on the FTE end. Got a semi hostile reply that quite frankly offended me which i will not detail here. Do any of you have to log in each session? I am sure I have cookies enabled, altho I don't see that option under "tools"- "internet options". I am checking the "remember me" box at login. Thanks. Jim

Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The same thing happens to me on my home computer. That box uses Firefox and I have FTE saved as a favorite site with everything enabled. I figured it was a cookie thing also, but haven't been able to find a setting that fixes it. I used to just sign on and get the 48-60 page.

My work computer (which uses IE) signs straight into the 48-60 page without needing to log in. Like you, I figure its a cookie thing.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Every time I do maintenence on my computer I have to sign in again, but part of what I do is cleaning out cookies, etc.

Normally I do not have to sign in every time. It's infrequent enough that I have a hard time remembering my password.

BTW, I use IE 7 on a pc running Win XP. I go to internet options and about midway down on the front page is a browsing history section with a "settings" button. In there you select how often you want cookies, etc. downlaoded and saved.

Hope it helps!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:07 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Only when I delete my cookies, do I have to sign back in. And that goes for both Firefox and IE.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Only when I delete cookies or do maintenence on my computer I have to sign in again.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say delete your cookies, restart your computer, then try again. That usually fixes it on any of the sites I am on.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
There are settings in the Windows operating system and browser that will or will not save login information depending on what level of security you have it set for. Also there is a setting that will save cookies over a period of time or will delete them each time you log off. The security settings are so that your computer is not used by someone else to log in on various sites you visit.

In some cases those sites also have settings that will disallow a cookie older than a set period of time to make sure your private information stays private. That is so later after you sell or discard an old hard drive someone can't use the information found to log into your personal sites. When you delete something on your hard drive you only remove the reference file in the file allocation table. All of the actual information is still there and if you know how you can see any information written on a hard drive.

There are a number of security settings in virus scanners as well that will lock out your browser or operating systems ability to save cookies. If you have recently updated your browser, operating system, your virus scanner, or your internet security options then all those settings may be reset to a default in some cases. This also applies to the software that usually comes with your Internet service. That crap Comcast, ATT, Verison and about any other service provider sends you on that CD when you sign up for their service in all the cases I have seen only screws things up.

Every time I do a windows update I have to enter my username and password again. "Sometimes" I will also have to reset my security settings too. Not all the time just sometimes, Microsoft tends to run towards the paranoid. I think anyone who saves personal information on a computer hooked to the "World Wide Web" as in a web hooked to damn near every other computer on earth is asking to have all their personal information made public anyway. So if you use your computer for personal reasons save everything you want private on a REMOVABLE device, like a flash card, external hard drive or thumb drive and remove it when your not using it. Or do like I do, I have an external hard drive for each of my computers that are for saving stuff I don't want lost or looked at by someone else. I just unplug the USB cord when I'm done you can't hack unplugged! period.

FTE has NO say as to whether or not your computer saves your username and password or not. All of those security settings are made on your end. If your user name and password are not saved then there is something set on your computer that is preventing it from being saved.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 PM
55 dude
Senior User
i usually don't worry about anyone hacking my stuff its only junk about old trucks and cars!