1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Window Unit in Van

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Dannym
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't need that framework inside the van.

Basically, you want a piece of outdoor plywood to replace the rear window, and a metal flange screwed in to hold it down, and the plywood painted.

The plywood will have a square hole in it for the AC of course. It will be mostly balanced, but a little "back heavy", but nothing thick plywood will have any problem holding in place on a rough road. You need to hold the top and bottom of the AC in place of course. You may need to screw or glue in some sort of angle iron to do it. But, my point is, you don't need a bracket to hold up the AC. That's not only an unnecessary effort, it'll compromise your available space if you're really trying to pack the van.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 AM
jeffnick
Senior User
Originally Posted by stkshooter
jeffnick, the cargo rack on front of your van. Are those white poles pvc ?

I've been looking for something and considered CB antenna because they have mounting threads on base but didn't want to spend much money for bumper sticks.

If not PVC, where did you buy them ?
They are PVC, put in place to keep me aware of the cargo rack in close quarters. Also a warning to others that something was protruding...

Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 AM
jeffnick
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dannym
You don't need that framework inside the van.

Basically, you want a piece of outdoor plywood to replace the rear window, and a metal flange screwed in to hold it down, and the plywood painted.

The plywood will have a square hole in it for the AC of course. It will be mostly balanced, but a little "back heavy", but nothing thick plywood will have any problem holding in place on a rough road. You need to hold the top and bottom of the AC in place of course. You may need to screw or glue in some sort of angle iron to do it. But, my point is, you don't need a bracket to hold up the AC. That's not only an unnecessary effort, it'll compromise your available space if you're really trying to pack the van.
If you don't use a frame and drive on bumpy roads, you may occasionally see daylight at the roof from the door flexing. Not a big deal, I doubt it would ever cause a serious problem and certainly worth enduring for a less complicated installation.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:57 AM
stkshooter
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffnick
They are PVC, put in place to keep me aware of the cargo rack in close quarters. Also a warning to others that something was protruding...
I have been worried about forgetting cargo rack was there and hitting something myself. I went with snow plow guides because they will bolt to rack and bend without breaking, etc. Found them on ebay for $12 and although not as cheap as pvc which would have been nicer they won't fall off. I couldn't find a secure method to mount pvc like I wanted. Just a little FYI if you are looking for other ideas.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - stkshooter's Album: 2004 Ford Van - Picture

PS: Can you email me jeffnick or Private message ? Yours appears to be blocked.
stkshooter@gmail.com

Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 PM
SnacktimeKC
New User
Could you post up the dimensions of the bracket you made for the window unit as well as how and what brand hitch you mounted to the front of the van. Thanks in advance, Snack

Old 03-20-2011, 04:43 PM
stkshooter
Junior User
you can check out www.jonemilesllc.com for more window unit info. I"m adding a kit for rear window install soon.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 PM
SnacktimeKC
New User
Thanks Shooter but I'm really looking for the window mount and I'm kind of in a hurry, need it in tow weeks or so. -Snack

Old 03-20-2011, 08:08 PM
jeffnick
Senior User
I made the 'hole' as big as I could so I could use the biggest A/C unit.

My angle is actually 105° but I show 100° for you because I like the exaggerated tilt (it matches my generator box).

Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 PM
SnacktimeKC
New User
Thanks jeffnick, let me know the details on the front hitch when you get a chance. -Snack

Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 PM
stkshooter
Junior User
Originally Posted by SnacktimeKC
Thanks Shooter but I'm really looking for the window mount and I'm kind of in a hurry, need it in tow weeks or so. -Snack
I am building a kit which I plan to offer for sale without A/C unit. You can buy the kit and bolt to ford rear door using current holes from factory. Then slide unit into kit and secure with kit hardware. ( You would purchase A/C unit from local retailer yourself. ) I am also working on fiberglass cover option which bolts to door using the existing 4 window screws. This would hide the A/C unit for those wanting a cleaner install.

I don't have them finished yet but hope to wrap things up over the next 90 days for summer avl. For those interested...

Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM
jeffnick
Senior User
Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM
xbsgaming
New User
hitch mount

I would love to know about the hitch mount you have for the Honda 2000.. did you buy it or build it? I want to mount my eu2000 with the same mount. Email me xbsgaming@live.com