1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Injector question, and OTHER truck news.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector question, and OTHER truck news.....

Well, I had kicked around the idea of selling my NBS PSD. Today, a buddy of mine showed up, was chatting about the truck when I mentioned I had thought about selling it. He asked what I would want for it, I told him I figured 18 or 19, and about 45 minutes later he showed up with 18,500.

So now I have two psd. Both duallys, both OBS, and both work for me.

So now, I guess its time to put some money back into the truck that has helped my business grow. Hence the injector question in the title of the thread.

If I upgrade from stock, to stage one or twos, what difference can i expect towing? Here is why i ask essentually a motor is nothing but a overly complicated airpump. With stock sticks, pulling my heavier loads, I see 1000 degree on the pyro while programmed for towing. If I add bigger sticks, they are supposed to make the motor more efficient, I.E. less heat, but they deliver more fuel, I.E. more heat combustuion wise. So If ai add 1s or 2s, and hauling my backhoe I see 1000 degrees in od at 60 mph, what can I see with 1s? 2s? (egt wise). I know that I would have more get up and go, but if its going to run hotter, then its not worth it to me with as much heavy hauling as I use the truck for. Need some info on this as I am sure that injection duration and injection itiming wil play most of the issue here, so I guess I am looking torward the REAL gurus out there to help me as I am mostly a theorisist...........LOL

Old 06-01-2008, 04:36 AM
sticks25
Senior User
im not a guru by any means, nearly everything i have learned has been from all the other boys on here. but what i will say is that i have stage 1's in my truck and a DP tuner/strait exhaust/AFE intake and i have had a terrible time with egt's on hills mostly. this is the first PSD i have had without an IC. I drove a 2000 PSD for years with my DP tuner and never had much of an EGT problem. this truck, a 97, is a huge difference. maybe its the stage 1's, but on the right hill, i spend more time looking at my pyro than i do on the road it seems like sometimes. I ordered the beans D66 turbo 2 days ago (my stock one is shot) and my IC choice is still up in the air. from what i have read and my personal experience, if your going to upgrade your injectors, put some sort of an IC in your truck or youll chase your pyro like i have been. tunning is really important too. i put the DP in my 2000, then when i sold it and bought the 97, it came with a superchips. the superchips seemed to work good but i had kept the DP and had it reflashed for the 97. it made a much bigger difference in everything from egt's to mpg's for the better. the moral to this story is, im am trying to avoid heavy towing until i get an IC in here but the stages 1's are awesome. at the end of the day, the 97 is alot more of a truck and worth the mods.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:47 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't go any bigger than 1's unless you want to go all out and get a turbo, big oil, etc. I have 1's and a TW chip. Tows great except for long steep mountain passes, I have to turn down the chip to keep EGT's in check. Flat or gentle hills and no problems. And I'm only talking about a 22' travel trailer, probably 4K lbs I'd guess. That's why I added an IC this winter. Big difference while loaded from what I've hauled so far, but I still haven't been over the pass with it yet to really know what it does with my trailer. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine though.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Hum, I see. If your towing 4 k and guessing youll be fine, perhaps I should stick with stock sticks, as I tow 15k and over three times a week. I dont wanna azz end someone from staring at a pyro to keep from melting a motor down..........

Old 06-01-2008, 04:39 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty hard for me to say whether or not you should upgrade, just trying to offer my experience so far. Stage 1's and a chip make a huge difference in mine, but I need the IC to use that power when loaded. I don't know what hills in Ohio look like. The hills I worry about are steep for up to 10 miles with no letup. Just get a chip with multiple settings, that way you can use the higher settings most of the time, and when you get into a spot that's long and steep with a heavy load you can turn it down. Absolute worst case, you have to turn it down to stock, but at least the rest of the time you can enjoy the benefits that bigger injectors offer.