6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Overhead Gauge Pod

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Dieselmanor
FTE Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 4 gauge windshield mount in my truck. I've actually removed it 3 times before I had to replace the snap lock tape. This time I used some industrial velcro stuff that I purchased from Mcmaster-carr. The Velcro that you get from the home center is not industrial and may not adhere as well. The nice thing about the new Velcro I used is that it appears black from the outside of the glass, so it's not visible. The only problem is that it's not as thick as the snap lock tape, so you really have to push it up against the glass for both pieces to make contact.

As for the silicone, we've had several customers do that too. Some say it works well, and others say it didn't work and just fell off again. The important thing is, no matter how you mount the mounts; both mating areas must be absolutely clean first. And you must make sure that both the glass and gauge mount are warm. In cold weather they will not stick properly. Once you try to stick it up there, you don't get a 2nd chance. In this weather it's not a problem, but in the Winter we have more customer calls regarding this problem.

As for the ISSPROs, make sure you cut off the threaded studs of the back of the gauges. They will make contact in the limited space of these mounts. Also, you cannot use the mounting brackets. Don't even try or bother w/ them. They're intended for panel mounting, such as in boats or large truck panels.

The tape is a good idea to snug up the fit on the ISSPROs. For some reason they are slightly smaller in diameter than the DiPricols. Actually, DiPricols are a bit too larger and require you to do some minor sanding to the gauge holes to get them to be able to press fit inside.

Hope this info helps a little.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselmanor
I have the 4 gauge windshield mount in my truck. I've actually removed it 3 times before I had to replace the snap lock tape. This time I used some industrial velcro stuff that I purchased from Mcmaster-carr. The Velcro that you get from the home center is not industrial and may not adhere as well. The nice thing about the new Velcro I used is that it appears black from the outside of the glass, so it's not visible. The only problem is that it's not as thick as the snap lock tape, so you really have to push it up against the glass for both pieces to make contact.

As for the silicone, we've had several customers do that too. Some say it works well, and others say it didn't work and just fell off again. The important thing is, no matter how you mount the mounts; both mating areas must be absolutely clean first. And you must make sure that both the glass and gauge mount are warm. In cold weather they will not stick properly. Once you try to stick it up there, you don't get a 2nd chance. In this weather it's not a problem, but in the Winter we have more customer calls regarding this problem.

As for the ISSPROs, make sure you cut off the threaded studs of the back of the gauges. They will make contact in the limited space of these mounts. Also, you cannot use the mounting brackets. Don't even try or bother w/ them. They're intended for panel mounting, such as in boats or large truck panels.

The tape is a good idea to snug up the fit on the ISSPROs. For some reason they are slightly smaller in diameter than the DiPricols. Actually, DiPricols are a bit too larger and require you to do some minor sanding to the gauge holes to get them to be able to press fit inside.

Hope this info helps a little.
David,
I actually purchased some velcro from Walmart before the weekend. I will update with the brand name but it is "supposed" to stick to any surface up to 175 degrees. So far so good. I will see how this holds up in the Las Vegas heat. I am glad you said not to worry about the mounting brackets... I somehow managed to install them with one screw on each gauge. I cussed alot in the process. The next day I have some free time I will pull them off and cut off the posts so I can get a flush fit on the front of the gauges. Thank you very much for the input!! I gave you some rep points!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Dieselmanor
FTE Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that velcro does not work, try the stuff that I used. I got it from one of our suppliers, Mcmaster. we purchased a large roll of it because we use it for other things here sometimes, but they do sell it in smaller qtys. It's the Mil Spec stuff. Rated for 280F
McMaster-Carr

Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might also try checking Lowe's and Home Depot for "automotive dashboard" velcro. The last time I looked for it at H-D, there were a number of different grades of adhesive available, for nearly any application. I used the dashboard velcro to mount my speaker crossovers, inside the door. That was over a year ago.

-blaine

(woot! 500th post!)

Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
If that velcro does not work, try the stuff that I used. I got it from one of our suppliers, Mcmaster. we purchased a large roll of it because we use it for other things here sometimes, but they do sell it in smaller qtys. It's the Mil Spec stuff. Rated for 280F
McMaster-Carr
You might also try checking Lowe's and Home Depot for "automotive dashboard" velcro. The last time I looked for it at H-D, there were a number of different grades of adhesive available, for nearly any application. I used the dashboard velcro to mount my speaker crossovers, inside the door. That was over a year ago.
I checked out the velcro on the Mcmaster site... there is one type on there that is "flame" proof. That's the stuff we need here in Las Vegas! So far the velcro from Walmart is doing great.
Thank you for the replies.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is the trick guys... Stick the stuff to the windshield and let it sit for a day. It needs time to cure before you hang something from it. I have done this on MANY installs and it always works.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:26 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Here is the trick guys... Stick the stuff to the windshield and let it sit for a day. It needs time to cure before you hang something from it. I have done this on MANY installs and it always works.
Did your signature say "16 Isspro Gauges"??? You must post pictures... please!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jmaskew
Did your signature say "16 Isspro Gauges"??? You must post pictures... please!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster

LOL... sorry...LOL

Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
CSIPSD, aahhh... .... speechless! That is an awesome setup! I will show my wife, she thinks I'm nuts installing 4 gauges but when I show her your 16 gauges... lol. Thank you for the pictures!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:46 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
CSIPSD, aahhh... .... speechless! That is an awesome setup! I will show my wife, she thinks I'm nuts installing 4 gauges but when I show her your 16 gauges... lol. Thank you for the pictures!

There are 18 in there now, but one is going to be a scan gauge that will watch 2 things at once... see here...

Terminator Engineering

Also all my gauges are the new performax line from Isspro. Only three wires in the cab for the gauges, three wires to run ALL 17 gauges!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:07 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone know of an adhesive that will work in hot temperatures? I live in the Las Vegas valley where the temperatures have been in the upper 90's and low 100's. The adhesive on the Velcro, that holds the overhead pod to the windshield, keeps softening up and the pod will slide down and rest on the rear view mirror. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
mine did the same thing, and the interior at 90*F here can get over 140*F on the dash during the daytime. I have the same issue, I used ever larger velcrow..same thing so I had to add a small piece of cardboard in between the mirror bracket and the pod..works but looks poor..I need to find a better way.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
This is the velcro I used and it seems to be holding up very well in the heat.
I purchased it at Walmart.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
McMaster-Carr
I just email McMaster and they said they no longer carry the high heat adhesive back velcro. The Walmart stuff ended up melting. I am currently searching the Internet for another place to order some.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I have never found any good stuff either. I have not looked online though.

Quick Reply: Overhead Gauge Pod