Prodigy Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:07 PM
flybaby_3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prodigy Brake Controller

I've just switched from a Tekonsha Voyager to the Prodigy Brake Controller because of the jerking at slow speeds in town. On the highway the old controller worked great and you could really feel it pull you down to a stop. Anyway, the Prodigy totally eliminated the jerking but no matter how I adjust it, it doesn't seem to have the stopping power the old Voyager did. I must be missing something in the instructions. I tried different settings today on the way home but because it was raining I didn't experiment too much. Everybody raves about the Prodigy and for the most part I like it too. Just would like to feel more braking from the trailer. Anybody use one of these and have some pointers???

PS. 2001 SD SC V10 pulling a 28' Prowler (#7800GVWR)

Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 PM
KON 1786
New User
The Prodigy has lots of features read the Instructions closely i have installed many on customers trucks and they love them.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
I love my Prodigy.

Did you set the boost for your TT weight? The boost determines the amount (%) of power initially sent to the breaks when they are applied.

You also have to realize that the Prodigy is an inertia based controller - the harder you stop, the more power it sends out. SO on a 'regular' stop it'll seem like the controller is not working because it is adjusting based on the inertia it is sensing.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM
elmo8641
Elder User
i beleive it is working the way it should. it is not like a timed controler where the same amount of power is used no mater how hard you are stopping. the great thing about this control is that you barely know the trailer is back there. the trailer should not stop the truck. it should just help stop the trailer. it is based off how fast you are stoping. if you set your boost it will give it more power if that is want you want.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
flybaby_3
Junior User
I did try different boost settings. But like I said it was raining and I didn't want to get into a situation. I currently have it set at "b2" and that seemed better. Not planning on towing again for a couple of weeks, so I'll have some time to think about it.
I really like the backing up feature. It's a pleasure to park in a camping site now.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
might be a good idea to check the brake adjustment. to the best of my knowledge most trailer drum brakes are NOT self adjusting like the ones on a car or truck

Old 07-21-2008, 09:14 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
When you set up the 'initial' power level...it tells you to drive about 25mph in a safe area like a parking lot and manually apply the brakes with the prodigy lever FULL ON. If the wheels lock...lower the power...if they don't...up the power.

Keep doing this to adjust your brakes to just below lock up.

However...many trailers...especially the heavier ones...won't get lock up so you should set the power to 12.

You have to remember that the Prodigy will use a sliding scale. That scales upper point is the power you SET in that initial setup.

As you decelelerate your TV...it determines how fast you are decelerating and applies a proportional amount of that FULL SCALE setting to the trailer brakes.

As an example:

A braking event is similar in the following two cases. Your braking calls for 50% of braking be applied to your trailer brakes (ignoring boost for a moment).

Let's say you set your FULL SCALE to 8 volts. 50% means you would get 4 volts to your brakes.

Now lets say you set your FULL SCALE to 12 volts. 50% would obviously mean you would get 6 volts to your trailer brakes.

In the former case you would NOT be getting sufficient brake power because you simply under set your FULL SCALE.

So it is important to have the proper upper limit power level. Did you follow the proper setup instructions?

I have NEVER adjusted my power level after the initial setup...NEVER...

Now boost...

I run all three or none at all depending on the conditions.

The manual tells you how to set up boost depending on the weight of your trailer to your tow vehicle...that is a good one to use as your 'standard'. If your TV is equal to or more than your trailer...use boost off or b1. If your trailer weighs up to 25% of your TV...use b1 or b2 and if your trailer weighs up to 40% more than your TV...use b2 or b3 and if your trailer outweighs your TV by more than 40%...use b3

b1 gives you 13% more initial braking power for the first 2 seconds of the braking event
b2 gives you 25% more initial braking power for the first 2 seconds of the braking event
b3 gives you 25% more initial braking power for the first 2+ seconds of the braking event (this is NOT documented in the manual but I called Tekonsha tech support)

What I do is when I get into a campground...I take off boost to stop the jerky stops.

A simple look at the display tells you if boost is on...if you see TWO DOTS surrounding the .C. you have some level of boost on. If you only see ONE DOT in front of the .C you know you have no boost.

When I am in steep down hill decents...I run b3 and lightly touch my brakes to simply activate the brake light circuit and have the TT brakes working but not my TV brakes.

So I use situational dependence on boost. and again I NEVER touch the voltage setting.

I'd say go back thru the intial setup instructions...you may not have your FULL SCALE set high enough and during braking events...the proportional controller is calling for the correct % of power to be applied...it is simply a lower power because the upper limit is too low...just a hunch.

Good luck,
Joe.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 AM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nicely put Joe

Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Prodigy is one of the controllers most RV dealers avoid selling, because it takes an owner to a new level - requiring some experience to completely understand and get used to, or take full advantage of.

That having been said - it is also a high performance unit that can tailor your braking to a high degree once you become familiar with what it does.

Dealers don't like it because they have to explain it - and most dealers do NOT want that degree of customer tweaking in their hair. They just want to sell a unit, and say "BYE-BYE!" trouble free...

Come to think of it - a lot of dealers have no idea what it is that it does! And the salesmen? PSHAW...

I WILL say this: For an item like that to be completely effective, you need your coach brakes to be 100%. If your brakes themselves are questionable at all, make sure they are right.

~Wolfie

Old 07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
flybaby_3
Junior User
X_Hemi_Guy, your explanation of how it works certainly is a lot better than the manual. I set up according to the manual and the initial power setting was "6" with the lever fully on and boost set to "b1". In my case the TT probably weighs about #1000 more than the TV so I reset the boost to "b2" and that helped some. Next time out I'll reset the power level to 8 or 10 and go from there. Thanks guys for all your advice.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Glad I could help...good luck with the next step.

Once you find what works...leave it be on the power setting. But feel free to toggle thru the boost...if you don't remember what boost you are in...simply press the blue button to see the display...it doesn't toggle until the SECOND press!...and a quick few presses toggles thru them all pretty fast.

Joe.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Question

One question, when you disconnect the brake controller (when not in use) does it save the set up, or you have to do it again when you connect it for the next camping trip?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:50 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Originally Posted by Greywolf
Prodigy is one of the controllers most RV dealers avoid selling, because it takes an owner to a new level - requiring some experience to completely understand and get used to, or take full advantage of.

~Wolfie
And what is that the RV dealers like to sell?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
By setup do you mean Power level?

If so...since the Prodigy uses a thumb wheel rotary ****...it is an analog type setting so YES it will store the power level...unless you somehow rotate it while taking it out or putting it in...it should remain.

Now the Boost...may be lost...but that is a simple toggle to get to what you want.

There is no 'Level' setting...it is self leveling.

So all in all...YES would be my answer.

Joe.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
By setup do you mean Power level?

If so...since the Prodigy uses a thumb wheel rotary ****...it is an analog type setting so YES it will store the power level...unless you somehow rotate it while taking it out or putting it in...it should remain.

Now the Boost...may be lost...but that is a simple toggle to get to what you want.

There is no 'Level' setting...it is self leveling.

So all in all...YES would be my answer.

Joe.
Ok, thanks for the answer, and what about the P3? I have read that both are very similar.

Quick Reply: Prodigy Brake Controller