Oil & Lubrication  

Motor Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 01:32 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Question Motor Oil Question

This topic may have already been touched on. I have heard alot of negative feedback about Pennzoil. I've heard that it is a lousy oil, and I've heard that some kind of wax in it cloggs things etc causing problems. I think it was parafin wax. Does anybody know if this is true of not? My Dad and I don't like to change brands/types of oil in vehicles, so if we buy something we usually run whatever was being used in it prior to buying it. We have used Pennzoil in several vehicles with good results.
95 F150 200K miles (still have),
94 Dodge Caravan 245K miles (still have),
95 Berretta 175K miles (still have),
85 F150 180K (gone),
89 Mustang 120K (gone).
We don't run Pennzoil in the 97 Cobra, 65 Mustang, or 03 Maxima. The only vehicle we have had that ever needed a new engine was the 65 Mustang. Anyway, I guess what I really want to know is, should we stop using this stuff immediately or just never use it in anything else we get ie. new cars and new engines? I can't believe that it is that bad. Why the hell would they still make it?

Old 02-04-2005, 01:44 AM
ATVer1992
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never run Pennzoil in anything of mine, but I do run 10w-40 Quaker State High Mileage with about 1 ½ quarts of Lucas oil treatment in my 93 Bronco with the original 302 with just over 265Kmi. on it and it don’t burn a drop of oil, but i do have some seepage at the rear main. It leaked when I bought it at 200K and never got around to replacin the seal yet.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:05 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I'm glad to see you've had great success with your Bronco. My 95 F150 has had a little seapage at the rear main since about 150K. It has 200K now and the leak has not changed. I wouldn't change it until its time for a new motor, unless it completely goes out. We run Quaker State in both Mustangs. These trucks seem to last a long time if they are cared for. I have been told that that lucas stuff isn't any good either. Here is a link to a site that shows why you shouldnt' use lucas. You may have to copy and paste it. I don't believe in using additives. I really wish I new which oils etc were the best and which weren't. I hear too many conflicting stories.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Last edited by TexasGuy001; 02-04-2005 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:55 AM
cmlind
Senior User
Do some research. You can learn a lot here, but it may actually confuse you to know more. I learned a lot here, but am still trying to find the magic answer. There is none and the bottom line is that any Api rated oil will do fine in your engine. You probably would not notice the difference in life or performance. That being said, I like to do some research and try to use the best bang for the buck. Some of it has to do with what makes me feel good. Peace of mind is important.

A lot of people bash Pennzoil. I have had experiences in my family where it was blamed for problems. Oils are all different now. If an oil had a problem in 1970, it doesn't mean anything now. Even 2000 to 2005 oils are way different. There are a lot of factors including maintenance, climate, and engine. One guy says Valvoline ruined his engine and another said Pennzoil ruined his engine. Like you said, it probably was better back in the day to stay with one brand. I try to stay with one brand now, but have changed some.

Pennzoil is regarded as a great oil on Bobistheoilguy. It has a great base oil with a strong additive pack. It usually is on the higher end of dinos as far as price also so I don't use it. I am becomming a bargain shopper. I have been using Havoline and may use Citgo since I can get them cheap and they are regarded as very good oils. It's funny, when I came here I thought I would find out how good synthetic oils are and start using them. Instead, I went from using a syn blend to regular dino. I am confident my engines are getting great protection also.

I would recommend staying with the Pennzoil. It is good oil and has served you fine. Also, Quaker state is very similar to Pennzoil since they are owned by the same company.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:14 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several oils with high parafin content including Pennzoil. If you are changing your oil often enough, it will give you no trouble whatsoever.

For a little added peace of mind, if you will always do your oil drain when hot, it will get out more contaminants and more of the parafin will be in the oil, rather than stuck to the inside of the crankcase.

Good luck,
Doc

Old 02-04-2005, 10:54 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
The Pennzoil/wax story is an old urban myth. Far from being harmful, parafinic base stock is used for manufacture of lube oil. Parafin refers to the molecular structure. Even methane is considered a parafin.

When we think of parafin, we usually think of parafin candle wax. It was called parafin to denote that it was derived from mineral oil and not animal fat, or tallow.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Paraffin is defined as any hydrocarbon identified by saturated straight (normal) or branched (iso) carbon chains: also called an alkane. The generalized parrafinic molecule can be symbolized by the formula CnH2n+2. Paraffins are relatively non-reactive and have excellant oxidation stability. Considering that all of Pennzoils OTC oils are now blends, and that seems to be the trend with all of todays major brands, sludge and wax build up are things of the past. Pennzoil is a top rated oil nowadays. Don't be afraid to use it, it is a quality product.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:33 PM
shivelyt
Freshman User
Lots of good advice here. The bottom line is change oil on a regular basis and use whatever you are confident in and you won't have problems. If you use Lucas oil additive, it won't foam like bobistheoilguy says. I have used it for years and I drain my oil when it's hot. There was no foam when I drained it after a couple of minutes after the engine was shut off. Their methods of testing are a joke at best. If my oil was white, I would definitely drain it immediately and never use it again.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Senior User
i have ben at kwik kar 4 8 years change your oil every 3000 - 4000 mi no matter what oil is oil this is not 1970. 93 ford f150 385000 1/2 qt every 3000

Old 03-12-2005, 10:10 PM
boulderdentist
Junior User
Observation

While there may be differences in the various brands of oil, my 89 Ranger specified SG oil. I would think any SL oil of today including SuperTech, Penzoil, house brand would be far superior to what it came with at the time. Though I have used many different brands over the years including house brands, I always stuck to a 3,000 mile change interval both oil and filter. Now reading those who use oil analysis have extended out to 4,000 miles, considering 5,000, but old habits die hard. My experience, 77 Pontiac, 223,000 miles, 76 Dodge, 216,000, 84 Buick, 189,000, Mazda pick up, 193,000, current 89 Ranger is closing in on 130,000, using MotorCraft oil and filters, don't think it burns a drop but the valve cover gaskets leak.

Old 03-12-2005, 11:06 PM
javatrooper
New User
I found this article very interesting: http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm

I also have used lucas in the past and I never had any oil looking like the demo mentioned above.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
boulderdentist,

You are right old habits, along with urban myths, die hard, or never die. 3000 mile oil changes today are a myth promoted by "spiffy lube". While I use oil analysis to look for engine problems such as coolant leaks, conventional oils, including Shell's Pennzoil brand, are easily good for 5-6000 miles in most engines operated in mild climates.

Jim

Old 03-15-2005, 03:01 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I use pure PAO base oil mixed with exotic oils from the Brazilian rainforest that have been filtered through Himmalayan Alpaca wool filters. My mix is made special for me by an Arabian oil sheik in Beirut and smuggled out to me via Paris.

I have to move every 2 weeks because Israeli commandos are after my butt, but it sure is worth it. My engine will be running smooooooth 30 years after I'm dead. That's important to me.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Ford_rulez19
Freshman User
My dad and i used pennzoil on every vehicle i had but for some reason my 94-f150 doesnt like it.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:48 AM
mainecorrado
Junior User
Originally Posted by jschira
I use pure PAO base oil mixed with exotic oils from the Brazilian rainforest that have been filtered through Himmalayan Alpaca wool filters. My mix is made special for me by an Arabian oil sheik in Beirut and smuggled out to me via Paris.

I have to move every 2 weeks because Israeli commandos are after my butt, but it sure is worth it. My engine will be running smooooooth 30 years after I'm dead. That's important to me.
that's funny right there, i don't care who you are!!

Quick Reply: Motor Oil Question