Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temp sensor and oil problem

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
themoparkid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
temp sensor and oil problem

I recently had a thread about my temp sensor being wacked. I replaced the sensor and my temp guage still doesn't read right. I got one of those Mr. Gasket radiator caps with a temp guage and my truck usually sits at 140 while running. But I just cant understand why my temp guage is still not reading normal. It stays near cold.

I also changed my oil this past Sunday. I used Ford Motorcraft oil (10w-40) and now I have a very slight noise in the bottom end. I used Pennzoil (same weight) and never had this issue. Motorcraft oil no good or good?

I like to use OEM equipment for my vehicles, most of the time. Like with my Dodge, I stick with a Mopar filter and M1 full synthetic oil. I went to Advance Auto and they had Motorcraft oil.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:07 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by themoparkid
I recently had a thread about my temp sensor being wacked. I replaced the sensor and my temp guage still doesn't read right. I got one of those Mr. Gasket radiator caps with a temp guage and my truck usually sits at 140 while running. But I just cant understand why my temp guage is still not reading normal. It stays near cold.
That's because 140 IS cold. Your truck should be running between 195 and 205. Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. Give the cooling system a flush while you're at it - that's why the t-stat rusted in the open position.

I also changed my oil this past Sunday. I used Ford Motorcraft oil (10w-40) and now I have a very slight noise in the bottom end. I used Pennzoil (same weight) and never had this issue. Motorcraft oil no good or good?
Motorcraft is good oil. I use Mobil-1, as I think it's the best oil you can buy, but there are many other good oils to use as well. Two that I would never use are Pennzoil and Quaker state. I don't know if it's the case anymore, but they used to contain large amounts of wax, which would build up in the engine and eventually cause it to fail.

I like to use OEM equipment for my vehicles, most of the time. Like with my Dodge, I stick with a Mopar filter and M1 full synthetic oil. I went to Advance Auto and they had Motorcraft oil.
I use motorcraft filters. There are too many cheap filters out there - never use a fram filter.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
I bet you replaced the sensor on the thermostat housing right? If so that one is for the computer and does not affect the dash gauge. The dash is fed from another sensor near the front drivers side in the lower intake, it has a single wire attached over a stud in the top.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 PM
themoparkid
Senior User
I located the sensor on the lower manifold and its the same type of temp sensor I replace in front of the engine. Also, its actually 2 wires instead of one you guys have been mentioning about. I have gotten a new t-stat and will be doing a flush and replacing the t-stat this weekend.

I still like to hear about the Motorcraft oil and why the bottom end sounds like a small diesel. Its not real bad, you can barely hear it. Like I said in the original post, I never had this problem with Pennzoil.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The two wire sensor in the driver side lower intake manifold is the air temperature sensor. The water temperature sender is more towards the front of the engine from the air temp sensor, and has one wire.

Is the Motorcraft oil a synthetic blend?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:42 AM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You never did say what brand filter you were using. What brand?
How many miles on the engine?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by themoparkid
I located the sensor on the lower manifold and its the same type of temp sensor I replace in front of the engine. Also, its actually 2 wires instead of one you guys have been mentioning about. I have gotten a new t-stat and will be doing a flush and replacing the t-stat this weekend.
That is the wrong one, it has one wire.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:45 AM
themoparkid
Senior User
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
The two wire sensor in the driver side lower intake manifold is the air temperature sensor. The water temperature sender is more towards the front of the engine from the air temp sensor, and has one wire.

Is the Motorcraft oil a synthetic blend?

The Motorcraft oil that I bought wasn't synthetic. It just said Motorcraft Premium Oil. I guess that means synthetic in Ford language?

The engine has 71k and i'm using a Motorcraft oil filter.

Anyway, got to go back cutting grass.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:55 PM
themoparkid
Senior User
Well, I honestly will never use Motorcraft oil again as I just developed a very small rod knock at the very back of the motor. Very unhappy as the motor always ran quiet even with dirty oil! Argh!!!