Stereo Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 11:32 PM
jamesg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stereo Head Unit

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-Dec-02 AT 00:48 AM (EST)]Just wanted to know what ya'll think about Nakamichi head units? Of course not the $1800+ model. I have my selection down to Alpine, Eclipse, or Nakamichi. Not really sure what I am going to do. Does anyone make a good in-dash cd changer for a Super Duty? I am under the impression this is a double-din sized unit. What do you think about JL Audio subs? They make a sweet sub for my new '03 F250 that fits under the center seat in the 40/20/40 split and is covered by the original seat fabric. Probably going to need an amp too. Not made of money, but not cheap either. Thanks for your input. Ya'll know more about this stuff than I do. I'm a race engine builder, not a stereo builder.

Jimmie

Old 12-10-2002, 10:16 PM
henryae99
Freshman User
Stereo Head Unit

Well, I honestly don't know enough about nakamichi to say whether its good or not but i've had several units and my new apine mp3 player is very nice. It 60watts x4 (yeah, powerfull stuff) makes my infinity's sound like IMAX! But as far as subs go, that JL you described sounds expensive b/c its a fitted deal but i put 2 alpine 12's in mine and it sounds great. As far as amp goes, JL is good but very expensive. You could get Alpine with that too or Rockford Fosgate is good.

Henry

Old 12-10-2002, 11:42 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stereo Head Unit

ok nak and eclipse are bare bone HUs when it comes to features but from what i heard they have excellent SQ. i have an alpine and love it. its the CDA-7894 cd/mp3 player. im not sure in in-dash cd changers but if u go mp3 player u might not need one. to fill in the gap above the cd player u can make a plexisglass peice to fit in or a piece of plastic....use ur imagination on that one. as far as subs, jl is good and what u described sounds awsome but also expensive. how much bass do u want? and do u play on replacing ur stock speakers cuz they wont keep up with the sub and the new HU will most likely blow them.

Old 12-19-2002, 03:50 AM
RanDawg
Elder User
Stereo Head Unit

I've had Fosgate, sony, pioneer, Jbl, Legacy, Cerwin Vega, no named radio shack models and JL's in my car. Hands down I would buy JL's again for any application. I would stay away from fosgate, thats just me. I lost so many of those to quality issues. Burnt coils, surround coming loose from the cone. Plus, they just don't sound that good. Too much of their money goes into advertising and not enough into the driver itself. I hate that about these companies, so, I usually lean towards the speaker I don't read too much about in mags. But, hey, that's me. But the JL's give me nice tight bass at high power for 5 years and I only lost one of them due to seizing the coil. I can also recommend cerwin vega, they make decent stuff, but higher cost. I did lose one, but it was my fault. I had the speaker cocked when I tightened down one of the screws and cracked the basket (gotta watch those cast baskets, they stiff and don't bend at all). Never got around to running MTX or Kicker for those same *advertising* issues.

Old 12-19-2002, 04:13 AM
RanDawg
Elder User
Stereo Head Unit