General Automotive Discussion

Anyone here have a Buell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:01 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone here have a Buell?

Im 18, i've had my truck since i was 15, and i've always been itching for a bike since i turned 18 last september. My dad has a harley, but i do not want a "cruiser" type bike. I've always liked the ricer type bikes but never really liked the sound and the rev-to-the-moon type of power. I was looking at a Buell a few months back, not intending to buy one at the time, but i was VERY interested in alot of the stuff they used. In particular i'm looking at a 2007 model Firebolt XB9r. It would be great if anyone had any input on that specific model, that's what im leaning too now. I don't want the bigger one, as this will be my first bike. I want to start off with more than i could possibly handle, but then learn, and grow into something i won't soon outgrow... if that makes sense?

I want to beat the outrageous fuel prices and horrible (cause of my right foot) fuel mileage from my truck at $200+ a fillup. I figure for that, i can make a $200 payment on a bike a month... I don't want to go insanely fast, or race it, if i did i would go for a I4 style engine. I like the torque down low these offer, plus the looks are just killer. I also like the big V twin sound.. Just something to go out cruise around back roads on, go out to town on evenings, park it in the parking lots like we normally do with our trucks...

Take a look at the link below.. Any input is appreciated!

Buell Motorcycles | Browser Compatibility

Old 05-26-2008, 09:08 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Anyone? at all?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:13 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
It's the weekend... Buell for a first scoot? You ride at all before? Kind of a high $ high performance bike to learn on.

This is the kind of bike that might save you money on gas, but eats it up in other ways.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
True. Priced tires lately? Buells (and most sportbikes) love 'em .

However, it can be a good choice for first sportbike. It's torquey engine is perfect for beginners with a good brain and you'll not exceed the limits of the bike (except in drag racing) anytime soon.

I love the engineering Eric Buell puts into his bikes! I loath the antiquated engine though. Go ride one and you'll see that a Suzuki SV650 & especially the SV1000S or naked will run circles around that XB9r. However, if it's the look you like, then no amount of "talking" is gonna talk you out of it. If it's a twin you want then there are many good inexpensive choices out there.

And speaking of the I4 engines for going fast....uh....ever heard of Ducati? They're smoking many a I4's with their V2.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 AM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

I'd second the Ducati also. Having said that, I still like a Buell. I'm leaning more towards the XB9S though. Or a Ducati Monster Dark. And believe it or not, I can get a Monster cheaper than an XB9S.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 AM
EricW.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got one (check the bike thread in general non-auto) had it since February 20th, it has 1650 miles on it, 850 when I bought it, it's an '06, its been in the shop more in the past four months than my prior bike ('98 Triumph Daytona) was in the near two years I've owned it... I love this bike but all the troubles I'm having I'll be going to talk trade in with a new ('08) Yamaha R6, might be just a fluke in the bike but its pushed my buttons to the point I'm afraid to ride it as the issues I've had thus far could cause some serious harm if they happened while riding hard....

if you like the sound/power of the v-twins look into the Suzuki SV1000S, Suzuki TL1000S or R, or the Honda Superhawk or RC51....

ALSO, if this is going to be your first bike DON'T get something new, you will drop it at some point and it's a HECK of a lot easier to replace parts on an older bike than on a brand new machine...

Just remember this one phrase, "there's two types of riders, ones that have gone down and ones that will go down"....

Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 AM
EricW.
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
I'd second the Ducati also...
For a first bike I'd stay away from the Ducati or any European bike for that matter, the cost of service (even the Buells for that matter) is OUTRAGEOUS!!! Jap bikes are cheap and easy to get parts for...

Old 05-27-2008, 06:27 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Wow, thanks everyone for the input.. I got some good stuff to go on, and alot to think about. But keep it coming!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
I typed a whole bunch of stuff but this stupid touchpad on this laptop is a POS.

Basically what I typed before said:

1. Sit on the XB9R.....just sit on it for 5 minutes in the riding position. Then sit on an SV650 or similar. THEN tell us what bike you want. You're taller than 4'2" and that XB9R will have you begging for a rest in one trip across town.

2. The powerband of the Buell is nothing like a Harley. It is short, late, and peaky. Add that to the 6K or so redline and you have a very hard around-town bike to ride. The SV650 is no slouch and once you're out of the really tight twisties, you'll be way ahead of the Buell.

3. Ducati? Are you made of money? Maintenance on those things is proposterous. Dry clutches and timing belts? What were they thinking. Sexy, sure. Daily rider? Not on your life. See the first paragraph on "comfort". Same deal. The footpegs are REALLY high and the handlebars are REALLY low.

Now would I recommend something that I have? Not really. If you're not into the I4's then a "crotch rocket" probably isn't even a consideration. However, an older "sport touring" type bike is a good bet. Great economy, great ergonomics, and they are usually pretty fair priced. Something along the lines of an older Katana 750 or ZX-6E would probably be ok....especially since they are powerful (relatively speaking), fairly bulletproof, and ugly enough that if you wreck it, it's actually helping the asthetics.

I kept it coming!!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Oh.

Forgot about insurance. MAKE DAMN SURE you price out insurance BEFORE you buy ANY bike. In MT, it's not mandatory to have insurance on a motorcycle UNLESS you have a lien or loan on it. Well I bought used bikes for years (i.e. paid cash) and I never had insurance. Come to find out AFTER I bought my first new bike (ZX-12R) that my first year's premium would be $2800. That's with an absolutely spotless record and being 22 years old (8 years ago).

It was a ripoff so I was broke for a while while I paid off that bike in 18 months to get some of my insurance money back. PHEW!!!

I still have the bike and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. 8 years old and NEVER needed a repair. The valve cover leaks a little and I had to hard-wire the voltage regulator when the connector fried, but other than that, it's gotten oil changes, air filters, and gas. Oh, and a bunch of new tires.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
I have spent a lot of time around a lot of riders on a lot of different bikes.

All-in-all, I am left with a slightly more negative perception of Buell than positive.

One thing I have heard bad about is service and to some extent reliability.

Would I buy one?

No.

Too many other options out there with proven reliability and (better?)performance and a broad dealer/aftermarket support structure.

YMMV

Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

My son has a Buell. He is in the Air Force now and will be home soon. He wants to either ship it or ride it to Lackland AF Base in Texas. He is a good rider, but is tough on a bike. He has had no problems whatsoever with the Buell. For 4-5 months he rode it to Conn. and back weekly. Never let him down, more than enough power on the interstates, and looks sharp! He is more than happy with it. Hope you have the same luck with yours!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
EricW.
Senior User
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
2. The powerband of the Buell is nothing like a Harley. It is short, late, and peaky. Add that to the 6K or so redline and you have a very hard around-town bike to ride. The SV650 is no slouch and once you're out of the really tight twisties, you'll be way ahead of the Buell.
I can disagree with that, the xb12 is awesome around town, plenty of power for light to light riding, however you have the powerband correct, they're a 45* V-twin push-rod motor (the XB12 is roughly the same as two cylinders of a 302). I went from a bike that red lines at 11k to a bike that red lines at 6500 (like stated) there's more power in that bike if they'd designed it with better power use...

The reason the Jap machines have better power bands is because they're all OHC chain timed motors, makes for better riding IMHO...

There's some good points from cleatus' post, he's pretty much got it nailed....

Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by EricW.
ALSO, if this is going to be your first bike DON'T get something new, you will drop it at some point and it's a HECK of a lot easier to replace parts on an older bike than on a brand new machine...

Just remember this one phrase, "there's two types of riders, ones that have gone down and ones that will go down"....
You're absolutely right. If you're a new rider, it's not a matter of if you're going to drop it but when. Buy an older UJM (universal japanese motorcycle) for not a lot of money to learn on. It doesn't hurt so bad when you drop it and you can get most of your money back after you learn to ride and sell it.

Also, as has been said, check the price of insurance before you buy a particular bike. Different insurance companies rate them differently. Two vey similar bikes can have a hugh difference in premium and it will be high at your age.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 AM
EricW.
Senior User
On the insurance part of things, check Progressive they're #1 when it comes to bikes...

Quick Reply: Anyone here have a Buell?