HELP! My driver side window is stuck down.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 08:59 PM
skipper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know know what each wire going to the power window switch does? There are two red wires, two yellow, a blue, and a black. This is in an '86 Ford Bronco. If nobody knows off hand I guess I'll just use a power tester and figure it out myself. I just want to be able to put the window up before it rains. It's just my luck that this would happen at night when I can't see anything(my dome light is broke, and yes, out of all five of the flashlights in my house not one works).

Old 08-09-2002, 10:31 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

If it failed like the two in my 85 van the wires are all good and the motor gear mechanism just jammed. The mechanism that moves the window goes beyond its limit and the overunning clutch breaks. If you take the gearbox apart you will see the broken parts. If I remember right three 3/8" ball bearings dropped in the mechanism will fix it so it turns but the clutch function is gone. You may be able to un-jam the mechanism to get it to work for a while. The first few times mine jammed a good blow with a soft rubber mallet to the inside door panel right over the motor freed the mechanism.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2002, 03:55 PM
redneckdieselmechanic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 84 F 150. I took the door panel off and hit it with a rubber mallet a few times while holding the switch in the up position. Works fine now.

Old 08-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine stuck a few more times and I freed it up in the same manner until it stuck for the last time and I had to repair the motor gear assy.

Old 08-15-2002, 07:18 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts