1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

installing new/used trans.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:33 PM
fludoc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing new/used trans.

OK, so I've been looking over some other posts on swapping transmissions and changing fluid in the new one. Since my 95 doesn't have a drain plug on it is there any way to do this without getting covered in fluid??? And after I drain the TC, how do I fill it back up? Should I fill it before I install it or dump a bunch in the pan and then....what, run the motor to move it into the TC?? Anything else I need to know???

This would be so much more fun if I knew what I was doing

Old 06-14-2008, 03:27 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya just gotta loosen the pan bolts in such a manner that a rear corner starts to sag and the oil pours from that area. Just keep doing that until you get enough out that you can manage to drop the whole pan and pour out the rest.

Now that the pan is off that makes for a good time to install a drain plug for future drains. Drain the TC and put the plug back in. After you are done doing what you dropped the pan for in the first place, button it back up and add enough fluid that it shows full on the dip stick. Start the engine and place the selector in drive, reverse and all of the other gears.

Check the oil and keep adding until the truck wants to move and the final check on the dip stick shows full. Viola, it's done. Check for leaks.

Now go change your shirt because it's full of tranny fluid.

Rog

Old 06-14-2008, 06:47 AM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could also just use a pan from a 99-03 7.3 SouperDooty with the 4R100 auto. It comes with a drain plug and is a bit deeper and holds more fluid. If you use the 4R pan you will have to use a 4x4 trans filter even if your truck is 2WD