Hybrid system retrofit for any car/truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:06 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hybrid system retrofit for any car/truck?

I found a site after doing a bunch of research on hydrogen, hydroxy, and O2 sensor modifying.
They sell some incredible products, including a MAP or MAF sensor attenuator to fine tune your engine for optimal fuel economy, different stages of hydroxy producers as a kit, and isolators to remove your O2 sensor from the exhaust stream to counter negative results from the use of added hydrogen/oxygen to your engine. Some kits even have measuring devices to measure actual hydroxy production in LPM.
Read some of the testimonials and you will see claims like one fellow, driving an escalade, who now gets 53 mpg. running their 'Optimizer' (air/fuel mixture control).
These systems apparently will install on any fuel injection system, and there are even carb systems available. They supposedly are launching in April 2008, a 'Protium Injector' that generates 100% of your fuel as hydrogen!? No onboard hydrogen storage, either.
Does anyone here have one or more of their products? I am seriously considering one of the deluxe kits with all the devices. I was gonna make my own bubbler, but after seeing the quality of their stuff I think I will be better off buying theirs! Oh, and the best part? I see they offer 100% satisfaction, guaranteed 20% increase in economy (on at least one of their devices), or all your money back. The prices are too good to be true, and the devices should pay for themselves quickly. Tell me what you guys think. If I save up and buy a system I will start with my Tempo and post my results when I have them.

http://www.protiumfuelsystems.com/news.html

Old 01-27-2008, 01:04 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A quick look at the products shows some 100% BS (i.e. The Protium Injector ), some product that works, but of a dubious value ( Protium Oxyisolator ) and some that could work to some degree ( Protium Fuel Optimizern ) but difficult to say how well because the manufacturers usually tune their cars reasonably well for mpg. It's much easier to "tune" for more power than for better mpg, BTW.

In any case, buy one and tell us your results.

PS: any system that generates hydrogen onboard with electricity while driving is a BS/scam.

Last edited by aurgathor; 01-27-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:49 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by aurgathor
A quick look at the products shows some 100% BS (i.e. The Protium Injector ), some product that works, but of a dubious value ( Protium Oxyisolator ) and some that could work to some degree ( Protium Fuel Optimizern ) but difficult to say how well because the manufacturers usually tune their cars reasonably well for mpg. It's much easier to "tune" for more power than for better mpg, BTW.

In any case, buy one and tell us your results.

PS: any system that generates hydrogen onboard with electricity while driving is a BS/scam.
Actually, there is a setting with the Optimizer which will lay down full injector pressure for WOT runs, and an ability to crank up the fuel when pulling a trailer or steep hill climbing.

But what do you mean by "any system that generates hydrogen onboard with electricity while driving is a BS/scam"? I can throw a system together in a few minutes that can generate hydrogen while driving my vehicle...? It isn't rocket science... Or are you referring to making ENOUGH hydrogen to run a car 100% from the electrolysis?

Old 01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trinogt
But what do you mean by "any system that generates hydrogen onboard with electricity while driving is a BS/scam"? I can throw a system together in a few minutes that can generate hydrogen while driving my vehicle...? It isn't rocket science... Or are you referring to making ENOUGH hydrogen to run a car 100% from the electrolysis?
OK, I wasn't 100% clear, but I thought that, especially for the OP, it should be obvious that it was in reference to:
They supposedly are launching in April 2008, a 'Protium Injector' that generates 100% of your fuel as hydrogen!? No onboard hydrogen storage, either.
I hereby apologize that I didn't expect you to be that cynical.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by aurgathor
Um, hello? This is the response I was replying to, because anyone knows you can generate hydrogen while driving!

I am quite surpised at the number of neighsayers in this forum. Maybe there should be a forum for 'those opposed to alternative fuels'?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 PM
devja71
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't imagine anyone's opposed to it so much. it just sounds too good to be true. people are tired of getting their hopes up from something better, and then being let down. if someone actually makes an easy way of getting 53mpg out of a boat-size suv and the idea gets out, you can bet the oil companies'l hire someone to off the deal and hire some johnny cocrane's to cover it up. think? check out utube, punch up ev ranger, or for that matter anything ev, looks like we could drive from a solar panel and a couple hrs of plug-in time, but they won't let that happen. there's a utube clip of a guy driving around in his ev ranger, his girlfriend camcordered from the passenger seat, she zoomed up the speedo on the freeway and it shoots up to 70mph w/no effort at all. from the sounds of it the ev ranger's where only leased for a couple years- not sold, and every one that returns from the lease then gets sent to the crusher. sickening. sorry to redirection your thread, i'll be quiet now.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
I think the clip might have been from the movie: "Who killed the Electric Car"

They had the EV Ranger, plus the GM EV1. The EV1 was on a three year lease basis, with most all lessees not wanting to return the car, and some even tried to buy them. GM would not budge on that. There were even rallies taking place at the sites of the storage and crushing lots, but that didn't stop the crushing.
That is why I believe the plug in hybrid will be the best choice in the near future. Especially if you capture the sun or wind to utilize for recharging.
I work at a custom golf kart shop that turns karts into hot rods, and seeing all the batteries and electric motors around sure makes me want to shell out the $6000 or so for an electric conversion of my Tempo! lol I doubt I would get the 60 mile range I need and the 55 mph speeds because of lack of battery space.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:33 PM
devja71
Senior User
the ranger ev clip is seperate from the 'who killed the e car' i just punched in ranger ev on utube and i think it comes up as 'ev ranger first impression' or something

Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Oh, ok... Like maybe a clip from a tv show, like Car and Driver or something? Or is it amateur in quality?

I would sure like to own one, though I know it's not likely to happen...
It sounded like it had great speed and range, too...

Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 AM
devja71
Senior User
no it's certainly an amature video, nothing commercialized, or i wouldn't watch it let alone pass it on. just a regular guy driving and his girl filming

Old 02-24-2008, 02:12 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"I work at a custom golf kart shop that turns karts into hot rods, and seeing all the batteries and electric motors around sure makes me want to shell out the $6000 or so for an electric conversion of my Tempo! lol I doubt I would get the 60 mile range I need and the 55 mph speeds because of lack of battery space. "

Get some info on the EV conversions using forklift motors, etc. If you have a cheap source of batteries you could do one reasonably. I'd cut up an old Ranger instead of a Tempo. The bed would be easier to use for batteries, and the Ranger would be much easier to work with.

"I found a site after doing a bunch of research on hydrogen, hydroxy, and O2 sensor modifying."

Anything not exhaustively verified by independent third party dynamometer or other scientific analysis is crap. Testimonials are not data, and anyone can fabricate them.

My attitude toward anyone selling any performance (speed or economy) product is "be prepared to prove it works or go stick your head in a wood chipper!".

Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
fordescape1
New User
Arrow got one

After a over a month of researching this technology I have just purchased one of these systems. There are several companies that manufacture these systems out there, but there are a few important reasons I chose this company. I have a 2004 Escape (the last model year designed by Ford Truck engineering) and will be installing it on it. I also have a close friend who is a fuel system engineer and the current plan is to gather as much data from my escape as we can. I will report back here with my findings if ya'll are interested...

Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trinogt

I am quite surpised at the number of neighsayers in this forum. Maybe there should be a forum for 'those opposed to alternative fuels'?
Some of us are trying to save you guys money and time, but this stuff has become a "religion". The debate between "believers" and "neighsayers".

Did anyone actually study science in school? I took chemistry, physics and thermodynamics and got passing grades. But many of you insist that it is all a big conspiracy between oil companies, auto companies and government. If that was so, how come GM, Ford and Chrysler are bleeding billions and headed for bankruptcy court. Is that just part the coverup, too?

This forum is about alternative fuels, but I dont think snake oil qualifies.

Jim

Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 PM
1969fordguy
Senior User
oh so now you can't burn snake oil?!??!

I have a fellow employee here at work that is building a hydrogen generator that he will install on his 6cylinder F-150. I'll be watching his progress... I have yet to hear from anyone with one of these that work.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Some of us are trying to save you guys money and time, but this stuff has become a "religion". The debate between "believers" and "neighsayers".

Did anyone actually study science in school? I took chemistry, physics and thermodynamics and got passing grades. But many of you insist that it is all a big conspiracy between oil companies, auto companies and government. If that was so, how come GM, Ford and Chrysler are bleeding billions and headed for bankruptcy court. Is that just part the coverup, too?

This forum is about alternative fuels, but I dont think snake oil qualifies.

Jim
Actually, it is the unions that kill the automakers, and have been for some time. The Japanese companies, like Toyota, turn a great profit consistently because of a much lower overhead, afforded by cheaper labor.
If you don't believe in conspiracies, take a listen to the radio and television ads, and you will hear about places that say 'There isn't a better time to sell your gold jewelry, with the price of gold so high'...
There is a reason for this, and it is directly linked to the Federal Reserve and the abolishment of the old, trustworthy 'gold standard'. Watch this video and see what you think. There are much bigger things coming down the road that some of you will be sorry you didn't heed the warnings. See how a new Corvette actually costs $1200 on the old system:

YouTube - GOLD v.s. DOLLAR The FEDERAL RESERVE IS DESTROYING ECONONOMY

And 10 years ago, people were saying that something will happen to cause gas prices to hit $4-$5 a gallon in the US before 2010. That is already happening, even though everyone told me then it would never happen...

Quick Reply: Hybrid system retrofit for any car/truck?