6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

help! cleaning fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Durajunk Killer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help! cleaning fuel filter

my 2004 6.0 is running like crap i think i need to pull the fuel filter and clean it....from a stop light ill hit the throttle and it be really lazy and hesitate then blow a bunch of black smoke and then itll run fine it does it every once in awhile...if i need to pull the fuel filter where is it and what do i do? or if anyone has any ideas to what else it could be and how to fix it im all ears thanks!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Read this instruction sheet, it's from the Tech Folder near the top of this forum.
FUEL/WATER SEPARATOR DRAIN PROCEDURE
Make sure you change your fuel filters (2 of them) every 10,000 miles or every other oil change. If you don't you stand a good chance of damaging your injectors.
Don't clean them you have to replace the filters. Make sure they have the Aqua bloc cover on the outside of the filter for separating the water from the fuel. Any other kind of filter will damage your injectors.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
sounds like a turbo or egr problem to me, but when was the last time you changed the fuel filters? you should just replace them, you cant really clean them

Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
^^X2. Sounds like an EGR or turbo issue. If you are purchasing good diesel you can extend those fuel filter change intervals. Like mentioned in post 2, make sure you get the correct filters. Very important

Old 08-01-2008, 04:34 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Purchase Racor filters found Here . Or you can purchase the Racor Motorcraft filters from your local dealer. Do not put will-fit filters in your truck such as WIX and Luberfiner, they don't have the Aqua Bloc material on them instead they have resin which restricts flow and is hard on the fuel pump. Plus they don't filter out water very well. The filters are spendy but worth it.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:48 PM
KR DRIVER
Junior User
where can you purchase these aqua block filters? I never heard of these. I always thought that a trip to napa was good enough at 75 dollars a pop.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:56 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by KR DRIVER
where can you purchase these aqua block filters? I never heard of these. I always thought that a trip to napa was good enough at 75 dollars a pop.
These are the wrong filters: (the picture is distorted a little)

These are the right filters:

Notice the film around the larger frame rail filter? That's the Aqua Block. If your filters don't have this you are gambling with your injectors.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:06 PM
KTM525
New User
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have alot of fuel coming out when I try to change the lower filter. I undid the water drain plug and it seems like over a gallon came out so I put the plug back in. I searched the forums and got conflicting stories about raising the front end or rear end. Seems like the front end should be up to keep fuel from coming from the tank? Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:11 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by KTM525
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have alot of fuel coming out when I try to change the lower filter. I undid the water drain plug and it seems like over a gallon came out so I put the plug back in. I searched the forums and got conflicting stories about raising the front end or rear end. Seems like the front end should be up to keep fuel from coming from the tank? Any help is appreciated.
I'm lucky, my driveway slopes so my front end is a little higher plus change your filters when you are close to empty. I use a gallon jug (empty water bottle) to drain the filter and it will fill maybe 1 inch in the bottom.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:48 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KR DRIVER

Dang thats outrageous! Just go to dieslefilters and get the racor for I think its $36 bucks for the set. 8.95 flat shipping so order everything at once.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:06 PM
cando
Senior User
Originally Posted by KTM525
Something i noticed in the tech folder; It said that it would be best if you did the filter change with less then a quarter tank of fuel. I did just that and got maby a cup of fuel out of the drain plug before it stopped and i was on level ground.

Not much info but might help!

FYI- the filter up on top of the eng, you may want to find something to get the fuel out of the resivor before you put the new filter back in!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by cando
Something i noticed in the tech folder; It said that it would be best if you did the filter change with less then a quarter tank of fuel. I did just that and got maby a cup of fuel out of the drain plug before it stopped and i was on level ground.

Not much info but might help!

FYI- the filter up on top of the eng, you may want to find something to get the fuel out of the resivor before you put the new filter back in!
I have changed mine with a chock full tank and have never lost more than what is in the hfcm? And I do it on level ground

Old 08-02-2008, 07:50 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have changed my 6.0 fuel filters twice so far,,cut the top off a gallon milk jug,,my driveway is slightly uphill also,,seem to get about 1" of fuel in the jug,,then it stops. I buy my fuel filter set a the local International Truck garage,,,around $40

Old 08-02-2008, 12:37 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've changed them on our three 6.0s with full tanks, half tanks, quarter tanks, etc. and always on level ground....never had a lot of flow when I pull the drain plug.
Definitely never close to a gallon.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 PM
KR DRIVER
Junior User
Originally Posted by 06silvercrew
Dang thats outrageous! Just go to dieslefilters and get the racor for I think its $36 bucks for the set. 8.95 flat shipping so order everything at once.
Thank you

I will defenetly check that out. 36 bucks sounds alot better than 75 plus tax.

Quick Reply: help! cleaning fuel filter