Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V-10's and towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 AM
burnsmazz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM doesn't offer the 8.1 (496) any longer,all you can get is the 6.0 in a gas truck.Love my V-10 opinions are like *******s everyone has one.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:16 AM
10strokin
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

the 8.0 496 oil spewing gas guzzler is no longer offered in the truck lineup. anyone looking for a gas engine to tow with now in the chebby/gmc lineup has to choose the 6.0. if you are towing a couple of trucknutz or so, it should do fine. but put any amount of weight in it, and its on the side of the road overheated. dude, i love this line that someone else uses on here. " 90% of all chebby trucks made from 89 to present are still on the road, the rest made it home!" now, the 8.0 workhorse is still offered in the class a motorhome chassis. and my dads 38' southwind with the big 10 and the 5.38 gears sails by every one of them going up the mountains on I77 in north carolina/virginia. been with him, and done it. again, good luck with your DURAJAP.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:39 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by super 6.8
Heck man,

302 Mustangs will walk all over mid 10's. Chebbie needs a 427 for that?

Seriously, this so called 496, what gears was in your buddies truck?

I am probably wasting my time as your mind is made up, but matching gears to an engine's powerband is the only way to see what that engine will do.

Come on, 3:73's are the worst gears you could choose (from the factory) to tow what you are trying to tow. At least admit that.

I do not pretend that V10's will out pull diesels. But when a guy complains about a V10 and is using only 3:73's I have to say something. It seems you are a gear head, you should know better.

Oh, and what truck is offered from the factory these days with the 496?

It seems you are the ignorant clueless one to even attempt to pull a heavy load with those gears. What an idiot!
Bingo, give the man a cigar. Well posted.........

Old 05-30-2008, 06:21 AM
IHI
Senior User
Originally Posted by super 6.8
Heck man,

show me a 302 mustang that weighs 3720lbs with driver doing this through the mufflers, naturally aspirated on pump gas and a 2" paper air cleaner then come talk to me, there's a reason guys built rustangs-they're light due to ford's costing too much to make serious N/A hp

I will call him today and find out, chasis is a crew cab short box, gear, i dunno, never asked, i just know on long grades when we head south he'll get besides me, slow to my speed to point and laugh, give me the bird and then up the hill he goes without breaking a sweat.

I am probably wasting my time as your mind is made up, but matching gears to an engine's powerband is the only way to see what that engine will do.
even unloaded this thing is a joke, I've ran it at the track to compare what it's got to what other trucks we were running that day had, full second slower than most of the other tow rigs. even little unloaded stoplight burps this thing has yet to beat anything....it's a lemon, i musta got the lemon V10 cuz it's just gutless

Come on, 3:73's are the worst gears you could choose (from the factory) to tow what you are trying to tow. At least admit that.
I never said they're ideal, I bought this truck used from a buddy with 60K on the odometer, this is how it came so this is what we use, I'm not going to invest a bunch of money into a work truck that has a short enough life span as it is with employee's, towing, plowing, etc...

I do not pretend that V10's will out pull diesels. But when a guy complains about a V10 and is using only 3:73's I have to say something. It seems you are a gear head, you should know better.
all you have to do is read around on these ridiculous V10 section, forget your V10 loyality and you'll see many of you V10 guys think this dumb engine is the best thing since sliced bread, i've read too many articles where guys are saying their V10's pull every bit as good as deisels...it is'nt happening, anybody with a level head on their shoulders knows it, but you come in here, 90% of the trucks are show and shine daily drivers, not used for the purpose they were built, and yet these parking lot guru's like to spout off on things they have no experience with. We got into this crap in the 460 vs V10 thing last year, and i was told somethig is wrong with my truck....yeah, i agree, this V10 is'nt what it's hyped upto be

Did i say it was a brand new truck???

It seems you are the ignorant clueless one to even attempt to pull a heavy load with those gears. What an idiot!
anything under 2 hrs i consider a local run, I'm not dumping $1800 quoted price to install new gears front/rear of this thing when it's already 8 yrs old, nearing retirement

Old 05-30-2008, 08:34 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by IHI
The trucks shoulda never been sold in this trim then...who the heck buys a F350 and NOT use it for work...oh that's right, alot of the guys in the V10 forum, that's who
Har har hardee har har...

Troll.

I didn't think this thread was going to crap, but apparently it did.

--

Isn't the 4R100 overdrive the same .7:1 as the TS ?

Aren't they all just around .7:1 ?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Mmaxed
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by krewat

I don't know about that Art as I only looked up the TS. I think you're right though. I have always maintained the the OD ratios in pickups was too high most of the time. They just didn't have enough engine to pull it, at least here in MT where wind and hills are a constant.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Bagger
Elder User
You kinda figure even ford figurd out 3.73 was not a good gear choice for the V10 since they stopped offering it. If you are a racer and do tow a big trailer you should know enough to spec the truck the way you need it.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
If you've got a 5-speed auto I like the idea of .7:1, and it's nice too if you get 4.30 gearing or lower. I'd like the transfer case to be 3:1 or lower too though. Seems a SD with 4.30 or lower, with the 5-speed auto and a 3:1 or 4:1 t-case could cruise all day on the highway, drop it out of OD for the hills, and crawl in 4-low when you get off the main road and need to crawl a little slower. There obviously isn't a best for everyone though... Maybe if they could increase the horsepower and torque of the V10 by 25%, increase the mileage by 50% AND put 4.56 gears and a 4:1 transfer case too that would make me happy (just kidding, I'm happy as a puppy with two peters with my truck).

Old 05-30-2008, 11:23 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by IHI
anything under 2 hrs i consider a local run, I'm not dumping $1800 quoted price to install new gears front/rear of this thing when it's already 8 yrs old, nearing retirement
show me a 302 mustang that weighs 3720lbs with driver doing this through the mufflers, naturally aspirated on pump gas and a 2" paper air cleaner then come talk to me, there's a reason guys built rustangs-they're light due to ford's costing too much to make serious N/A hp

I will call him today and find out, chasis is a crew cab short box, gear, i dunno, never asked, i just know on long grades when we head south he'll get besides me, slow to my speed to point and laugh, give me the bird and then up the hill he goes without breaking a sweat.

even unloaded this thing is a joke, I've ran it at the track to compare what it's got to what other trucks we were running that day had, full second slower than most of the other tow rigs. even little unloaded stoplight burps this thing has yet to beat anything....it's a lemon, i musta got the lemon V10 cuz it's just gutless

I never said they're ideal, I bought this truck used from a buddy with 60K on the odometer, this is how it came so this is what we use, I'm not going to invest a bunch of money into a work truck that has a short enough life span as it is with employee's, towing, plowing, etc...

all you have to do is read around on these ridiculous V10 section, forget your V10 loyality and you'll see many of you V10 guys think this dumb engine is the best thing since sliced bread, i've read too many articles where guys are saying their V10's pull every bit as good as deisels...it is'nt happening, anybody with a level head on their shoulders knows it, but you come in here, 90% of the trucks are show and shine daily drivers, not used for the purpose they were built, and yet these parking lot guru's like to spout off on things they have no experience with. We got into this crap in the 460 vs V10 thing last year, and i was told somethig is wrong with my truck....yeah, i agree, this V10 is'nt what it's hyped upto be

Did i say it was a brand new truck???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why don't you just go out buy a Chebby and quit your whining about it already.

Bye

Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM
IHI
Senior User
Har har hardee har har...

Troll.

I didn't think this thread was going to crap, but apparently it did.

--
Troll, or just the only one stating the obvious in a one tracked mind section of the forum, maybe i'm just hard headed and all the other's have given up, i dunno. but many on here have openly admitted their 3/4 and 1T trucks are just daily drivers. Sorry if i actually use all my my trucks for a purpose of hauling and towing, then speak honest truths about the experience with them, but i'm not going to blow sunshine up anybodies wazoo and mislead them into thinking a V10 is going to suffice for long distance REAL towing...real meaning heavy.

Talk to the guys with the V10 powered Class C RV's that pull their race trailers to the tracks around the midwest...okay throw this in my face since i only race the midwest so what do i know...and everyone of them is looking for a way to increase output of these things since it just does'nt have the grunt. One electrical contractor sent his ECU to canada and for $700 plus shipping they will retune it and he said it makes a world of difference....okay, another $700 to make the thing work like it's hype. Most of these RV's already have steep gears out back so ya cant really bring that up, I think BIL told me his F450 chasised 28' class c has 4.88's, but after his first tow he asked if my truck was doggie when i had a trailer hooked up, and of course i told him very.

Good durable engine, sure, how many posts on here are gettng mega miles with diligant PM, does it run good, sure. Is it half of what many of the show and shiners hype it to be, not by a long shot.

I'm stateing REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE so the original poster who was asking V10 or diesel knew what to expect. We're loaded daily, except when it's not raining, so doing this day in and day out i believe gives me the right to tell an honest opinion. camper pullers, even retired ones dont tow as much or as often as we do unless they travel on the road 200 days out of a year, and most guys, just like your reading, will all say what they have is the best...unfortunately there are guys like me that will give an honest reivew on the flip side, but everything on my truck is wrong so what the heck i guess, somebody donate $3K so i can stick into this to realize how wonerful this things is supposedly suppoed to be by all your accounts...oh you wont...i wont either, taint worth it.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:51 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts

All the places I checked say they are .71 so now I wonder if I really have a 4.30 rear end or a 4.56 or maybe my tack is off . I know what the tachometer says at 65 in and out of OD or as close as you can tell with a factory tachometer. I have owned the truck from day one so I know the gears have never been changed.

Denny

Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
IHI
Senior User
Originally Posted by rvpuller
All the places I checked say they are .71 so now I wonder if I really have a 4.30 rear end or a 4.56 or maybe my tack is off . I know what the tachometer says at 65 in and out of OD or as close as you can tell with a factory tachometer. I have owned the truck from day one so I know the gears have never been changed.

Denny

What do you tach at say 65 or 70mph...whatever your cruise rpm is
WITH the overdrive engauged
W/O overdrive engauged
and your steeper gearing?

so even with the 4:30 gear your still not able to cruise in OD since it's still lacking the grunt? or how big/long of grades are you pulling, what type of weight?

not trying to be an azz or put up a loaded question, just wanting an honest answer since if you guys with steeper gears cant hold speed and require down shifting, the small gear dump to the 3:73 is'nt a big deal then either since the overall gear reduction is going to help most getting up and running, not running at cruise speed.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by IHI
Troll, or just the only one stating the obvious in a one tracked mind section of the forum, maybe i'm just hard headed and all the other's have given up, i dunno. but many on here have openly admitted their 3/4 and 1T trucks are just daily drivers. Sorry if i actually use all my my trucks for a purpose of hauling and towing, then speak honest truths about the experience with them, but i'm not going to blow sunshine up anybodies wazoo and mislead them into thinking a V10 is going to suffice for long distance REAL towing...real meaning heavy.

Talk to the guys with the V10 powered Class C RV's that pull their race trailers to the tracks around the midwest...okay throw this in my face since i only race the midwest so what do i know...and everyone of them is looking for a way to increase output of these things since it just does'nt have the grunt. One electrical contractor sent his ECU to canada and for $700 plus shipping they will retune it and he said it makes a world of difference....okay, another $700 to make the thing work like it's hype. Most of these RV's already have steep gears out back so ya cant really bring that up, I think BIL told me his F450 chasised 28' class c has 4.88's, but after his first tow he asked if my truck was doggie when i had a trailer hooked up, and of course i told him very.

Good durable engine, sure, how many posts on here are gettng mega miles with diligant PM, does it run good, sure. Is it half of what many of the show and shiners hype it to be, not by a long shot.

I'm stateing REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE so the original poster who was asking V10 or diesel knew what to expect. We're loaded daily, except when it's not raining, so doing this day in and day out i believe gives me the right to tell an honest opinion. camper pullers, even retired ones dont tow as much or as often as we do unless they travel on the road 200 days out of a year, and most guys, just like your reading, will all say what they have is the best...unfortunately there are guys like me that will give an honest reivew on the flip side, but everything on my truck is wrong so what the heck i guess, somebody donate $3K so i can stick into this to realize how wonerful this things is supposedly suppoed to be by all your accounts...oh you wont...i wont either, taint worth it.
I'm also stated real life experiences but I also have a truck that set up to pull heavy loads, thats the only reason I have the thing. We do take it to store but being full time RVers it's our only vehicle.

I really think that if you had one that was setup with the right gears and tires you would be surprised at how well it performs.

Denny

Old 05-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Bagger
Elder User
IHI, what am I missing. Ring and pinion and set up kit front and back would be what $600-$700. You build race cars and you cannot do gears or know someone that can do it reasonable. Around here $500 would get them changed out so $1300 at most NOT $3000.

Sure with an 18K trailer a smoker would make a difference but I tow (on my way to the show and shine) 6K a v10 TOW AS WELL AS A DIESEL at this weight.

Before you give me any BS about real trucks have diesel remember that the 6.0 is a souped up school bus motor! Real trucks have Cats and Detroit's and Cumins and Benz motors

Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
I thought I had a real truck

Quick Reply: V-10's and towing