NO ROOM

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2000, 07:00 PM
coonboy888
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO ROOM

i have a 72 ford, with the gas tank behind the seat, i dont want to move teh tank, or anything like that but i want a decient sound system, do u all know what size and kind of speakers i should get, and where should i put them??., i owuld like to put a 6 cd changer under the seat

Old 07-19-2000, 10:32 PM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
NO ROOM

U can get 6"x9" speaker boxes for around $20 and they will either fit behind your seat of under it. as for the changer I would stay away from them I have friends that have more problems with them than they are worth. YOu would be better off putting in a CD deck.

Old 07-20-2000, 07:07 AM
DeenHylton
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NO ROOM

Old 08-15-2000, 01:35 AM
tonka
Junior User
NO ROOM

Hi
contrary to certain beliefs, you would actually be better off with a changer mainly for the simple fact that there is more room in a changer for float mechanism. That means less skippage. Now for sound ,This is kind of budget dependant. The best chance for good sound is probably speaker pods in the lower part of the door( you could cut into the door but with a pod you can tilt the speaker up a little to direct the sound, and the older truck doors tend to leak.)Then place a tweeter a little higher up and maybe a centre channel in the stock hole in the dash. Or If you have the money forget the centre channel and get a sound field processor with time delay, If it has a centre channel out put great but probably not. Next for bass, bandpass, spend the money on a good sub that needs little airspace and go bandpass. If you don't know what this is, it is one box with a wall in between which your sub mounts in,(completely seperate chambers)The rear chamber is sealed the front is ported.All of the sound comes from the port,Plug the port no sound. Now most people think the tube for the port has to be inside the box,not true .Place the box under the seat and run the port up at either end of the gas tank. Another misconception is that the chambers must be square. It is actually better if they are not. As long as you have the proper airspace and enough depth to mount the sub you are fine. I have a 10" in a box that is only 7" tall and it sounds great. Any questions e-mail me at _finetuned at excite.com
tonka

Old 08-29-2000, 10:23 PM
dave186
Senior User
NO ROOM

A ten inch box that is 7" tall is still to big to fit. I have a 75 and am having the same problem, what I have done is put 6x9s in the door because the previous owner had cut holes. then I put 4" surface mount 3 ways up behind the seat. beneath the seat I have amps and some aura bass shakers, they are only 2" tall and about 6" around. go to http://www.aurasound.com/shakers.htm to see them. they arent like subs but they are cool. I have found a bandpass box in a 1990 thunderbird that has the JBL audio system and it is only 4" tall I think I can get it under my seat but Im not sure. i am still looking for anything else people have done.
Dave

http://www.davesmonsterpit.com

Old 08-30-2000, 02:16 PM
tonka
Junior User
NO ROOM

Hi
Just curious to know what size sub was in that bandpass. Maybe we can come up with something similar. Another option might be to attatch a free air baffle to the underside of the seat.
tonka

Old 08-30-2000, 09:17 PM
dave186
Senior User
NO ROOM

Im not sure but it cant be any bigger than an 8". It is still in the car and it sounds real good. The whole car was pretty cool but my grandpa killed it and gave it to me, so Im parting it out.
Dave

Old 10-21-2000, 10:18 AM
72FordF100
Freshman User
NO ROOM

Might be alittle late posting, But i ahve a 72 F100 with the gas tank still behind the seat as well, And as you may have noticed, there isnt a way to put a CD player in without cuttin up the dash severely, especially if you have the A/C, so what we did was build an overhead consoule, for the CD player, Also put to 6 1/2 speakers in it, Plus the doors are cut out for 6x9s, So that isnt a bad setup, you could always push the 6x9s with an amp, May not be 12inch kickers, but it works

Old 10-21-2000, 10:33 AM
bronclover
Junior User
NO ROOM

If the onlyu thing that has to be open is the port.....what abnout underneath and run the port into the truck???? I have been thinking about something like this for the Bronc.

1978 F150 SC 351 C6 $1000
Soon to be Bronc owner!!
1969 Buick LeSabre 400
1941 Farmall "A"

Old 10-21-2000, 01:52 PM
tonka
Junior User
NO ROOM

Hi The box under the truck or under the hood sounds kinda interesting. Just be sure that
everything is sealed right up. I'd suggest fiberglassing the whole works.Let us know if you try it and how it works. If you need any help in the design phase let me know.
_finetuned at excite.com
Tonka
Jay

Old 10-22-2000, 03:38 PM
dave186
Senior User
NO ROOM

I was playing around today and built a box that sits in the middle of the seat like a console (I put in some cup holders too) with an 8" dual voice coil sub in it. I have 6.5s and 6x9s in the doors and two 4" surface mounts above the seat. I have a Blaupunkt Alaska CD reciever, and it didnt take to much cutting to make it fit under the seat I have 2 Aura bass shakers and 2 amps a 220watt and a 200 watt. I think it sounds pretty good, you can hear the bass from quite some distance.
Dave
http://home.earthlink.net/~dave186/DMPbanner1.jpg

Old 10-22-2000, 07:01 PM
bronclover
Junior User
NO ROOM

Tonka i would love some help with design... I am a carpenter by trade and have a number of other skills to go with it....anyway.....I can build box and I was thinking of Pressure treated plywood laminated for strength and covered with either EPDM rubber or heavy guage galvanized steel. I have both here. What I don't know is the design requirements for the interior of box and volume and port size and all that. I don't want to rattle the neighbors but want some lovely bass without using up any space....especially in the console.. Thanks

Soon to be Bronc owner!!
1969 Buick LeSabre 400
1941 Farmall "A"

Old 10-22-2000, 11:41 PM
tonka
Junior User
NO ROOM

Hello
Either of those things would probably be fine but I would be a little conserned about durability and ease of use. I'm still a big fan of fiberglass. Pressure treated ply wood is probably a very good Idea. As for box dimensions that is the easy part ,once you pick a sub. I would suggest at least a ten ,maybe a twelve. Also because of where it will be I would say a poly cone is a must. You could Try a Kicker Solo Baric or for less money I test drove a Panasonic yesterday (Yes Panasonic)I was very plesantly surprised.

Old 10-22-2000, 11:42 PM
tonka
Junior User
NO ROOM

Hello
Either of those things would probably be fine but I would be a little conserned about durability and ease of use. I'm still a big fan of fiberglass. Pressure treated ply wood is probably a very good Idea. As for box dimensions that is the easy part ,once you pick a sub. I would suggest at least a ten ,maybe a twelve. Also because of where it will be I would say a poly cone is a must. You could Try a Kicker Solo Baric or for less money I test drove a Panasonic yesterday (Yes Panasonic)I was very plesantly surprised.
Tonka
Jay

89 Bronco
81 F350 4x4

Old 10-31-2000, 08:52 PM
bronclover
Junior User
NO ROOM

And the port is the only thing that needs to be open to truck....... Is that right??

Soon to be Bronc owner!!
1969 Buick LeSabre 400
1941 Farmall "A"

Quick Reply: NO ROOM