1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Delvac1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front wheel bearings.

I own a 2000 F-250 4x4. I have been trying to change my front wheel bearings on the passenger side. I know they are sealed and they must be changed as a unit. I just finished getting everything pulled apart, and I'm wondering if I might have a bigger problem than just bearings. You'll have to cut me some slack because I'm not a mechanic, and I don't know the names for all the parts. Anyway, I know the bearings are shot because there is a lot of slack between the front and back part of the hub. The thing I am worried about is the seal or bearing or whatever it is behind the hub assembly. There is a lot of slack in it. I can actually grab the axle shaft and move it around quite a bit. I don't know if its supposed to be that way, but my thinking says no. Plus the entire thing is full of metal shavings. Any help would be great, and thanks in advance. Also I'm trying to figure out how to attach pics to this, so if anyone know please let me know. I guess I could just make a gallery for it. Thanks again.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A little endplay in the axle assembly with the hub removed is ok. If you pull hard enough, it would actually come right out of the housing; however, don't do this unless you have taken the time to procure a new seal and the appropriate install tool. Now might be a good time to do that though.......... Check out this thread for more info on the axleshaft. It is a ball joint install thread, but has good info on the seal driver.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ll-joints.html

Now, shavings are bad. You need to find the source of the shavings and make sure nothing critical is damaged. If the bearings are bad, that is one thing, but if the shavings have worn the axleshaft, that is worse. Look inside the unit bearing assembly from the back side. You should see a set of needle bearings. Using your mental estimator, look at the point on the axleshaft where these needle bearings would go and make sure that the shaft has not been ground down. If it has been damaged, you will need to replace the shaft.Check out this page for some good pics of the needle bearings and some good PM proceedures you can do to the other side before it poops out too.

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 PM
X_MikeB43
New User
This is an excellant thread. The PDF file is most helpful and will be used in my shop....Thanks ☺

Old 08-01-2008, 01:22 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
This entire website could easily be used to replace the "factory training" that Ford's techs get.

Pop

Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto on that SpringerPop. This website is awesome, way better than a haynes or chiltons manual.

To X_MikeB43, credit goes to guzzle for the PDF.

To everyone else, sorry if it seems like I have been ignoring peoples questions. I have been working on the big Mississippi river oil spill since the 23rd, and I have been too busy to respond to peoples posts. Things are calming down a bit though.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:27 AM
X_MikeB43
New User
Thanks Guzzle for the PDF.... My F-250 has 105,000 miles and all was well with the bearings. Packed them and replaced the seals and now at least I have peace of mind on the inner bearings.