1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

towing mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
towing mirrors

I'm planning to use my 48F1 for some towing duties from time to time and I've also got an "old timey" mild steel steel sheet metal camper shell too, so I was wondering if you've seen or used any "big type" towing mirrors that look as good as possible--meaning a little oldtimey--that you can recommend. I'm thinking of somehow using a pair of "single mirrored" door mounted extended arm mirrors and just adding maybe the stick on convex round mirrors etc--or anything really. I just don't want a 21st century look if I can avoid it. I know those original "long arm type extended" mirrors with the 6inch? round glass are really cool looking --if I could even findem--but I'm not sure that's quite as functional as I might want. Maybe they'ed work? I recall seeing them on plenty of big "old" trucks when I didn't want'em, but I've only seen them rarely on ebay etc, and the condition looked pretty bad and I wonder how really functional they would be when compared to the more modern stuff? I need both functionality and looks
I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:45 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Tom, if you want to stay orig. look at the mirrors that Hot Rod Trucks has. The "exact of original" hinge mount P/N 8C-18402-A might work for you. I haven't talked to them but I think the have them for both sides. The chrome finished hinge mirrors P/N 68-17741 might work as well. Just a thought.

Gil

Old 07-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Hot Rod Trucks?

Thanks for the part numbers and such, but could you tell me where etc Hot Rod Trucks? I'm not familiar with them and I did a bit of search and found lots of similar web sites, but apparantly not this one specifically.
Thanks Tom

Old 07-26-2008, 05:16 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Tom, Hot Rods Classic truck Parts in New Carlisle Ohio. I have thier web address but everytime I post a web address, the system dumps my post. Just type in "www.hotrodstrucks dot com." Maybe that will post. Of course use (.) in place of dot. Tech Ph # 1-937-845-1966, Fax 937-845-0733.

Gil

Old 07-26-2008, 05:50 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tom, i pull a 23ft. boat with my 42 with original round mirrors. granted, i can't see as well as i'm used to, but it is acceptible. as you obviously have the ability to fabricate, you could take old set and cut and section arm to make longer. 6 inch would give more visibility, but might look a little out of place.(IMHO). jcwhitney has old style mirrors in western style, but they might be out of place also. youcould contact mack trucks in penn. and see if they have nos arms and mirrors. just a thought.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:56 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Tom, didn't notice it before, but look on the left side of the screen, Hot Rods Trucks Parts is one of our sponsors. Just click on thier name and it will take you to the web site.

Gil

Old 07-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

mirrors

Thanks all, I've got some good leads. And Gil I definitely see the Hot Rod Classic Truck Store now-ya their ad-I need to look around a bit. I looked through their on line catalog and I plan to check out the details regarding the P/N 8C-18402-A. That's exactly the mirror I was remembering. I like its looks and I might be able to get by with it as is. If they make a drivers side and a passenger side too--I'm guessing they do, but I don't see it mentioned in the catalog-I'll probably order a set. And if they don't make one for the passener side, I'll bet I could somehow modify it and make it work Ok. Just guessing. I forgot all about that store--I've been to their site before, because I recognized the people pictured at their site. I just forgot about the place. I ordered a catalog. Thanks again.
Tom

Old 07-26-2008, 10:03 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the mirrors on Bob Jones Panel. He made them and they look good and may give you the visability you are looking for.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:15 AM
52'F-3
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a few on the board are using "Jr. West Coast" style mirrors, these are mine, their not ford factory, but close enough to era correct for me.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:19 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tom, the mirrors that 52'f-3 shows are very similar to jc whitney style.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:18 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
If you look in my gallery, my truck has the 'west coast' style mirrors. Mine are Ford stamped. I can't prove they're original equipment for our trucks, but they are Ford factory products for something.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Yes I looked-Liftech-at your gallery with F350 and I like those mirrors too. Maybe I'll go that way. I don't know yet, but those look pretty and very! functional. A guys gotta have both qualities in a mirror.

Thanks Tom

Old 07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Jr West Coast Mirrors

52 F-3 I also like those Jr West Coast Mirrors.

Tom

Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I just installed these:

I can adjust them to go at less of an angle as well...so they would reach out further to the side for towing.

They go from 10" to 15" and sort of resemble the OEM truck mirrors.

BobJ49F2 found them for us.

Old style truck mirror bracket

Old 07-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Thanks for the photos Brian_B. Those are cool too. Where could one buy those?

Tom

Quick Reply: towing mirrors