CHARGE or not to charge

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 04:19 AM
spacecoast
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post CHARGE or not to charge

Hi folks, I have a problem that maybe you guys can steer in in the right direction on.

I have a 53 F100 with a 351 W. About 4 weeks ago the alt.(BTW this truck has a wire works wiring kit)went bad and I replaced it with a RB. All was Ok until last week when it stopped charging - again.

I tested the 2 wire alt and got a little less than battery voltage at the field terminal and about 16 volts at the battery terminal. Still I take it back and the store checks it out and finds it is OK.

The volt (not amp) meter has shown crazy readings since we bought the truck. Anywhere off of idle - with the AC going - the needle bounced around 14 to 15 volts.

I think - regulator but, I can't find one anywhere under the hood or either side of the firewall or under the dash. The parts guy swears to me that the regulator is NOT integral with the alt.

Old 10-23-2002, 02:39 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CHARGE or not to charge

Well if you trace the wire from the "F" field terminal of the alternator back eventually you will come to the regulator.
That is if it has one Since it has a field terminal I can only assume it has a regulator external to the alternator. There I go again assuming stuff that is usually a bad thing to do

Sparky

Old 10-23-2002, 08:52 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CHARGE or not to charge