How do I dry wash my bio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Tom, I wouldn't pump it untill it is below 10 microns.
even with a diaphragm pump?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:10 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by empiretc
even with a diaphragm pump?
Tom was talking about a centrifugal pump. Using a diaphragm pump is fine ( it's what I use). Using a centrifugal, or gear pump is problematic. When Magnesol is mixed with raw biodiesel it swells up. Using anything but a diaphragm "shears" those swollen particles, and makes it harder to remove.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Tom was talking about a centrifugal pump. Using a diaphragm pump is fine ( it's what I use). Using a centrifugal, or gear pump is problematic. When Magnesol is mixed with raw biodiesel it swells up. Using anything but a diaphragm "shears" those swollen particles, and makes it harder to remove.

that is what I thought. I have a pump on order. It took 2 hours for me to filter 4 gallons and figure the pump will help a lot. thanks for confirmation.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is what I thought. I have a pump on order. It took 2 hours for me to filter 4 gallons and figure the pump will help a lot. thanks for confirmation.
Do you have a link for the pump you ordered?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Tom, I wouldn't pump it untill it is below 10 microns.
Thanks Don. Not to get too "nitt-picky" but is that 10 micron absolute or can we let a few of those rascals sneak through my regular 10 micron filter without any sheering problem? Tom

Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom D
Thanks Don. Not to get too "nitt-picky" but is that 10 micron absolute or can we let a few of those rascals sneak through my regular 10 micron filter without any sheering problem? Tom
Just for you Tom............We can let a few rascals sneak through

Old 06-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Just for you Tom............We can let a few rascals sneak through
Thanks Don. I will sleep better tonight knowing the little rascals won't be swimming around in my bio trying to avoid getting sheered.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Where did you get your diaphram pump? Did you check around for a decent price? Is it manual or motorized? Thanks Tom D.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:26 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tom D
Where did you get your diaphram pump? Did you check around for a decent price? Is it manual or motorized? Thanks Tom D.
northern. electric of course- $250.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Tom D
Elder User
US Plastics Corp (www.usplastic.com) has a Guzzler Large volume Hand Diaphram Pump that is pretty reasonable. ($46.02 for a 10 GPM). Do you think that would work OK? I'm trying to keep costs down and $350 is a bit much for no more than you need to use it. I will transfer through it only when I need to pump with Magnesol in the bio. It would take approx 8 strokes to move 10 gal.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:05 PM
ak_cowboy
New User
How do you determine how much magnesol you use. I saw the test stuff and it looked kinda confusing to me on doing to whole acid thing. Also I am using a water irigation pump and only filter to 200 micron for the oil. Will this pump work for the filteration process. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Magnesol

I don't have as much experience as most of the biodiesel guys in this forum, but I use Magnesol without mechanical pumps at all. My entire processor moves liquid off the pressure and suction of a cheap WalMart compressor and my processing tanks are steel. Once I have drained my glycerine I :

- Blow the fuel into a 94 gallon open stock tank and aereate until I know the methanol is gone. The stock tank is elevated so it is above the top of a 275 gallon tank.

- Add 2 grams/liter of Magnesol and stir with an air drill and pain stirrer for 30 minutes. Let it settle for a minimum of 2 hours and if possible overnight.

- Gravity flow into the tote through a 5 micron sock inserted into a 1 micron sock, and both are inserted into another 1 micron sock. (32" x 6" socks).

- Once in the tote I vacum it through a 2 micron Biotech canister filter into an old 120 gallon water tank. Then I blow it back through the sock filters into the tote and through the 2 micron canister filter a second time just because I can.

- From there I pressure it through a 1 micron Biotech and finally through a 1 micron absolute into the transfer tank in my truck.

- Before I run the next batch I scrape the settled Magnesol out of the stock tank.

It really doesn't take much time and I can read newsprint through 3 inches of biodiesel in a glass beaker.

Purolite and Amberlite require too much residence time to be fast enough for the average homebrewer. I think Amberlite instructions are 0.3 gallons per pound of Amberlite per hour. A soda keg holds 10 lbs of Amberlite, so that comes to a whopping 3 gallons per hour!

Sorry if I bored you all with this reply.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:12 PM
ak_cowboy
New User
from what I have read though, that seems a little on the low side. I have seen some people that are running with like3.5 pound per batch for a 40 gallon batch. your method only uses like 11 oz. Please unconfuse me. I have been making this stuff for like 4 years now but I am new to dry wash. Thanks

Old 07-25-2008, 06:44 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
If you don't recover or remove the methanol it requires 2 percent by Weight.
40 gallons at 7.5 lbs/gal = 300 lbs. 2 percent would = 6 lbs of Magnesol.

If you remove the Methanol, and filter out the soap, you can use 1 percent Magnesol, or 3 lbs magnesol / 40 gallon batch.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Follow this link to Fryerpower.com (MAGNESOL R60 and D-Sol (D60) at FRYERPOWER HOME). Read that page and then go to the Burlington Biodiesel link.

I do take pains to demeth thoroughly, I am passing the 3/27 test, and the clarity is great. At first I did not believe it would work and clear up such cloudy fuel, so I used a whopping 3 grams/liter.

Besides, the methanol has to come out sometime anyway.

Quick Reply: How do I dry wash my bio?