1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Fordy1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the same issue only my truck stalls and dies when I come to a stop, I have had my tranny rebuilt by Ford dealer and back again, 9 months later It has happened yet again, odd thing though after work today the light cleared itself and is working as normal again, but I know it wont last. 5 weeks in and out of the shop (Ford Dealer) and $1,800 later no answers, the tech even took a ridealong with me while his computer was hooked up and we got it to go into fail mode, still no definitive answer. VooDoo

Old 05-29-2008, 07:00 AM
ingman
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Searay, Rubber duck know these trucks inside out. I think he has earned the and proven his self. Stick around this forum and you will see for your self.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
ingman, I really appreciate the kind words. But I'm not always right. I'm just saying what I would do. I know alot of people don't have access to scanners or places that do. At that point I think it would be worth throwing $25 at it just to see. And I know others will disagree, but that's just my take on it. And these other guys are auto guys as where I am not. And while I do know alot about these trucks, I don't know crap about auto trannys. I think everyone's advice on this thread is valid, and I'm certain armed with all the info here, he'll get it figured out.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
ingman, I really appreciate the kind words. But I'm not always right. I'm just saying what I would do. I know alot of people don't have access to scanners or places that do. At that point I think it would be worth throwing $25 at it just to see. And I know others will disagree, but that's just my take on it. And these other guys are auto guys as where I am not. And while I do know alot about these trucks, I don't know crap about auto trannys. I think everyone's advice on this thread is valid, and I'm certain armed with all the info here, he'll get it figured out.
x2 .. that's what this forum is about.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:39 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by glasseater
your transmission is going, i wouldn't give it more than 5k miles... get it checked out
See, i had the same thing happen, and before i got to my computer, a kragen's guy told me the same thing...
funny thing is it turned out to be a fuse that was being burnt by a dead RKE module.
so,
Do you have keyless entry?
does the speedometer/odometer work?
any CEL?
Check your #8 fuse in the dash box. just another direction to try. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:52 PM
searay280
Freshman User
Update, I replaced the VSS and cleared the code and it was fine for a couple of days, today when I was pulling my boat the OD light began flashing again and shifting hard.

So, is the next step getting the TC replaced?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
.................Enter Mark laughing at me....alot..... Searay, I really wish my solution would have fixed it for you. And in all reality it had a shot. But, you can't win them all. This is the point where guys like Mark and the other auto guru's are your best friend. Good luck brother. I hope you get it knocked out soon.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
the TC is the next issue IF, and ONLY IF, the cel comes on AFTER running the truck in OD with the TC locked up. As stated before in either my post, or madvans, the computer ONLY reads the difference between the VSS and the TC AFTER its locked up. If you run it in town and it sets the code, and you never get it to lock up, you have another problem. If you dont get the slip code, then its time to drop the tranny, pull the tc, put new one in, and if you still have the original tranny cooler ANYWHERE ON YOUR TRUCK, GET RID OF IT. It plugs, restricts flow, and even if you have a 10 million pound rated cooler, the fluid has to run thru it for it to work. It will save you from this again (if you still have the stck coller)

Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM
searay280
Freshman User
Thanks guys for all the feedback, anyone know of a good tranny guy in North Texas?

Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 PM
searay280
Freshman User
If you dont get the slip code, then its time to drop the tranny, pull the tc, put new one in, and if you still have the original tranny cooler ANYWHERE ON YOUR TRUCK, GET RID OF IT. It plugs, restricts flow, and even if you have a 10 million pound rated cooler, the fluid has to run thru it for it to work. It will save you from this again (if you still have the stck coller)

Todd, I'm taking the truck in tomorrow for tranny work, what should I tell the guys regarding the tranny cooler?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 PM
searay280
Freshman User
Well, today on the way home, the flashing of the "OD" light stopped and it shifted normal. Is this just a tease and I should expect it to go right back or is my luck changing?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Fordy1
New User
Same thing happened to me, Flashing code just quit and normal shifting again, no one responded to me on it either, I dont know which way to turn, already replaced TC and had tranny rebuilt.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The flashing light means something is wrong with the transmission system. It could be the trans, it could be wiring, it could be a sensor, it could be overheated. Without the code nobody knows. The code will stay in the computer's memory for about a month after the last time it flashed.

If it stops flashing it means that problem is no longer present. The code will stay in the memory.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The flashing light means something is wrong with the transmission system. It could be the trans, it could be wiring, it could be a sensor, it could be overheated. Without the code nobody knows. The code will stay in the computer's memory for about a month after the last time it flashed.

If it stops flashing it means that problem is no longer present. The code will stay in the memory.
X2
Its not going to fix itself.
If you investigate it now, you could possibly save yourself from a full rebuild.
The lamp will start to flash again. Thats for shure.

Searay
I would take a chance on a TC and seal install. If electrical checked good.

Bill

Quick Reply: Overdrive