Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Courtesy door switch ?? and 92-96 Flareside Tonneaus!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:29 AM
hillie16
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtesy door switch ?? and 92-96 Flareside Tonneaus!!

My dome light won't come on when I open my drivers side door, but it does when I open the passenger side, so I'm assuming this switch

is bad. Any part number or idea on what one costs? Hopefully it's not a "You can only get it from Ford for big $$$" parts like I already encountered once...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...cab-steps.html

*******ALSO********

While searching for info I found most everyone with the Flaresides has a hard time finding a tonneau for them, I'm found 2....

and here are links to the best prices I've found on them

Advantage Sure-Fit Tonneau Cover

Downey SST (Slant Side) Tonneau Cover

Not advertising for that site, just know that I've had a hard time finding these anywhere, let alone at a decent price.

I always seem to get the stuff with hard parts to find, The Flareside and my Mustang, which is more of a case where everything is more expensive because it was only 2 model years.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:24 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
not sure about the light switch,but here is where the bed cover came from that is on my 95 flareside A.R.E. : Manufacturer of fiberglass pick-up truck caps, truck canopies, tops, toppers, camper shells, hard tonneau covers, work caps and truck accessories.. the truck came with the cover on it,so I can't tell you how much it costs,but it does seem pretty sturdy,it is made of fiberglass. Not real sure I am going to leave it on my truck. It is nice when me and the kids are camping,keeps the gear dry,but it is a pain in the neck when I want to haul something.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Good find on those Flareside tonneau covers! Four years ago when I bought my 92 Flareside, I had a very hard time finding a tonneau cover for it. I ended up having to have one special ordered from a local truck accessories shop( and it was fairly pricey!)
As far as the courtesy door switch, I don't know how much it would be from Ford, but it would definitely be cheaper if you were able to find one on a truck in a junkyard. I think those switches were the same from 1987-96.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:57 PM
hillie16
Freshman User
I actually ordered it from Advanced Auto today, for $23. Also ordered one of the tonneau covers, also have a new grille and headlight doors on the way. The bug shield that was on the truck when I bought it had drain holes in it, which let the water run down the grill wearing big lines off the chrome. Just finished putting a new engine and a computer in. Next up is dual exhaust and I think that's it.

Unless someone knows where I can find this bar on the front bumper..

Old 08-01-2008, 08:28 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Hillie16, that's a nice Flareside that you have! It looks like it's in really good condition. My 92 is the same color as yours, only mine is a regular cab.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:37 PM
hillie16
Freshman User
Thanks!. I had actually bought the truck because I always loved the flaresides, and my '87 F150 needed a ton of work....then I ended up having to do a ton of work anyway lol. But the truck was in such good such shape it was worth it.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM
hillie16
Freshman User
Got the switch and put it in today.....still no dome light , looks like I'm running down some wiring.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
hillie16
Freshman User
Put the grille and headlight doors on today, the left side head light door screw holes didn't match up exactly, and the one on the outer edge of the door broke .Now the turn signal sits crooked, looks like I'm ordering another.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 PM
bbock13
New User
Hillie16, Sweet Flareside. Have one like it, just no grey stripe. Had the same problem, with the dome light; r&r'd the switch, nothing just like yours. I traced the wiring down, and found that where the installer of the alarm (that was in the truck when I got it) spliced into the drivers dome light switch. Over time the splice connection wore thru the wire completely, causing a 'short' in the wire. (for lack of a better word) Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:35 PM
hillie16
Freshman User
I'm thinking about picking up some speakers since all but one are blown and it sounds like crap. I think I'll wait and chase down the wiring problem when I tear out the interior panels to do the speakers.