1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

talk me out of it or into it ...............

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
talk me out of it or into it ...............

allright guys . as i posted i was given a really big pos 61 or 62 f350 . im gonna be headed out there to cut the remainder of the cab and whats left of the dump bed off { yeah they are really that far gone !! } hopefully some time next week . when i drag it out i have some plans for different parts like stealing the 12 volt generator and using it after a rebuild for the 53 . well im 99.9 % sure the rear axle is gonna be a bolt in for the 49 { f-4 } . but im unsure yet about the front .it appears its gonna be to wide by 2 inches . well after no.dummy passed along some info i started to think . now remember i havent yet compared the spindles or anything yet to see if they are compatible between the two . well anyway remembering i dont have a whole lot of experience with straight axles and such , i was wondering if , and im assuming this is a doable thing can i put a bushing in the kingpin to take it from the 1.12 diameter of the 49 to the .92 of the 6? kingpin and spindles. also and again i haven't any thing other than the figures i got , can you feasibly have a machine shop shave either off the inside of the spindle or off the axle the difference to make the later spindle fit .pin length for the 49 7.10 the 6? 7.00 . ooops outta space i'll post another peice here in a second .

Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
the reason for all of this is that i want to update the brakes and rear diff to newer parts { bonus is they're free } and a little easier to find rim and tires , yet still retain some of the" old parts " character and feel of it . the wife thinks it'll sell and i want a toy to experiment on as i dont wanna mess up my 53 doing this . im also considering pulling the flathead and tranny and parking them in a nice safe spot in the garage and put in the 360 and c-6 i got here to make it a little more practical for my use / purposes . by the way if i can get started on this lil' side project is anyone out here in truck land in need of the hydraulics and associated hardware ? i am gonna be pulling the bed as it is pretty shot , and all the lift stuff as it wont be neede or useful . just gonna be a straight out flat bed if i can get going ... but of course first i gotta get the 53 back up and going ...

Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
ok i geuss no one thinks as screwed up as i do .... but i talked to a real ol' timer who he and his son still run their parts biz and machine shop { dad is the machinist } and he answered one question . can i put a bushing in to allow the smaller king pin . he says yes , it was common practice many moons ago to ream out out of round axles and install a bushing . kinda figured this , but was hoping one of ya's had some input . later i'll go out and eyeball the axle and see if'n my retarded thought process can come up with a solution for the other problem as i am assuming ,until i get a good look at the 60 something spindles that something is gonna have to have a lil' material removed to make it fit together . so have any of you especially the older ones ever took the proverbial BFH and made it fit like i'm thinking ?? if so let me hear your thought's please .done plenty 'o' monkeying on a race car , some kinda so-so but i wasn't gonna depend on it to run daily ......... so guys any thought's ideas cmon now take some good meds and let your mind expand ................

Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'd save all of the hydraulic lift stuff. They can easily be rebuilt/resealed, and are quite expensive otherwise. Someone will want them, I'm sure.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:38 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
really dont have the room for it right now havi for very long . i'm going to take the frame / donor vehicle out to my daughter and son in laws place in mechanicsburg about 16 miles away and take it apart there for the same reason . no room really . i'm starting to gather up a bunch of stuff again ........LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! so hopefully when i get it done someone will want it .