1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front clip install comments

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM
JBravo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front clip install comments

I've posted a few pics of the '69 Chevelle front clip that was on my 56 F-100 when I bought it... If you have a sec, take a peek in my gallery and tell me your opinions on what you think... Personally, it looks like a hack job to me and I'll either replace the front clip with something else or stick with this one and re-do the install. But... is this clip worth mending up... the one pic shows a tear in the metal on the passenger side lower A-arm mounting location... No other damage around it and it doesn't look like its been wrecked just that one tear...

Let me know what ya think...

JB

Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Kinda looks to me like the chevelle sub-frame was cut too short.
It's a little difficult to see with the rust and camera lens distance, but IMHO, I'd rather see the connection further back..and futher from that lower rear control-arm attachment, and not directly under it ,..if you know what I mean.
The tear could be a bit tricky also, don't know if the position has changed or not, though I do think it can be repaired, not repairing it in the correct position could/will affect camber and caster. Careful here...
You could set it up level on jackstands and take some careful measurements, crosschecking everything for a better evaluation.
If your not very happy with it now, another frame done up the way YOU like it,might be a better investment in time and cash.If you already have something else in mind, You will never be happy with it, and you NEED to be! It will be some time before this beast see's the road and you don't want to be chasing your tail second guessing yourself.
If you were to stick a temp eng/trans combo in it, 4 wheels and put it on an wheel alignment rack will tell you alot, and if the repair was to be made to the control arm-mount that would be a good time to alleast 'tack" things into position.Good score nonetheless Good Luck!!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you talking about the circled area in the attached? looks like it was pried up (screw driver or some such), not stress torn.. (at least from this angle)

looks like they did the fish plate curves in the inner boxing plates at least..(long discussion recently on the end of the boxing plate where it connects to the chassis needing to be curved to relieve stress)..

I personally don't like the chassis weld on the TOP rail of the chassis, only cause its ugly.. not a structural thing..

I think this could be cleaned up.. but don't know if its done right, or if its any good..

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2008, 12:09 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JBravo-

Nice looking project. However, I've had better luck fixing my own mistakes than fixing a previous owners mistakes. I'm in the middle of one of those PO projects myself and I wish i had started with a stock frame or aftermarket. My suggestion is like stated above, see if you can find another better frame and modify it to what you want. You will spend a lot of time cleaning up the welds on this one, that is if you want it to "look purdy". Have fun.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
JBravo
Senior User
Sam... that's the tear/pry I was talking about... not to mention the several holes in the crossmember and the ugly welds...

A new shiny aftermarket frame would be nice... cept the cost... what does a stock frame go for from one of the internet parts companies?

JB

Old 07-17-2008, 03:31 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Around the mid section of the country (KS, MO, AR,OK) l can usually find a decent original frame, after searching awhile, for $100-200. Are there any old car salvage yards in your part of the country? Might find one there or put a "wanted" ad on Craigslist. Then you could add a Mustang II, Jag, Volare, or whatever your heart desires.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
JBravo
Senior User
53-56 all the same frame?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:43 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
53/54/55 will work on a 56 but the rear springs on a 56 are a little longer as I recall. otherwise no big difference.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 PM
JBravo
Senior User
just showed the spousal unit the art morrison frame loaded for almost 7K... she didn't fall over so that's a good sign right?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
JBravo
Senior User
Oh yeah... LEckart if you can find a frame for that much... let me know and I'll drive down and pick it up!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Wow! ...7k for as custom frame.., I'm way too cheap and enjoy the thrill more when I get my hands dirty and stuff in my eye's while doing it,..
I would consider a $200 dollar frame in a heartbeat..if the rest of the truck comes with it you would be in a good position to do some wheel'in and deal'in...

Even if the windows are shot out and the bed rusted thru..there may be some parts you could use or swap...if you have the room ...a donor may look nice in the yard for awhile, but not too long, I'm sure the Missus will let youy know how long ' too ' long is.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:33 PM
JBravo
Senior User
got one of those sitting next to the garage now...

Old 07-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Hard to tell from your pictues?
OK, before all the purists start yelling, this is a picture of and unfinished and abandoned project that is out in the back forty complete with pine needles.
(And really big mosquitoes) This (other make) frame had a GM clip installed by the PO and because I had no idea of the quality of the welds I fish plated it top and sides to give extra strength and my peace of mind, it is not pretty but would have been strong. Just food for thought and you also could get a welder to look at yours.

"Being wrong keeps me humble.”

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 PM
55 dude
Senior User
from the pic's it looks ok. get the level and the tape measure out and make sure its square and level. i have seen way worse installs and had one fall out going down the road! i just thought i had a u-joint going really bad but one side of the subframe was coming loose. imagine turning a corner and no matter what you do you keep going straight. those thing happen when your young,dumb and intoxicated! have somebody you trust to check the welds.