homemade ram air

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Nyborg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
homemade ram air

i was wondering if anyones made there own ram air system, i got a brainwave to make an under hood one, in the space between my hood and body running the length of the hood and narrowing into a pipe, might not be enough air flow though

Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
By the time you add a thickness of pipe or aluminum flashing, your not going to have much of an opening, however the length will make up for that. The real problem with your design is how the air will flow.

Look at how this system is done, http://impalasuperstore.com/naisso/s...xd.asp?id=1105 It should point you in a good direction.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 AM
AMDCAMARO
Junior User
I to am going to make this for my 97 F150. I plan on getting a scoop from an old carb or TBI vehicle ( the kind that mount under the hood) and attaching it to my grill ( behind it, attached to a rib in the grill) out of sight.

Next I will run some sort of tubing ( dryer vent tubing if I get lazy) to my air box. At the air box I am going to cut the largest hole I can that I can stuff with a PVC "T" fitting. I know they make 4" "T"'s.

Then I am going to cut most of the "T" off so that I basically have a inlet tube with 2 mounting tabs on it. Insert this into the hole (from inside the air box), drill 2 holes in it, and bolt it up. I am going to use ISOPASTE to seal it up, but I am sure Silicone would do the trick as well.

I am going to leave the Air box attached to the fender where it draws air OEM, so My Ram Air should only help me.

Yes this is vague, But it might give you an idea.

Ram Air adds 10-15 HP ( stock 1999 Grand Am GT's were listed 10 HP and 20 FT LBS TQ over the SE models, and the only difference was the Ram Air on the GT's)

Hope this helps yea, Back in my F-Body days, people made scoops and shrouds out of milk jugs, and it did lower there times, so any fresh air you can get in there will help.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Nyborg
Senior User
that gives me some new ideas, thanks

Old 07-19-2008, 05:17 PM
AMDCAMARO
Junior User
Glad I could help!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Errr, you are all aware that ram-air systems don't do much for HP until you get well over 100 mph, right?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
True, as I understand it in the simplest of terms, in order for 'ram air' to really work the air being pushed into the engine must exceed that which is sucked into the engine.

Here's a site I ran into many years ago and did a 'shoestring' priced version of.
About Ram Air Box

I wasn't after the 'ram' effect, I was more interested in getting cool air, as much as the engine wants, to the air cleaner. Looking at the little rectangular, accordian air intake hose, and knowing just enough about airflow principles to be dangerous, I thought, "This is ridiculous!" Now, Clyde has a carb and this may or may not be of use to the EFI people but here it is. It just may get some mental "wheels turning".

Not a great photo, but you get the idea. I bought another air cleaner, cut off the snorkel and installed a 4" oval intake. I removed the plastic intake in the radiator header, cut the opening larger and installed a sheetmetal rectangular to 4" round intake that would fit the opening I could make and connected the two with 4" aluminum flex tubing. I've got 1/4" mesh screen behind the grill to keep out the larger insects although I get a good collection of bugs on the air cleaner. All the components came from one of the local 'big box' home stores and I might have $20 in the whole thing.

I was originally set up for dual intakes but decided that was total overkill. There are some changes I'd like to make but haven't gotten around to. I'm sure the intake air would be cooler if the flex was insulated from the engine compartment. The attachment from the hose to the carb is a PITA sometimes.

I've been running this setup for years and it's worked well for me. I'm sure there are going to be some critics and purists but w/e ...

Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I am not fond of the flex tubing, but otherwise it looks decent. Because of the aluminum finish, I would be surprised if insulating it further does much to cool the in coming air.

You could try a sheet of the open celled foam used for window air conditioner filters to keep some of the bugs out. You will probably have to sandwich it between two pieces of mesh to hold steady, but it would make a decent pre filter.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too went the cooler air route. I spent about $70 for a carb hat, tubing and filter. I know it made an improvement as my vacumn reading at idle increased 2". I still need to make a heat shield for it which should be really simple with a few small sheets of tin. I think I may use a 460 intake tube from an EFI truck to bring in the air from the stock location since you can cut the curve off the end of the tube giving you somewhat of a ram air effect.

I know it's the accordian tubing but it was $20. The smooth tubing is $20 a section no matter the size which could of cost me over $100 on that stuff alone. I'm still not entirely set on the location anyhow so it would suck to buy the tubes then have to buy more tubes later if I decide to move it.

You could also just cut a hole in your hood and do this.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:48 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
I have always wanted to mount an air intake scoop off an old Ford SuperDuty 850 on Clyde but didn't want to cut into the hood. The scoop can be seen in this picture below the right side of what appears to be a window frame above the hood. I drove a spankin' new big ol' SD850 tandem dump for a contractor back ~1970. 477-V8 5X3 trans, what a pig it was! Fell in love with a Chevy C70 13 yard tandem dump after that .... 427 V8 5X4 ...fabulous drivers truck. Glad I didn't have to buy the gas!!!

Sorry, best picture I could come up with right now ...

Old 09-14-2008, 12:30 PM
magusjinx
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still thinking about a shaker style ... Or something that comes out the hood ... But the air cleaner sits so far back that right above it is the bracing for the hood ... Hate to cut that ...

Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM
magusjinx
Elder User
Originally Posted by ClydeSDale
Here's a site I ran into many years ago and did a 'shoestring' priced version of.
About Ram Air Box

I've been running this setup for years and it's worked well for me. I'm sure there are going to be some critics and purists but w/e ...
I would love to find something like that for my 6.9 ...Put a verticle 90 on each one tooped with http://kandn.com/images/l/58-1210.jpg ... Via Holes in the hood or homemade scoops ...

Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
I built one for my Mark LT which retains the oem filter (I use a wix HP series unit)- gained 2 mpg city and 1 mpg hwy. Much better throttle off idle response....30-60 mph about the same , 70+ nice difference. Contact me if you would like further info. Also meets all CARB requirements.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM
guitarnik
Elder User
i was thinkin of building an air intake for my truck. kinda a dual intake, dont have pictures, i wanted to buy two smaller hood scoops and put on on each side of the hood so i could miss the bracing and then routes two seperate air cleaners to them and cut a hole just big enough for the air cleaner to suck air through. never did it though. now you guys have really got me thinkin bringin this up again. always thinkin and wantin to buils somethin for my truck.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:36 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The main element is drawing in outside cooler air, not heated underhood air. They stock set-up does this pretty well.

Quick Reply: homemade ram air