How do I dry wash my bio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:44 PM
KyleG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I dry wash my bio?

What do i need to dry wash my bio-diesel? and what does it entail...i dont really want to water wash.
Thanks

Old 06-15-2008, 02:16 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is how Magnesol works:

YouTube - Video 2:The agitation process and Magnesol introduction

YouTube - Video 3:The wash process

YouTube - Video 4:The importance of final polishing

Very simple really. Just add in the proper amount of Magnesol, Mix mechanicaly! Prefilter, and final filter ( I filter down to 1 micron ).

NO washwater to dispose of, NO washwater to dry out, Clean Fuel!

Old 06-15-2008, 03:03 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I plan on letting it settle for 24hrs after processing --> drain the glycerin--> then add magnesol and mix for 30 minutes --finally filter it out @ 1 micron into storage tank.

Sound good, Don?

Old 06-15-2008, 03:58 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
That will work just fine. I used to settle for only 12 hours, but the new plant will use a centrifuge for glycerol separation. I have been doing some experimentation with this:

YouTube - High Speed, Glycerol Separation using High Voltage

Looks promising for small scale use.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Wow, that Electrostatic glycerol separation is slick!

As for the drywash, the filtration systems in the links posted look like some big $$$$

What are "shade tree brewers" using for final filtration after the drywash? Is anyone using a washable prefilter then a better spin on type filter for the 1 micron? Looks like the Magnesol makes a mess on in the prefilter.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:23 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
The filter set up in the video is close to what I used, but isn't necessary. Even a simple bag filter over a bucket will work. It's best to prefilter with a 5-10 micron bag filter, then through a 1 micron absolute bag filter.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:30 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Az.scarecrow
Wow, that Electrostatic glycerol separation is slick!

As for the drywash, the filtration systems in the links posted look like some big $$$$

What are "shade tree brewers" using for final filtration after the drywash? Is anyone using a washable prefilter then a better spin on type filter for the 1 micron? Looks like the Magnesol makes a mess on in the prefilter.
here is a "shade tree" or back woods style filter setup I built do to this, I also end up running it through a 1 micron absolute filter as it goes into the storage barrel. This picture shows just the bag, the bag in a fixture I built out of PVC pipe fittings with the cam lock and the setup on the hose. maybe better ways I don't know but I do get good results with this setup and the magnasol wash.

I actually run mine through a 50 micron then 25 and onto 5 and to a 1 micron and the final is a 1 micron absolute.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Very interesting, thanks for the pic.

I like it!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:14 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Google purolite. Then you don't need to worry about your filters failing to catch particles like the Mag. The purolite has other equipment needs but I think it looks promising. I have not used it but I would like to.

Also I recover all the methanol my fuel then let it settle for a few days and the left over soap settle out. Filter thru 1 micron bag filters and use it.

MonsterBaby could you give some specs on those bag housings you built? been looking for some thing like that.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:27 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
In over 4 years I've never had a problem with Magnesol, But I've talked to several people that tried Purolite, and switched to Magnesol ( including a couple on this forum).

Magnesol does a great job of cleaning up biodiesel, is relatively cheap, and is much easier than water-washing.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:29 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

you want info on the bags themselves? I by them from McMaster-Carr

The filter housing I built are done with 5" pcv pipe, I used the adaptors to glue onto the end of the pipe to adapt to 5" pipe threads then use the caps like you would use for caping a sewer drain cleanout (you can buy them at menards, lowes, home depot etc) I drilled out the end just slightly smaller then 1" npt and used a metal 1" pipe as a tap then just screwed in the cam lock into it. Idid have one that ended up being a little loose so I took a pvc female coupling and screwed on inside it for tighter fit.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
In over 4 years I've never had a problem with Magnesol, But I've talked to several people that tried Purolite, and switched to Magnesol ( including a couple on this forum).

Magnesol does a great job of cleaning up biodiesel, is relatively cheap, and is much easier than water-washing.
What were the complaints about the purolite that made them switched back to Magnesol? Just curious as I am looking at polishing my fuel a little more.

Originally Posted by monsterbaby

The filter housing I built are done with 5" pcv pipe, I used the adaptors to glue onto the end of the pipe to adapt to 5" pipe threads then use the caps like you would use for caping a sewer drain cleanout (you can buy them at menards, lowes, home depot etc) I drilled out the end just slightly smaller then 1" npt and used a metal 1" pipe as a tap then just screwed in the cam lock into it. Idid have one that ended up being a little loose so I took a pvc female coupling and screwed on inside it for tighter fit.
I have the filters. The PVC info was what I was looking for. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Are you using the;
Heavy Duty Polyester Felt Bags with Carbon Steel Retaining Ring?

What diameter bag fits in that handy little PVC piece you constructed?
5-1/2?

I like how simple your filter set up is.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Az.scarecrow
Are you using the;
Heavy Duty Polyester Felt Bags with Carbon Steel Retaining Ring?

What diameter bag fits in that handy little PVC piece you constructed?
5-1/2?

I like how simple your filter set up is.
Yes thats the bags I am using, trade size 4 is the ones that fit in that housing securily. my 5 micron bag is part number 5162k18 if you find that one I use all my sizes off that same line except my final filter which is part number 9844k41 for a 1 micron absolute filter. I did build a enclosed holder for the final one that also necks down to a I believe it's a 2" short piece of PVC pipe that fits snuggly into one of the large bungs on a 55 gallon drum making it easy to filter directly into my storage drum.

I like simple too. Thanks

Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Az.scarecrow
Senior User
Thanks for the info

BTW; I get a chuckle from your sig! Its so true.

SO, how are you mixing the drywash? Are you using a paddle or a pump?

Quick Reply: How do I dry wash my bio?