Timing chain cover round gasket leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:40 PM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Timing chain cover round gasket leaking

Hi,

I will be reinstalling the timing chain cover and want to know the best way to do so without distorting the little round rubber gasket on the backside causing it to leak. Do I put the cover on first and then the steel sleeve on or use the sleeve to help center it and then bolt the cover to the block? Not to mention the front of the oil pan too. I had a slight leak around it last time and it was slinging oil on the cover. Not sure if it's possible for the gasket / sleeve combo to not leak. Any suggestions?

Thank You

Old 07-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Rebel Warrior
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Personal preference

I would probably get the cover set in place ready to tighten up then slip the balancer hub in to help align it then tighten the bolts. I have to ask are you using a new hub or are you using an old one with a sleeve kit, if the latr one use a sealant when installing the sleeve, or oil could seep through. Just my thoughts. hope they help.-RW

Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to a local auto parts store yesterday and was able to pick-up a sleeve kit for it. Hopefully it helps.

Thanks again

Old 07-29-2008, 02:22 PM
1985 Ford F-150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I did was put the cover on and tighten it all down then I put the sleeve on and no leaks with a High volume oil pump runnin about 60 psi when its all warmed up and on the highway.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
fastfarmer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When installing the timing cover on an FE I always slip the spacer onto the crank snout before tightening the cover bolts to make sure the front seal is centered. Don't forget the oil slinger ( the washer-like object that slips onto the crank snout after the timing gears are installed, before the cover goes on). I've heard that if you leave it out it might cause leakage from the front seal.