1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin LTX A/T2

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:59 PM
scole250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin LTX A/T2

Anybody ever put these on a SuperDuty or other large pickup? I put a set on my F250 last August and they wore terribly. After 6 months I took it back for tire rotation and pointed out what looked like strange tire wear. They said the tires weren't wearing right and offered to replace them. So I put another set on hoping is was just a bad set of tires. After 3500 miles they had again worn terribly and gotten badly out of balance. I took it back and the tire shop again agreed to replace the tires, so I put the OEM BF Goodrich tires back on it (got over 30K out of the first set). There's lots of good reviews about the LTX A/T2 out there, but I think they're from folks with lighter vehicles. Anybody else have experience with the LTX A/T2's?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 AM
davidwruth
New User
I am having the same issues not sure that I am verry happy with the ride as well. I got 50k on oem's

Old 07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running the LTX A/T2's on my 2005 F350 4x4. I purchased the truck a few months ago and the dealer had just installed the LTX A/T2's on the rear axle but the OEM Conti's were on the front axle (50% worn). I immediately purchased two new LTX A/T2's for the front axle at a cost of $545.00 installed. They are expensive tires but I have been told that they will go 80K miles easily. They are very smooth and quiet. They don't handle that well due to the tread pattern design... then again, I'm not doing road racing on my F350.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:33 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
That's depressing to hear about trouble with these - I was planning to go to these when the OEM Conti's wore off my 06 350. I've gotten to the point where I don't trust anything but Michelins, I've seen so many problems with just about everything else. If now I can't go to Mcihelins I'm not sure what to do! Drive on the rims, I guess...

Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
My dually came with Generals and they were replaced on warranty due to bad wear and sidewall cracks at 33000 kms. I did an upgrade and had Michelin LTX AT's installed. I got 152000 kms on those and the ride and handling was awesome. I recently did some front end work - ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, shocks, and tires. I had such good luck with the first generation that I went for the AT2's. I had some steering issues since this was done; however, four of the six tires are exhibiting terribly uneven wear at 10000 kms. They will be getting replaced soon but not sure with what!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:30 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
I was looking at a them before I baught my Toyo's. The money was about the same....about $250/tire. I choose the Toyos because they were in stock. After hears quite a few negatives about the Michelins, I am glad I went with the Toyos.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Has anyone got anything new to report? I went back to the tire shop and they looked at the wear. They feel that my rears are exhibiting wear characteristic of under inflation - I just downloaded Michelin's chart for air pressure vs load (single and dual) for my tire size and will have to weigh the truck next week as I cant remember what each axle weighs anymore. Based on those same charts, I ran 40 psi in the rears on my dually when empty and 50 when loaded. The chart shows 6780# @40psi and 8024# @50psi. I ususlly run around 60 in the fronts. With 50 psi when empty my truck rides too rough - I have always matched weights to inflation pressures based on manufacturer's recommendations and like I said, got 152000 kms on the original generation of AT's.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
scole250
Senior User
There's a alignment shop here in town that has a pretty good rep and one of the owners told me he thought Michilens were the best tire period and he had LTX M/S tires on all his vehicles, but he would never put them on a SuperDuty. He said he didn't know why, but for some reason Michilen tires don't like a SuperDuty or visa versa. Based on the wear of the tires I had, it looked like an alignment problem, but it was on the rear tires too and the tire shop said the alignment was OK. I'm taking it to the dealer Wednesday and have them do an alignment. Might be a waste of money, but I'm tired of messing with tires.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Hmmm, so what's a Michelin guy with a SD to do? What are the recommendations? I'm at 18K miles right now and I don't ahve any huge complaints about the Conti's that came on the truck, but I doubt I'll be putting more of those on, I'd like something a little more aggressive for winter/plowing.

What's looking good? (Mine are the 275/70 R18's)

Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM
scole250
Senior User
I think you can find these tires in the size you need.

BG Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A

Bridgestone Dueller A/T

Toyo Open County A/T

Old 07-14-2008, 11:48 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

I've got 50k on my Uniroyal Liberator AT's in 285/75R16 and they still have good tread left. I need an alignment (and maybe balljoints too) but that's what's killing my tires. And they run about $140-ish at Walmart. Add the $10 for road hazard and call it good. That's what I'll be doing right before winter hits.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:50 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Just out of curiosity, I sent an email to Michelin Customer Relations about this. I didn't keep a copy of my mail, but I asked about Ford SD's and AT/2's in particular. I guess their response isn't too surprising, I was hoping for something a little more specific...

Jim,

Thank you for your interest in Michelin tires and for sending us your email.
We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

We have not been getting complaints about the A/T2 providing poor tire wear.
Actually, most of the feedback we have gotten on the A/T2 has been very
positive. We have had people praise the tire for its lack of noise for an
All Terrain tire as well as the very smooth ride it provides.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question
answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond
to this email or call us at 1-800-847-3435 (toll free) between 8:00AM and
8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 9:00AM and 5:00PM
Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,
Bobby
Michelin North America
Consumer Care Department

PS: It's important that you get all the safety-related materials that come
with the purchase of new Michelin passenger and light truck tires. If you
did not receive a warranty book, you can download one at
michelinman.com/warranty. If you did not register your tires, please take a
moment to do so at michelinman.com/tire-registration. Registering your
tires is easy and takes just a minute.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
A nice generic reply isnt it? My tire dealer ( we have an extremely excellent working relationship with them due to our large ag operation and a history in the trucking industry) looked at mine and said to let them roll for a bit just to see what happens - they will replace them if I want but want to see what they do. The original LTX AT on my truck were awesome and the same casing is used on the LTX AS and LTX MS. The AT2 is a new casing and tread design but they are confident that they are an improvement. The owner of the tire shop is running a set on his Dodge Cummins.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by LaredoF350
A nice generic reply isnt it? My tire dealer ( we have an extremely excellent working relationship with them due to our large ag operation and a history in the trucking industry) looked at mine and said to let them roll for a bit just to see what happens - they will replace them if I want but want to see what they do. The original LTX AT on my truck were awesome and the same casing is used on the LTX AS and LTX MS. The AT2 is a new casing and tread design but they are confident that they are an improvement. The owner of the tire shop is running a set on his Dodge Cummins.
Yes, as I said I was hoping for a little more specific answer. I'm tempted to send Bobby @ Michelin a link to this thread. And I hope if your dealer does end up replacing your set that he contacts the factory as well...

Old 07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too was planning on going with this tire when the Conti's are kaput.

Too bad Michelin only generated a generic letter and didn't address the concern regarding a Superduty application.

Quick Reply: Michelin LTX A/T2