BTS Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTS Torque Converter

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about replacing my rattling torque converter. I just sent Brian an email asking a few questions and pricing. What brand t/c are yall running, or would recommend? I know they say you can run these rattlers for years, but it's driving me nuts.
Thanks

Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Precision Industries (I think) makes the Stallion which is a good one. I think Brian uses that one with a few differences... I wouldn't go within 10 ft of any ATS product... I met the owner and he is definately not for customer service...

Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
I think you will get better results if you call him. He is very slow on emails.

Personally, I wouldn't get a TC from him. His is over $1000 and to put that into a trans that is long in the tooth doesn't make sense. When it gives, you will have to cut the TC apart, clean it, reweld it and rebalance it to get it right.

I'd get a stock TC and live with it till you have the money to get a new BTS unit.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
BanksPSD
Senior User
I personally talked with Brian when I was wanting to get a TC. He told me to go directly to the person he buys from and tell them you want what Brian from BTS order.

The people know Brian and can get you exactly what he gets. I spent close to $1200 (including shipping) for my TC but you will be amazed at the difference. It's a tripple disk TC from Precision industries (Stallion TC) like camodown said.

If you get it tuned by Jody or anyone else they can have it lockup for you and that is where you save the tranny. It was a lot of money but in my opinion its well worth it.

Edit: If you can drop your tranny you can change the TC I have dropped mine several times and if I can do it you can too. Good luck let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 PM
gunfrk
Senior User
I'm just about at the end of my second rattler. I started looking last night at the stallions. I assumed ( and you know what that makes) that Brian just used stock stallions, but I guess not.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by gunfrk
I'm just about at the end of my second rattler. I started looking last night at the stallions. I assumed ( and you know what that makes) that Brian just used stock stallions, but I guess not.
What caused both your TCs to fail? I would be curious. Also, how much life left in the trans? I have never been fond of mating an expensive TC to a used trans. Ask me how I know.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
BanksPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by gunfrk
I don't know if the Precision TC that bryan uses is a "Stock Stallion" or not. I know that they are performance TC. It is a tripple disk TC and it locks up a hell of a lot better than the stock one ever did. The problem is TUNING my 02 to lock it up. I like it and don't regret the money I spent on buying it.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by BanksPSD
I don't know if the Precision TC that bryan uses is a "Stock Stallion" or not. I know that they are performance TC. It is a tripple disk TC and it locks up a hell of a lot better than the stock one ever did. The problem is TUNING my 02 to lock it up. I like it and don't regret the money I spent on buying it.
I think it is the same TC but just stalled differently

Old 08-06-2008, 01:25 PM
BanksPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by aklim
I think it is the same TC but just stalled differently
I don't know how else you would install the TC. It has 5 bolts (I think) that bolt the TC to the Flexplate... It is a billet TC and the bots screw into the TC, there are no nuts like the Stock TC.

It's Solid, definitely a heavy Duty TC...

Old 08-06-2008, 01:25 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

I don't know how else you would install the TC. It has 5 bolts (I think) that bolt the TC to the Flexplate... It is a billet TC and the bots screw into the TC, there are no nuts like the Stock TC.

NOT "installed". "stalled". The stall speed is different.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
BanksPSD
Senior User

I can't read.... I thought you said "INSTALLED Differently"

From what I gathered from Bryan is that is has the same stall speed as the Stock TC... Which is where it SHOULD be. The difference is that it is able to hold more Torque than the Stock (tripple disk and Billet Housing)

The Stock TC basically has bolts welded to the TC housing. The Stallion had a solid plate with holes tapped out to screw the bolts into which makes it stronger... I know the internals are a lot more complex which makes it a heck of a lot stronger but that's above my head...

Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

From what I gathered from Bryan is that is has the same stall speed as the Stock TC... Which is where it SHOULD be.
I felt that the stall speed, at least the flash stall speed has changed.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Thanks for all of the info. My truck only has 43k on it. The trans is in good shape, except for the lag when it shifts into over drive and the rattling t/c. Which Jody said he can take care of the sloppy shift into O/D.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:54 PM
jerryk
Freshman User
I'm in a similar situation, Got a rattler T/C and a fine stock trans so I am going to change out the T/C. I am of the same mind as Aklim. I can't see puting a $1200 T/C in front of a stock used tranny. If the tranny goes out and you get a quality replacement you will definatly be buying another new T/C to protect your new tranny investment.
I did a lot of looking and finally decided on a Daaco. They have a billet multidisk with a low stall speed for $467. THey have a local outlet in Alb so I'm only 25 miles away. Makes for an easy exchange.
It may not be a suncoast but I think it is appropriate for my situation. I'll be running DP's new 60e tune or their 60 tow. So I'm not thowing gobs of power but it should be a real upgrade from stock.

Jerry

Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Jerry,
I did a search on google for Daaco. Here is what I came up with Daaco Converters - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

Quick Reply: BTS Torque Converter