Anyone use component speaker system

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-1999, 07:18 AM
Greg77F250HighBoy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 77 f250 with the fuel tank behind the bench seat. Dose anyone know if the "component systems" From sony or Rockford or Infinity sound good in the door. Most are a 5 or 6 inch sub and a tweeter. I listen to all forms of music
and can't use the sub enclosure from my 78 f150.
Is there a box for under the seat? Im not looking to shake up the whole neighborhood, but I do like a little low end presentation in my music.

Old 06-05-1999, 04:28 AM
76highboy
Senior User

You probably won't notice any improvement in bass response with a component system over a good set of 6-1/2 3 ways in the doors unless you can get a subwoofer under the seat or somewhere else. You could probably have one custom made for not too much.

If you upgrade the speakers in the doors, be sure to put some sound damping material inside the door skin and on the inner framework. Rattling and buzzing will be your worst nightmare. If you can manage to kill all of the rattles in the doors, you'd be surprised at how much power you can pump into those door speakers. A CD with test tones really helps here. Put some cushioning between the plastic door panel and the door frame. Also, make sure the speakers are well protected from water from above.

For speakers, I'd go with Kenwood, Infinity or maybe Pioneer.

I put a DIN CD receiver in the dash of my '76. For tips on that, send me an email.

Old 06-06-1999, 02:58 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I also have a 77 but the 1/2 year model so I didn't need to worry about the fuel tank. The first system I put in the truck had a 6 inch rockford speakers mounted low in the door and a JBL tweeter and 4 inch Rockford mount high. This was all run by a 150 watt amp run 75 to each door. Sounded nice but a little but a little weak on the bass. I have upgraded the system now to include with a 300 watt amp and two 10 inch Rockford punch sub in a ported inclosure. Placed 2nd last year in a local car audio contest. The system is really clean. My advice would be to take it to your local car audio dealer tell them what you are looking for and let them go to town. It may cost a little more than doing it yourself but there the pros. Has far as getting more base look at pioneer, they used to sell base plates which could be installed under the seat. Turned the cab in to a big base speaker. Sounds funny but it seems to work. Good luck.

Old 06-09-1999, 06:06 PM
berso
Junior User

why don't try to fit a bazzuka behind the seats?
i do that with a Ranger time ago,it has no space at all,but that was one of the better bass i'll ever have, i make a custome ones with a 6 inch Wide x 2 feet long green water tube, with 1 speker on each side, and that realy sound BOOM!!! BOOM!!, if you need any tip's on doing this, e-mail me a line..
Good Luck

Old 07-03-1999, 04:21 PM
ASD
New User

Components will have not advantage over coaxials without a sub. Either get a sub, or here are some components with AWESOME midbass: Diamond HEX or Motorsport, Image Dynamics, a/d/s, Focal, and DEI. These are a few steps above any mentioned(besides the Fanatic Qs, those kick ***) and most are not much more expensive...

Old 10-02-1999, 10:41 AM
tonka
Junior User

I might suggest that you take lots of time and look around at as much of what is out there as you can. You would be very suprised at how small the box volumes are for an 8",10",or12". My experience is with Alpine, Kicker, and Cerwin-Vega
but I have seen a 12" sub take 600 watts in .9 of a cubic foot . I'm not saying you have to go to extreme just look at your options .and don't alwys just take the dealers word for anything, read for yourself.The more time you take now the better off you'll be. As far as door speakers go there are a couple of things, watch the mounting depth for things like window mechanics etc. Wattage isn't a huge factor because if you go with a reputable manufacturer they tend to under rate their stuff any way and you can get a styrofoam surround for in behind the speakers because those old doors do tend to leak. As far as sound quality goes start with the sourse, If your deck puts out crap your speakers will put out crap.
Got lots more to say but i would go on forever
so bye for now.
tonka

Old 02-08-2002, 01:59 AM
weldman
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Anyone use component speaker system

Old 04-19-2002, 07:53 PM
jogaard_78
New User

hey dude. about your offer for tips on installing a cd player in a truck like this, i'd really like hearing them. thanks for your time 76highboy.