1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Software search...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Software search...

Hi Everyone,
I have a question that is a bit off topic here but it does apply to what we are trying to do here on this forum. As I have mentioned previously here, I don't use the gallery feature because I have my own websites. I do this for several reasons. First and foremost it gives me more control over content, file size and general creative control. It also helps the FTE site conserve space for others on their servers. One of the things I like to do is add sound and video files. The problem is that I need some kind of file conversion software that will convert my sound and video files to bit streaming files. The servers at the ISP that I have my stuff on are not streaming servers like the ones used by radio stations. Their server software only supports Microsoft's Fromt Page extensions. I did some preliminary research and I learned that there is conversion software out there that will convert my video and audio files for streaming. What streaming does is allow you to see and hear the files when you click on the link. As it is right now, you have to wait for the entire file to download to your computer before it will play. For an example of this, CLICK HERE and then click on the link for one of the truck pull videos. If the files were converted to streaming files it would start playing as soon as you clicked on it. Of course that assumes you are using a high speed connection. Even with a 6 M-bit connection you have to sit and wait as it is.

I want to use video as well as still pictures to document the project when I get started on my '53. As I said before, this is a bit off topic and I realize a lot of you folks aren't into this stuff, but I just thought somebody out there might have sone idea where I might be able to get some cheap conversion software or maybe even a free download of some shareware. I think it would be really cool to have the work documented with streaming video on my site.

Later Folks...

Old 07-22-2008, 03:25 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you put the videos up on Youtube, you can have links on your web page that will either play them directly, or take someone straight to Youtube. Like on this blog page: mackrotonal: The Seven Days of J-POP - Part II : Tomoe Shinohara

For sound files, you could do what some people do for posting music on Youtube: add a still picture or slideshow to make up the "video" portion to accompany the sound.

I still like the option to download video or audio in (relatively) high-quality. This is especially helpful if you've got a slow internet connection.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Thanks...

Originally Posted by angus
If you put the videos up on Youtube, you can have links on your web page that will either play them directly, or take someone straight to Youtube. Like on this blog page: mackrotonal: The Seven Days of J-POP - Part II : Tomoe Shinohara

For sound files, you could do what some people do for posting music on Youtube: add a still picture or slideshow to make up the "video" portion to accompany the sound.

I still like the option to download video or audio in (relatively) high-quality. This is especially helpful if you've got a slow internet connection.

I would really rather steer clear of YouTube. I have my reasons which you may or may not agree with. In adition to that, the audio stuff is supposed to work in connection to the pages being viewed. I won't be able to do that with YouTube. In the Front Page book by QUE, (About a 5 pound book), it states that there are file converter applications out there that will go into a streaming mode when linked from the web page. I alredy have the files on the server but they will not play until fully downloaded to the viewer's computer. If someone has a dial-up connection it would take an hour to get something. I may have to note that on the site. Even the pictures would take a while to download.

I do appreciate you respones to the post I did. I wasn't too surprised that there was no response but I thought it was worth a try. You never know...

Later Man...

Old 07-22-2008, 06:04 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dave boley
I would really rather steer clear of YouTube. I have my reasons which you may or may not agree with. In the Front Page book by QUE, (About a 5 pound book), it states that there are file converter applications out there that will go into a streaming mode when linked from the web page. I alredy have the files on the server but they will not play until fully downloaded to the viewer's computer. If someone has a dial-up connection it would take an hour to get something. I may have to note that on the site. Even the pictures would take a while to download.

I do appreciate you respones to the post I did. I wasn't too surprised that there was no response but I thought it was worth a try. You never know...

Later Man...
Dave - streaming video isn't a product of software so much as a product of a process - your server has to be able to support streaming video. I suggest you check with your provider's IT guys, and see if they are set up for streaming video. If not, you can ask them what it would take to get set up. Chances are, they probably are, but don't broadcast it, because it eats a lot of bandwidth. As for the dial up guys, they won't be any more happy with streaming than downloading, and really should be downloading anyway. Not too many are on dial up, and I know it sounds callous, but unless they live someplace that high speed just ISN'T available, they deserve what they get. It IS the 21st Century, after all...and high speed is just a few bucks more than dial up, in most cases. NO one programs for dial up, anymore, not the web page guys, the IT guys, or the advertisers. Just a fact of life...

You might look into progressive downloading, which is what a lot of sites use, where you can watch it as it downloads, as it's downloading. It is close, but not quite the same as streaming. Still no good for dial up, though. Small pictures and text are about as good as it gets for dial up...

To get an idea what it takes to stream, either unicast or multicast, as well as on demand, here's a couple links. They are pretty comprehensive, and you will get a pretty good idea what you are looking at, as far as getting streaming video up and running...

Streaming Video description

What it takes to stream video

All in all, it ain't as easy as it seems! I know you have your reasons for being against youtube, but your best solution might be to post there, and embed the video on your site. Or, ask your provider...

R

Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Thanks...

Originally Posted by rcav8or
Dave - streaming video isn't a product of software so much as a product of a process - your server has to be able to support streaming video. I suggest you check with your provider's IT guys, and see if they are set up for streaming video. If not, you can ask them what it would take to get set up. Chances are, they probably are, but don't broadcast it, because it eats a lot of bandwidth. As for the dial up guys, they won't be any more happy with streaming than downloading, and really should be downloading anyway. Not too many are on dial up, and I know it sounds callous, but unless they live someplace that high speed just ISN'T available, they deserve what they get. It IS the 21st Century, after all...and high speed is just a few bucks more than dial up, in most cases. NO one programs for dial up, anymore, not the web page guys, the IT guys, or the advertisers. Just a fact of life...

You might look into progressive downloading, which is what a lot of sites use, where you can watch it as it downloads, as it's downloading. It is close, but not quite the same as streaming. Still no good for dial up, though. Small pictures and text are about as good as it gets for dial up...

R
Roger,
I think the progressive downloading is what I'm after. I do realize that streaming is a product of the server and the software running on it. My hosting ISP is actually owned and operated by a Han Radio buddy of mine and I get my space there for my domains for free as I do things for him. His server site has several streaming servers that run there for local radio stations. My priveledges and friendship only go so far. I'm not about to impose on him for more than I have. There are issues connected with YouTube that people don't realize. The internet is as always a two way street and when you open the door to sites like YouTube you are asking for trouble. They aren't giving you all that space because they love you. I have software that logs the hits and intrusions on my local network. When I go on YouTube those incidents increase. For the most part they are harmless with exception of using up pace and time. If I tighten up the security enough to stop it all it also causes other problems. There are other issues it would also interfere with that I don't really want to go into here.

Thanks for the reply and your suggestions.

Later Man...