1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Paranoid?

HI Guys!

I'm not sure if you were following the great brake noise caper that LiftTech posted, but during the course of trying to ascertain a brake configuration, I removed my wheel to take pictures.

I have aluminum wheel adaptors on the front so my wheel bolt patterns are the same all the way around ('68 9 3/8 Ford rear end).

Anyway, little weakling me didn't get the stupid lug nuts tight enough on the adaptor and ended up loosing the wheel at about 20 mph. The truck nosed onto the backing plate and outer edge of the brake drum.

The backing plate ate off about 1/4 inch x 3 inches off the bottom but it seems ok - not bent. The drum lost about 1/8" max off the center of a grind about 3 inches long also.

I got the thing home, filed the burr off the backing plate and put it back together. It turns ok and seems to be not out of round. The wheel is slightly light now on the side with the grinds and will turn until that is UP.

I've driven it about 50 miles, checked the adaptor lugs for tightness, and it seems ok, but at high speed it just doesn't "feel" the same. Plus now when I am stopped and have it on the jack stand, I can turn the wheel and it sounds like a bearing is starting to go. Although I don't remember it not being like that before....I'm wondering if I'm being paranoid or what - everything looks ok.

I am feeling like maybe I need to toss the brake drum and get a replacement, and also change out the inner and outer bearings.

What do you guys think? Any other concerns? Anyone got a serviceable front drum for a 51 F1?

Thanks,
Julie

Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea,..could be paranoid,..or maybe just real nervous. Do you have a torque spec for the adapters? Can you fit a cheater-bar over your torquewrench?..so you can get a little more leverage?

Somehow I see you going the full repair with new wheel-bearings and another drum...just so you can get your hands dirty on a Saturday nite..

Maybe you have a "new" vibration/noise completly unrelated...
I say put a few more miles on it around the town, to settle any questions and get a little more familiar with it, before any hi-way speeds...you may just be paranoid..Lol!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you're going to feel a little gun shy for awhile as you do tend to hear noises you didn't hear before after an experience like that. It's sort of like having an accident and then when you drive again it seems like everybody is out to get you. HA! I'd chalk it up to mild pananoia at this point and just drive it for awhile as Cmoritz suggested. Perhaps it's time to start planning a change to get the bolt pattern the same all around WITHOUT wheel adapters. I've never had one come loose but I'm still not a big fan of them either...

Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,911 Likes on 1,865 Posts
I think its probably paranoia. Its only natural to be hyper-sensitive after something like that.

I once lost the left front tire off of a 64 F-100 going down main street after all thelug nuts on the left front came loose. I got to watch as it rolled off into incoming traffic and down the street. I rolled along on the drum into a parking lot. I was maybe 16 at the time and dead broke. I spent the rest of that day jacking up each of the other three corners of the truck so I could rob a stud from each one. I finally got the the robbed studs banged into place on the left front and the wheel back in place and managed to drive the truck home.

Nothinglike working 6 hours in the hot sun because I didn't have the $5 it would have cost for a handful of wheel studs.....LOL

I say drive it....carefully at first....while you search around for a new drum.
Bobby

Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only real concern would be if drum lost enough meat that wheel would be out of balance. speed balance on truck could eliminate this, but?

Old 07-23-2008, 08:15 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
You know you'll end up replacing it, get it over with!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
I'm wondering if I'm being paranoid or what - everything looks ok.

Thanks,
Julie
It's not Paranoia, it's just being perfectly aware.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Cyruscosmo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is your life worth?

I have done the same silly thing twice in my rebuilding experience and both times I was told by a friend of mine who has since passed away… How much is your life worth?

I replaced everything from the backing plate out at a cost of 80 some odd bucks with my first car to almost 200 bucks with my truck 12 years later. I think my life is worth a bit more than that.

Cyrus