Installed cd-changer/now have high pitched whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 09:37 PM
Michaeljbrock
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an Aiwa 6 disc fm-modulated cd-changer into my 96 Ranger. The installation went very well. However, if I turn the volume up past 1/2 way I hear a high pitched tone. It might be there at lower volumes but it isn't notceable (at least not by me; maybe my dog notices it). Any ideas what might be causing this? bad ground maybe?

Michael

Old 10-12-2001, 04:36 PM
Jerm
Junior User

Michael-
Does the whine occur when the engine is off?? If it only occurs when the engine is running, it is possible that the modulator wire is acting as an antenna and picking up a signal from your truck's electrical system.

I know from my younger days that you will often hear engine noise through your rear speakers if you run RCA cables next to the amplifier power feed wire. I started running the power wire on the opposite side of the vehicle from the signal wires, and I have had good luck ever since.

Another thing that has given me a whine in my audio system was an MSD box. I still don't understand that one, because it was an intermittant problem, but it only started after I put it in.

One other thing to look at, especially if the problem doesn't correlate with your engine, is any aftermarket AC voltage users in your truck. By this I mean any neon lights or other high voltage products you may have installed. If you've got something like this, you may want to make sure the modulator wires are as far away from these items as possible, or you may try pulling your changer power from a different location.

Good Luck-
Jerm

Old 10-15-2001, 09:28 AM
Michaeljbrock
New User

Thanks for the reply. I get the whine when the engine is off as well as when it is on. I don't have any "after market" electrical components added (except for the cd-changer itself of course <g>).

I used the accessory outlet/cigarette lighter power and ground and the stock stereo's ACC power. Would I be better served to find a better power source and ground? Would tapping into the supply and ground to the stereo be a better choice?

Michael

Old 10-17-2001, 04:48 PM
FordCountryBoy
New User

Old 10-17-2001, 05:34 PM
Jerm
Junior User

Michael-
I would certainly look at your power source next. In fact I would actually try to hook up the CD changer to an external 12 volt source - maybe a boat battery or something before you go and hard wire it in to another location. Without actually being there it is hard to tell what's going on. Does the whine show up "all of a sudden" past a certain volume, or does it gradually increase to a bothersome level about half way up?

You might also want to see if the sound is present when you change CDs at the higher volume levels. If the CD spinning motor is giving you noise, it should stop when the unit switches from one CD to another.

Jerm