2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front sitting higher HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 PM
jwillyf150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front sitting higher HELP!!!!!!!

I just installed a 2" AS leveling kit today on my 06 scab fx4 and the front sits about 1/2 to 3/4" higher. Haven't got it aligned yet, and the instructions said align vehicle after installed because the front will sit higher. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if so will alignment help lower (level) the truck out.

I measured the truck before installing and the rear was exactly 2" higher before kit was installed so that's why I went with 2" kit. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Alignment will not lower the front. It has to be aligned because the lift kit pulled the front wheels out of whack - like when you jack it up. I usually don't comment on any post regarding altering a truck but this seemed pretty straightforward.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
98greensi
Senior User
i wouldn't worry about it yet give it a few days to settle. then see how it sits

Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 AM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
go bump it around off-road; it'll settle, or it won't. i know the 2.5" leveling kits will make it look higher up front. Have you been hauling a lot of heavy stuff in the bed?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
jwillyf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by FatalErrorz
go bump it around off-road; it'll settle, or it won't. i know the 2.5" leveling kits will make it look higher up front. Have you been hauling a lot of heavy stuff in the bed?
I haven't had anything in the bed that would make it sag or haven't towed anything with it. However, the guy I bought it from had the side toolboxes on it but doubt it was enough to damage I don't know. I've got it at the ford dealer now getting alignment done for $69 thought that was pretty good price. I did notice after driving it a little it looked to be leveling out better hopefully it will. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FatalErrorz
it varies from truck to truck... I have a 2.5" and my front sits lower than the back still.

alignment did make it a smidge lower in the front, almost 1/2 inch in my case.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
jwillyf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fosters
it varies from truck to truck... I have a 2.5" and my front sits lower than the back still.

alignment did make it a smidge lower in the front, almost 1/2 inch in my case.
Well if it lowers mine a 1/2 inch it will be bout perfect thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 AM
krazymatt
Senior User
My 06 4x4 Lariat SCrew did the same thing. With a AS 2" leveling kit at the end of the day still sits about 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher up front. Doesn't seem like much but I can notice it. No problem for me because I am in the process of installing an add a leaf in the rear which should get it about perfect because I tow a camper. If I wasn't going to install the AAL, I would've been better off with the 1.5" leveling kit, but I'm sure glad I didn't buy the 2.5"! Who knows, I measured and everything before too. It'll settle a bit after the install, but not after the toe adjustment.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Please don't forget to re-aim your headlights for the benefit of everyone else on the road.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 1saxman
Please don't forget to re-aim your headlights for the benefit of everyone else on the road.
if my headlights bother em, they're slowing me down!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1saxman
I totally agree. (if I was driving a car) Seriously though, I agree.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 PM
krazymatt
Senior User
Regarding the headlights, I see the reason when installing a leveling kit, but then if you go ahead and do the add a leaf, would'nt that headlight issue solve itself???

Old 07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Originally Posted by krazymatt
Regarding the headlights, I see the reason when installing a leveling kit, but then if you go ahead and do the add a leaf, would'nt that headlight issue solve itself???
No, Because 1.) the add a leaf won't lift the back of the truck or change the rake that much 2.) The front is still higher that before the leveling kit install. It's real easy to change the aim, its covered in your owners manual.

I can deal with/don't mind miss-aimed headlights following me, but it is a big PITA to meet them oncoming.

T. J.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
what year is your truck? the 07+ models have 1 less leaf spring in the rear and alot of guys with 07/08's have had issues with the 2.5" kit being too much since the rear sits lower than a 04-06 model (slightly)

are you sure you installed a 2" kit? it may have been a 2.5" or 3" kit and just been mislabled.

here is a pic of my 2.5" installed. the red line is the top of the coil-over, and the blue line is the bottom of the kit. if you have a 2" kit, then you won't be able to see the leveling puck

and did you measure on flat ground at the same spot? sounds stupid, but it's very easy to mind-f**k yourself into thinking there is a mistake. my truck looks 100% level on flat ground, but I sometimes think it is butt heavy when on inclined ground.
Originally Posted by 98greensi
i wouldn't worry about it yet give it a few days to settle. then see how it sits
you're not serious are you? that is a hard metal to metal installation. no room for give. I agree that you have to let AAL's settle once installed

unless the OP installed the Daystar kit that requires coil-over disassembly...actually, there isn't any way that way either. if the truck does settle, that truck needs to be towed home and the front end gone over bolt by bolt to ensure it was installed properly.
Originally Posted by jwillyf150
IHowever, the guy I bought it from had the side toolboxes on it but doubt it was enough to damage I don't know
he might have carried alot of weight and caused the rear leafs to flatten somewhat. You'd be amazed at what people do with their trucks. I know I've been guilty of 1000 lb+ loads in the bed of some of my old F-150's. Probably why I had overload shocks and helper springs also though

Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by krazymatt
yes...as long as the AAL gets you back to the OEM slant. the head lights will just be say 5-10 feet farther reaching than OEM since they're 1-2" higher.

My truck passed the headlight inspection with my 2.5" AS kit installed...so it can't throw them off that much. And the guy was actually checking the truck out. Jerk made me remove my brake-light covers

Quick Reply: Front sitting higher HELP!!!!!!!