6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Another no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another no start problem

Hi Guys!

I'll try to be short on the story, what's happening with my truck.
Around 3 weeks ago on the way home at a signal I've had a rough idle, and like 2 minutes after it stalled/stopped on me. I've had to tow it home, no restrart. We tried with starter fluid, and it started up, and it was running , but only if I kept my foot on the pedal and tried to keep the rpm over 1500. No idle at all. We tried to read codes, but nothing. We could do this at a few times, after that nothing, no start at all. It was time to dig in to it, head studs were necessity anyways. I replaced the injectors, icp sensor, crankshaft position sensor, ebp sensor, head studs, egr bypass , new gaskets everywhere. I've seen oil on the ICP connector, so it was most likely the no start problem. I've put it together this weekend, and same. No start. No start at all. Cranks, gas-rag trick, but nothing on it's own.
I was thinking about the HPOP, but is it possible for it to die in a really short period of time? In like 10 minutes?
My truck has 110k miles and it's a 2003. Any opinion, advice is highly appreciated, because I'm going crazy after spent money but mostly lot of time on the truck.
Thanks

Old 06-29-2008, 05:19 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
has it run since you did all the work? did you check the oil pressure switch? how about IPR valve?

after all that work it will take quite some time of cranking to get the HP oil system pressurized..if you let off the starter it can bleed back down and you keep starting from scratch..

a good diagnostic tool (AutoEnginuity for instance) would really help to see if the motor is making HPO(via ICP data)...I know you've spent alot of $$$$ so far, but it sounds like you could benefit from something like this now and in the future..

kudos for digging in and doing all that yourself...

Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Thanks for the quick reply.
No, it didn't run after all the repair. i just tried to crank it up today. Yeah, I wasn't sure about the IPR, while I knew that could be a possibility.
What is the oil pressure switch? Sorry, but I don't know which one is it.
I tried to crank it continuesly, and then I stuck the gas-rag in to the intake. It did "run" with that, so that should take care of the oil back-bleeding, but no. No start.
Thank you for the .... , it was a hard, labor required work, but doable, and I enjoyed it.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:00 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
check out this pic..it's LOP switch IIRC and i only asked because i'm having some of the same work done on my truck and the connector had oil in it...tech changed it out..

sure sounds like something isn't connected or there's still a bad sensor and that's holding it out...just WAG's you know..

Old 06-29-2008, 06:31 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Originally Posted by william_04_x

sure sounds like something isn't connected or there's still a bad sensor and that's holding it out...just WAG's you know..
Well, on this part I do agree.
I just don't know which one.
I'm at the point to get new cam pos sensor, new IPR, new HPOPump, and all the others, so hopefully one of them will be the one I'm supposed to replace...

Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
So i ordered a new HPOP, new Cam sensor and new IPR today. It is really confusing that I'm replacing everything in my truck, but I'm sure it's still cheaper, than take it to the dealer.
I just hope this is it. Please let me know if something else could make this problem on a 6.0, I'm ready to take any action what's necessary.
Thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Maybe you've got an HPO system leak. You should be able to get it scanned and tell what the HPOP pressure is. The Cam sensor is virtually bulletproof on a 6.0 and about the only thing that ever fails is the o-ring causing a leak. If it's not throwing a code (which doesn't mean anything 99.99% of the time anyway) the I wouldn't install it. Sometimes it's cheaper to take it to a dealer or a GOOD qualified tech than throwing parts at it......especially on this motor.