Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

1955 C600

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We got her running today after some tinkering. I put all new plugs in her, seems how no 2 plugs were the same, and they all had different gaps. We set the points gap and patched up a problem with the carburetor, and now she has the ability to start herself! I need to grab some valve cover gaskets so I can put it all back together, but I am very happy with the results.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice! good to hear your making progress. keep it up. looking forward to some action shots of your truck.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
I just drove my beast for the first time! Rough and slow, the way it should be. The dump works great, the lights work and the ticker ticks like it should. I will have a small video uploaded sometime tomorrow of me driving it.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Good deal!!!! Sounds like you're coming right along. Let us know when you get the video uploaded.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
Well, I have the video ready, but not uploaded. In order to not sacrifice
quality, I wil be uploading the 24MB file this weekend on my friends computer. I drove around a bit today, but the battery is dead again...can you all agree it is time for a new one? lol.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
Well, I drove it after putting 5 gallons in today. Sure is fun to drive, but I need to start working on the brakes now. As for the video, I am sorry to say that it will be a bit longer until I can upload it (maybe Monday?). my truck has no pedal what so ever for the brakes, only the spring tension. I am going to start off by checking the reservoir, but there is a disconnected line on the booster.
The tube which is disconnected is the rubber one seen in the last picture, closest to the frame.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:31 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
Although a bit late, I am a man of my word. Enjoy this rather boring video! YouTube - 1955 Ford COE

Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Congrats on the progress, good to see she's moving under her own power.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 AM
pyramid head
Junior User
Well, I filled up the empty brake fluid reservoir, and now she has plenty of pedal. I bought a 6/12V charger today, so now I can trace the charging system problem and not worry about borrowing a charger. I am wondering if the voltage regulator is responsible.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:11 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pyramid head
Well, I filled up the empty brake fluid reservoir, and now she has plenty of pedal. I bought a 6/12V charger today, so now I can trace the charging system problem and not worry about borrowing a charger. I am wondering if the voltage regulator is responsible.
That would be where I would start, also look at all of the connections.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Blue Bomber
Elder User
the truck looks good, man. good luck with the electrical problems. been there done that.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
Well, today I found some wheels for my truck! A set of 4 9.00-20s, which I will swap for my 8.25-20s. They are not a split rim from what I saw, which is what I wanted. I can swap them over for $200, sounds like a good deal to me! Anybody have any reason why I should not do this? Maybe some kind of common problem with the size? I am paying him around 2 PM tomorrow, but I will need to borrow the wrench to remove them. My boss has one, the ones that hold the stud and turn the nut. So I am all set.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:50 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
I tore apart the mechanism for the two speed last night, the motor works so the wiring is faulty. We had a pretty warm day, about 47 outside and the truck wasn't turning over with the 30 SAE in it. This truck is going to be a bit more than what I was expecting, wish I would have just went with the '56 Flatbed like I wanted (parental pressure made me buy the C). The upper door frames have some rot, and so does the windshield frame. This just isn't a project for me I feel, you might see it in the for sale section so somebody with experience can give her the proper care. Seems how I am now 18, my parents can't stick there noses in where they don't belong. I will decide after I get the new wheels on it and get it running right.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Larry_the_handyman
Senior User
Originally Posted by pyramid head
I can swap them over for $200, sounds like a good deal to me!
Where did you go for that? I have 3 trucks with widow maker rims I need to get rid of.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:09 PM
pyramid head
Junior User
Although you can't get the rims I was speaking of, there are some other candidates in the junkyard. Check out Rustic auto body in Peru, NY. You will need to look around for yourself, but there are plenty of old bigger trucks in there.
And as for an update, the 2 speed motor is working now! I don't know why, but when I went to turn the truck over last night I heard a buzzing sound that went on and off with the key. Sure enough it was from the rear end. I pushed the switch into the correct low range position, and it stopped. Seems how the switch never worked before, we had it in the high range position.

Quick Reply: 1955 C600