Excursion Died -- Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Excursion Died -- Question

My Excursion keeps blowing fuse #45, a/k/a "Ignition switch Run/ Start feed"
Going to have to go in shop. Seems to be a short in the steering column.

Then the dash lights go dim, headlights die, engine sputters and dies. I am guessing alternator most likely.

Anybody have any idea if these two things might be related? Maybe there's not a short in the steering column, I dunno.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I suck at anything electrical. Sorry.

Stewart

Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 AM
BIG BOI
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might sound crazy,My truck was doing almost the same thing, with the exception of blowing fuse. My lights would dim, the instrument panel lights would also dim on and off by themselves, oh not to mention, when i turn on any of my fog lights, that would be all she wrote. trying to start the truck at times , well was difficult, you'd hear allot of clicking noises and it would not start. I was soooo close to getting a new alternator, but luckily for me i decided to check the "battery connections" yes the battery!! the terminals were spotless, but the positive side was ever so loose, that when the truck attempted to start it was arching out. so try the battery and it's connections first.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:31 AM
western star
Elder User
also check where the ground bolts to the block; that would cause your issue also if its come lose
alt test is cheap and easy so get that checked before they start digging for a short; doubt its a steering column short though; too many things being affected

Old 05-24-2008, 01:15 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Originally Posted by western star
... before they start digging for a short; doubt its a steering column short though; too many things being affected
After replacing fuse #45 for about the 15th time, after dark, I started the Excursion. All fine. Attempted to move the tilt steering wheel up to the top notch of movement. It actually sparked (quick second white lightning) at the base of the tilt steering ****. Would alternator problems or ground problems cause this you think?

Old 05-24-2008, 01:23 PM
bigdog55
Senior User

It kinda sounds as if you should take it in and have them check for a pinched wire in the steering column bundle..I would also check the battery terminals for a loose connection,especially the grounds. I had that happen awhile ago and we thought it was the transmission,when it was actually a loose ground that was moving around and causing the engine to die..

Old 05-24-2008, 01:30 PM
western star
Elder User
yeah if you got a spark in the column I'd get it to the pros asap; if that fuse didn't blow you'd stand a real chance of having a dash fire
lets us know when its solved; maybe there is a issue the rest of us should be keeping a eye out for

Old 05-24-2008, 02:32 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Just charged the battery enough to get it started. Started engine, turned on lights & fog...... didn't take long for battery to run down and the engine sputtered out and died. Pretty sure the alternator isn't charging. Will borrow a gauge later today to test my theory.

So, getting past that repair, you're right. The spark in the steering column at the tilt steering **** isn't a good sign. Maybe they can tear it apart and find it easily. After all, I am telling them exactly where to look. In the shop it may not be dark enough for them to see the arc when you move the tilt steering and blow the fuse.... and they might have had a hard time even knowing where to start looking. I only saw the sparks because I was outside in the dark when it happened. The fuse also blows when you move it from "Park" to "neutral" or "drive". I think I have pretty well pin-pointed the short to the steering column.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Paul T
More Turbo
Anytime I have an electrical problem I first check the battery connections. If I have a fuse blow I first check what accessories are on that curcuit and eliminate them one at a time.
I think you have nailed it on the head about the steering column. An electrical spark from the steering column is a sure sign. At worsed it can cause a fire so get it fixed as soon as possible. I would vote for the alternator also. You might check to see if you can buy a kit to rebuild it. I used to rebuild mine all the time but in the late 80's you could not rebuild them due to the parts welded in from the factory. I found out after the fact that my 96 F250 alternator had a rebuild kit.
I had a fuse always blowing in my wifes Deville, when I checked the curcuit it included the cigarette lighter. So I checked it and my wife had put her foil gum wrapper in the ash tray and it fell in the lighter socket and blew the fuse.

Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2008, 07:13 PM
western star
Elder User
shouldn't be that hard to find the short since it sparks; look for bare wire and / or a small burn mark

Old 05-24-2008, 09:00 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
I just don't have the time, patience, or desire to rebuild the alternator. It's $267 at Ford for a OEM brand new. I think I will simply go that route.

I expect labor to ream me a new one on taking the steering column apart and looking around.

And ya know, this stuff always happens on a 3 day holiday weekend. It will be Tuesday or Wednesday before I can take it in. Since they are closed on Monday, Tuesday will probably be busy and backed up. I might just take it in Wednesday.

My wife's Impala also broke down yesterday afternoon. Turn key, nothing. Then, for whatever reason, this little electrical Gremlin packed up his bags and left town. Been starting OK since.

Company car blew a head gasket about a month ago. $1,000 repair. So the "it comes in threes" thing is certainly true.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:06 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Paul T
If I have a fuse blow I first check what accessories are on that curcuit and eliminate them one at a time.
Since it's fuse #45, a/k/a Ignition switch Run/ Start feed, I think this points in the direction of a short in the steering column as well. And the steering column being where I saw it spark in the dark. It was a blessing in disguise to be fooling around replacing the fuse in the dark I suppose.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:57 PM
bigdog55
Senior User

Smile

As I said before,if your neg cables are just the slightest bit loose,you won't get power from the alt to the battery and your engine will also have fits..I think that I would pull the fuse cover under the dash and then see if you can pull the bottom cover on the steering column below where it rotates and then look up in there with a light (unless you're like me and it's hard to fit under there,had a bad time with the brake controller h/u ) and see if you can find the bad wire..

Last edited by bigdog55; 05-25-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you saw a spark in the column when you tilted it, I would fix that problem first, THEN if there is another problem keep going. Obviously something is wrong in your column.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Daviddc114
Senior User
you might want to keep the fuse OUT because you DEFINETLY have a short in there, its not too hard to look around in there, better than the stealer raping you, if you find the wire with the burn marks all you have to do is a quick repair on it and your all set. i dont know if you have an aftermarket alarm or remote starter in there but i know they have to access the ignition wires so this is where your problem could lie. also about the alternator, if you have a wire shoerting out this could draw your battery, if you put a mulitmeter on the battery and give the truck gas it should read about 13 - 14 volts (while the truck is at about 1500 - 2000 rpm) if it stays at 12 volts than your alternator is shot. i dont know where you are located but here in ri there is an alternator shop that rebuilds them, they make them BETTER than new, they do a real good job on them, and they can even wrap more copper wiring to give you more charging amperage if you ask them. and they do X alternators for around 100, and they do an AWSOME job!! the reason i am bringing them up is cuz im sure there is a place around you who will do the same, and its not hard to do an alternator in our X's.. you could save yourself ALOT of $$$

Quick Reply: Excursion Died -- Question