6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Overhead Gauge Pod

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:32 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Overhead Gauge Pod

Does anyone know of an adhesive that will work in hot temperatures? I live in the Las Vegas valley where the temperatures have been in the upper 90's and low 100's. The adhesive on the Velcro, that holds the overhead pod to the windshield, keeps softening up and the pod will slide down and rest on the rear view mirror. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:59 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder if they changed the adhesive that they used on the velcro, I have had mine in for 2 years and it has not moved, and the truck has been up to about 115 inside at times.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:31 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by wb6anp
I wonder if they changed the adhesive that they used on the velcro, I have had mine in for 2 years and it has not moved, and the truck has been up to about 115 inside at times.
Thank you for the reply. I actually messed up the velcro that came with the pod. I am using some velcro from Lowe's which is probably not made for heat. I just got back from Pepboy's with some rubber based velcro (the kind that came with it) so I will give it a try later tonight. Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM
loubell
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
the rear view mirror actually has two pivots. One at the mirror, and one at the glass. I adjusted mine so that the mirror snugs up against the gauge pod. I am hoping that this will help keep it in place indefinately.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:07 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by loubell
the rear view mirror actually has two pivots. One at the mirror, and one at the glass. I adjusted mine so that the mirror snugs up against the gauge pod. I am hoping that this will help keep it in place indefinately.
That's a good idea. When the gauge lights are on I get a little light leaking through the top of the pod between the 2nd and 3rd gauge, do you guys experience this? The pod is very snug on the sides and I can't push it up any higher.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:04 PM
loubell
Mountain Pass
The light leakage at night is exactly why I do it.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM
OregonF350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get rid of the light leaks on the Isspro's I taped up the bezels and painted the housing with flat black.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by OregonF350
To get rid of the light leaks on the Isspro's I taped up the bezels and painted the housing with flat black.
If you have any pictures of your gauges please post them. I have the same issue with the Isspro gauges not quite fitting "flush" with the pod so there is a little light around the gauges. It isn't too bad but I like your idea of painting the gauges black to keep the light from showing. The top of the gauge pod kept sliding down when the velcro glue got soft by the sun. I bought some 3M velcro (the clear plastic kind) and it seems to have worked. As long as you get the back of the gauge between the glass and the metal lip, it will slide way up eliminating light around the top of the gauge pod. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 PM
DesertDave
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the light leaks around the gauge body, a wrap of electrical tape might fix that. I used tape on mine to snug up the gauge and keep it fully 'in' the mount, and coincidently I haven't noticed any light leakage.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 AM
ingman
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Jmaskew, the glue that hold the mirror to the window might work for the sliding problem. don't know about the light leak. The tape idea that the others have said sound good to me.

Good luck

Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 AM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ingman
Jmaskew, the glue that hold the mirror to the window might work for the sliding problem. don't know about the light leak. The tape idea that the others have said sound good to me.

Good luck
After a couple of days with temps around 110 degrees the glue on the velcro has melted again. Would a bead of clear silicon along the bottom edge of the pod stand up to heat? I'll look into the super glue idea also. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 PM
raptor131
Cargo Master
if you buy velcro make certain it is quality like 3M, lowes might stock chinese velcro. unless the 3m stuff is made here and then assembled by chinese is still fine

Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 AM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by raptor131
if you buy velcro make certain it is quality like 3M, lowes might stock chinese velcro. unless the 3m stuff is made here and then assembled by chinese is still fine
I purchased a box of 3M velcro at pepboys. It has two rolls in it, one is clear rubber/plastic and the other roll is white fabric. I used the clear one. It's just so hot here the glue is melting. I have some clear silicon I used around the stove that is good to 400 degrees. I will try a bead along the bottom edge and see if that works. Thanks for the reply. Keep the suggestions coming, there is a solution out there somewhere.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 AM
loubell
Mountain Pass
I actually messed up the velcro that came with the pod. I am using some velcro from Lowe's which is probably not made for heat
Call the vendor that sold you the gauges and ask them if they can throw a few pieces of the good velcro stuff i nan envelope and mail it to you for $5.
Simple deal

Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM
raptor131
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jmaskew
I purchased a box of 3M velcro at pepboys. It has two rolls in it, one is clear rubber/plastic and the other roll is white fabric. I used the clear one. It's just so hot here the glue is melting. I have some clear silicon I used around the stove that is good to 400 degrees. I will try a bead along the bottom edge and see if that works. Thanks for the reply. Keep the suggestions coming, there is a solution out there somewhere.

silicone is your best option. if you can get your hands on this stuff

it is by far the best silicone adhesive i have come across. we use here outside in florida at work and have attatched metal to painted surfaces and you need a knife and elbow grease to free it.

Quick Reply: Overhead Gauge Pod