My 1954 F100/F250 4x4 Build - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Projects
Reload this Page >

My 1954 F100/F250 4x4 Build

Notices
Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

My 1954 F100/F250 4x4 Build

Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
Here's today's progress.

I started out by pulling out the shear. I marked and drilled a couple holes on the cross bar on the front of my trailer. Then I bolted the shear onto the trailer ( I unbolted it when I was done with it ).

Next I brought out the box with two 2'x4' sheets of diamond plate/tread/floor plate (whatever you want to call it ) 16 gauge steel. I bought these off the internet from Discount Steel. I also bought two 2'x3' sheets in July or August. They have great service. and the sheets were double boxed to keep them from getting damaged during shipping.

Here's a shot of my floor material.

I used the templates I made yesterday to mark out the cut lines. I started using the shear. It cut great except You can only cut about 7" deep with this shear! I knew I should have spent the extra money for the throatless shear. Oh well this will work great when I start doing the body work. I'll need to cut out a bunch of small patch panels. Since the shear wasn't going to work for cutting out my floor pieces I dug out the my hand held jigsaw.

Once I had the panels cut out I clamped the panels between a couple 2"x2" tubes. I clamped the whole thing to the tailgate of my 87 F250. Then I hammered the ends to get a bend in them. Next I checked the panels to make sure they fit. I clamped the driverside panel to the floor with a vicegrip.

Then I welded the panel in.

I went over the weld beads quick with the grinder to clean them up a little. I'm going to smooth them out a little more once all the floors are in.

I moved to the passenger side and welded it in.

I cleaned up the welds a little.

It's starting to come together. I'm hoping to get a big chunk of the floors done tomorrow.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:38 AM
jay54f100
Senior User
jay54f100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
looking good keep up the good work

Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jay54f100 View Post
looking good keep up the good work

Thanks.

Here's today's progress.

I started out by making some templates for my rear filler panels. It took a couple try to get them right. ops: Once I finally got them to fit right I traced them onto the diamond plate.

Then I cut them out with the jigsaw. These panels are fairly complex. So it took me a few hours to get them cut out. :roll: Once I got them cut out I did a test fit and marked out where I needed to drill the holes for the body mount bolts and where I needed to bend the panels. I used a hole saw to drill the holes. The smallest hole saw I have is a 2 5/8" that I bought to install my guages. So the holes are a little bigger then they need to be. But hopefully the seats will cover up that area anyways. :lol:

Next I clamped the panels to the cross bar on my trailer and hammered the one part of the panel over. Did a couple more test fits. That's about as far as I got today. I still have a few small adjustments to make to the panels and then weld them in. But the pictures give you and idea of what it'll look like.

I've got to fix my brother's Taurus so it will probably be a day or two before I get back to the 54.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:47 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
Yesterday I did the final trim on the rear floor section. I did some more trimming on the transmission tunnel. And I did some more cutting on the firewall. I did some more test fitting of the transmission tunnel.

I also did a lot of clean up with a grinder, flap wheel and wire brush on the rear floor section. Then I sprayed some weld thru primer. I was just going to spray the areas I was going to cover up but I got a little carried away. I also cut out most of the cab brace I installed. I did leave the front crossbar in place until I get the front floors in.

I have some issues with those rear diamond plate panels I made. I'm still trying to decide if I want to make a couple new ones or try to work with the ones I made. I made a couple mistakes on them so they don't fit as well I want.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:26 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
Today I welded the transmission tunnel in. It still needs a lot of work but it's welded in. I need to make some filler/trim pieces to blend it all in. But it's in.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:18 PM
GHOSTDANCER
Freshman User
GHOSTDANCER is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great looking project !

Old 11-09-2008, 09:03 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
Thanks. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:02 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of
THat's quite a project. I'm impressed with your photo journal. Thanks for all the pics. Keep up the good work.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:13 PM
fordman75
Postmaster
Thanks. The build is on hold until spring. I'll post more on it when I start working on it again.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 AM
jay54f100
Senior User
jay54f100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cant wait until spring. Keep up the good luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
89bluenotch
Junior User
89bluenotch is starting off with a positive reputation.
wow i don't usually post in this section, all though i do have a 54 myself. i just looked through every page your doing a awesome job i know what its like working without a shop. keep up the good work! looks great

Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
fordman75
Postmaster
Thanks. Building it in my driveway just adds to the challenge.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Customcab
Postmaster
Customcab has a very good reputation on FTE.Customcab has a very good reputation on FTE.Customcab has a very good reputation on FTE.Customcab has a very good reputation on FTE.
Very impressive detail journal; As others mention, your driveway shop is producing a great ride.
Having the focus and mental plan as you do allows for others of us to live & learn as well..

Looking forward to Spring myself; just to check on your progress.

Mitch

Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 AM
fordman75
Postmaster
Thanks. I'm getting really sick of winter. I want to get going on this build again.

My work on this isn't perfect. But I'm having fun and I'm learning as I go.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
been noticably absent except to check in on the 48-60 forum , and i must say i'm impressed with what you got done !!!!! WORK PERFECT ?? who cares man it's your's your having fun and you should be proud of it . later , gotta go fix a small issue on the flatty in my 53 ...................

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1954 F100/F250 4x4 Build

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: