1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Superchip causing problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:53 PM
stevorino
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchip causing problems?

I got a superchips 1705 off craigslist until I have the money for a TW chip, but it's been acting a little weird. The truck once just died while I was idling high to keep the A/C cool. It also seems to shudder as it shifts under load. My tranny has 30K miles on it and the cps was recently replaced. It has more power but it just doesn't seem to shift as well as it should. I put it back to stock and it is definitely slower, but I don't want TC issues or something like that if I keep using the tunes. BTW, I was on high performance when it died. I was in tow performance when the shifts seemed a little off. It may be nothing but I just wanted to see if any of you guys had experienced this.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:26 PM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
I Have A 1705 And Have No Problems With Mine At All.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
stevorino
Senior User
I think I'm going to change my transmission fluid and see if that helps anything.

Could just need a change in friction.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 AM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
Thats were i would start.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
mklemin
Senior User
When i first got mine and tuned my truck the tuning was real erratic te rpms jumped up and down but like a crazy cam but worse. it did it on all tunes exept for stock of course so i took it back where i bought it from who by the way are so verry friendly and helpfull people. they took it back into their shop he said he reflashed something so a newer truck's code i belive and i havent had a problem since. now i know that i dont have a automatic tranny but i did have a bit of trouble with the rpms just to let you know. good luck with everything.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:23 AM
WALJON
Posting Guru

I bought a 1705 a couple of years ago and had similar problems actually the first one I got when I would install it would rev my truck to the red line! I had to fight with the guy and actually contact super chips for an exchange when I got the new one it shifted just like you are explaining I didn't like it at all I then again had to fight with the dealer and super chips for a refund.

hope you get this figured out

Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
stevorino
Senior User
I towed a small trailer over the weekend and it seemed OK on tow performance. I left the tune there for in town driving. I'll see how it does, but I'm still a little skeptical. I didn't see any increase in mileage either. I'm going to run a tank with my foot off the pedal and see how it does. I could see where these things may have to be reprogrammed for different years. I do like the code reader part of it since you can't find computers to read these things very easily. Still saving up for a TW chip.