1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

No start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No start

Truck died. I was on the freeway going 70 mph and it felt like I had a plugged fuel filter. I switched from the WVO tank to the Biodiesel tank and it ran better. 5 miles later it lost power and died.
Checked the fuel filter and there was little fuel in the filter housing. I could see fuel in the valley.
When the tow truck loaded the pickup on the flatbed fuel leaked on to the ground.

So it thought I had just a fuel pump failure. I replace the fuel pump and no start.
I checked fuse 22 in the power box it was good. Checked IHOP oil level it was full.
Check to see if any wire were pulled off when I pulled the fuel pump out and cannot see any missing wires.

What next?

Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you measured fuel pressure? Did the fuel filter housing fill back up after the fuel pump change?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 PM
willbd
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Have you measured fuel pressure? Did the fuel filter housing fill back up after the fuel pump change?
No and yes

Old 07-26-2008, 09:50 PM
willbd
Senior User
very low fuel pressure

I installed a pressure gauge and there is very low pressure. Less that 5 psig.
When I had the fuel filter housing out I check the screen and it was clean.
Possible fuel pressure regulator?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:05 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a second filter screen on the FPR. It is in the black plastic bowl that is mounted under the FPR. But you say you have a leak. Did you find the source of the leak yet?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:02 AM
willbd
Senior User
Originally Posted by scatgo
There is a second filter screen on the FPR. It is in the black plastic bowl that is mounted under the FPR. But you say you have a leak. Did you find the source of the leak yet?
That’s the one I cleaned. I did not clean the one between the regulator and fuel bowl.
I had a leak on the weep hole of the old fuel pump.
I got it to fire up. It's running rough. Took of the test ride and it ran good for about 2 miles and than I thought it would not make it home. I am off to bed and sleep on it. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:31 AM
willbd
Senior User
fires and then dies

Went out to start and it fires and then dies. I tested fuel pressure last night when it was running and it had 50 psig @ idle.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:39 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Do you know how to shim the FPR to raise the pressure? You might want to try this after you inspect the regulator and make sure its not gunked up. And if you replaced the fuel pump with a rebuilt one it dose not mean it is good. I had a rebuilt alternator go on me the day I left the garage that replaced it and a rebuilt water pump go on me a few days after I replaced that. It don't happen often but every now and again you can get a bum rebuilt part.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by willbd
Took of the test ride and it ran good for about 2 miles and than I thought it would not make it home
IPR orings can cause this to happen.
It will start and run OK because the oil is still thick enough not to leak past the orings. The hotter/thinner oil will leak past the orings and cuase it to run rough and/or stall-out.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went out to start and it fires and then dies. I tested fuel pressure last night when it was running and it had 50 psig @ idle.
Disconnect the IPC sensor on the front of the driverside head. If it fires up...you may need an IPC sensor.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:03 PM
willbd
Senior User
I pulled the regulator off to clean the screen. Where is the screen? Found a little ball and don't see any screen. The rubber gasket between the fuel filter housing and regulator is looking bad.

The fuel pump is new.
I check fuel pressure today. None.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
willbd
Senior User
Last night I had 50 psig @ idle. Today nothing. I used a vacuum pump to remove air from the fuel system. I started engine. It ran for about 3 minutes. No pressure built on 100 psig gauge. I pulled a vacuum again and installed a compound gauge on the fuel pressure regulator and started engine I ran rough for about 1 minute that smoothed out. I turned off the engine when the gauge was reading 10 hg.
I am thinking bad new pump. Started and ran with 50 psig. No the system is pulling vacuum. If it was just an air leak it would not pull vacuum on the fuel regulator.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:14 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
Disconnect the IPC sensor on the front of the driverside head. If it fires up...you may need an IPC sensor.
X2 Could be a sensor. It takes about 1 second to test the IPC. Make sure you do this! Like I said its rare to get a bad rebuild. Is the check engine light on ?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 AM
willbd
Senior User
Cool Bad replacement pump X2

I pulled the wiring on the IPC just gave a check engine light would not start.
I confirmed that the new pump was defective. 0 psig while cranking. Pulled and installed new pump. Pressure test was 55 psig with the needle on gauge bouncing from 45 to 55. The first pump had a steady 50 psig no bounce. Lasted less than 5 miles this pump lasted 15 to 20 miles. I had is idling for 20 minute and it sounded strong. On the road test in town it ran like a new truck. Decided to run it out on the highway and it just died. I am on the road all week will do pressure test on pump on Friday.

What are the odds of 2 pumps that fail in less than a day?
Thanks to all that chimed in. This is driving me crazy. I have no faith in the lift pump I will be installing on Friday.

PS.....
The fuel filter was empty on all 3 pump failures.

Last edited by willbd; 07-28-2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: More info
Old 07-28-2008, 04:00 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
I pulled the regulator off to clean the screen. Where is the screen? Found a little ball and don't see any screen. The rubber gasket between the fuel filter housing and regulator is looking bad.

The fuel pump is new.
I check fuel pressure today. None.
When I got my truck the screen was missing too. Dint notice it till I pulled apart the fuel filter housing to give it a good cleaning. The truck ran fine for the 5 months I used it before I noticed the screen was missing.