1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

trans woes again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=2 stroke man;6172297]well,it should be done by noon tomorrow. it was in the accumulator valve body. it has at least one sluggy valve, that controls the gears i am having trouble with. \

quote]

find another tranny man, if it was a "sludgy" accumulator valve then he is a total moron, the accumulator is the first thing to com out of the tranny, if he simply overlooked the frist component to clean then he has no busniss rebuilding trannys. if you have a sticking valve in the accumulator then one of 3 things is wrong.
1- its dirty- resulting in him screwing you over royaly
2- valve is bad- results in him not looking at it and moving it as a precheck
3- body is damaged- results in the same thing- poor craftsmanship

any of the 3 possibilities should have been easily checked and spotted as a cause for a trans to go up. any good tranny man will try to find out why the trans is on his bench before he throws a set of clutches in it and ships it out the door. poor quality and craftsmanship if you ask me.

here is how easy it is to see the valve assemblies in the accumulator body. takes mere seconds to strip it down and inspect it.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, coon. always helpful and polite =). he said it was sluggy. not sludgy though. he said it needed to work quick, and firm. but, instead, its slow (sluggy). appreciate the help

Old 05-19-2008, 09:58 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
oh, it seemed to shift MUCH WORSE with my superchip installed the other day. is there a chance that my superchip could be bad?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:03 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
thats even worse, (sorry bout the spelling...lol) it still shows he rushed your job and overlooked things. if he missed something as simple as a shift valve then what else did he skim over????????????? i dont understand how you can have a slow valve? and what he did to determine this? it sounds like smoke being blown to me. the valve either works or it doesnt. my guess is that if your problem is really in the accumulator body then the body is scoured from metal going through it or the actual shift valve is bent or the spring itself is damaged. again, these are all tihngs he would have blaintanlty seen IF he took it apart, inspected and cleaned it. (i'm sure he charged you for that). if the body is damaged then you are sure to have other issues with internal hard components. i really hope he is offereing a good warrenty for you.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
not likly, dont you have a 1705 programmer? if so then i am 99.9% sure the tunes are fine. they cant become corrupted, its not like a "chip" that would get a bad connection and fry the board, its a replacement program, its either in or out. no inbetweens, it cant happen. the program cant go bad on you. and on top of that the superchip doesnt really crank the power up. the bottom line is your tranny man didnt do a good job on your unit.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
isnt your trans doing the same thing it did before the rebuild?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
6 month, unlimited mile. last time i had this kind of problem, shortly after the build. and, the they supposidly 'adjusted' it and put a coil pack in it, and it lasted till just after warranty. i'm in soooo deep with these BOZO'S. the accumulator calve body, and valve body were put in new in july. i'm seriously concidering trading it off after this round with them. .just get me a 99.5 six speed. then i'll have the bigger injectors, the manual i so dearly want, the IC i want, and everything. i love this truck, but the trans scares me.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
yes, this is the same thing it was doing before the second build, last week. i wish i could get just $1600 back of my $2700 invested and go to a good trans guy i know and get it built!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:16 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
its time to play the lawyer card, demand a refund and threaten with the better busniss bureau mention the words "fruad investigation" and they will be more then accomadating if they dont want trouble. you are obviously caught up in a hack shop and need to get out. dont condem the poor truck because of those morons. besides the 99.5 splitshots use too much oil to run, it will cost the same amount of cash to get the same power out of your obs truck's fuel system.

i will still call the bureau and report them after all this. they still havnt fixed the origonal concern and continue to throw parts at it and charge you for repairs. the bureau can tell you if they have other complaints filed against that shop and it will get them investigated. it will be hard to get your money back from them but you might be able to get them to purchase a remanned tranny and install it. dont ask, DEMAND!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
well i'm off to bed, i'd love to give you some more info tonight but 5am is creeping up on me here. i am sure madvan will be along sooner or later, i am curious to hear his input and thoughts as well as tj's.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
The valve could stick just from the crap that got left behind from the burnt unit. The valve (oem) is alum and replacements can be steel. I do not like the steel. Only use the alum. Either way a special tool is used to resize the bore in the VB. (it gets pounded from the valve). A good trans builder will lapp/burnish the valve after the use of the bore sizing tool.
On the TC. I would not put it in my truck. You would be better off with the oem 6.0 TC

You are not alone with auto issues. The problem is not the trans its the builders.
Your in Ky. You could run down to Ark and get a BTS. Just a thought.

Link of sizing tool. You will notice its no longer available! And guess what most of the trans builders never have seen or used this tool!!!
Sonnax Transmission, Torque Converter, Performance, Driveline Parts :: Transmission Specialties® :: 36948-12 :: Part Summary

Todd
What i posted is what the spec is on the oem TC. Most as well as i feel the TC is to loose from the factory. Most do not realise the stall is that high in the PSD (oem).

Bill

Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 AM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
oh, i just found out from dad that he told dad yesterday 'i been having some trouble with these parts in the past 8 or 9 months' and 'now, one of those electrical parts has a number scratched off the serial number. i'm afraid they could have been sending me some seconds as new parts' its a money racket. if it aint PERFECT at noon today, and remain perfect for a long time, they will go to court. if it dont drive right at noon, imma go back and say, "i need $2,700 or i'll call the BBB and a lawyer today."

Old 05-20-2008, 05:25 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2 stroke man
imma go back and say, "i need $2,700 or i'll call the BBB and a lawyer today."
stroke

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Explain that its not just the cost of the reman but money and customers lost do to truck off the road. Towing bills help also. Hope it dont have to go that far. Tell them you want a parts brakdown used on the billing invoice. Good luck today.

BTW--s-packs are remans

Bill

Old 05-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MADVAN
Todd
What i posted is what the spec is on the oem TC. Most as well as i feel the TC is to loose from the factory. Most do not realise the stall is that high in the PSD (oem).

Bill
I thought for sure that it was lower. After I started thinking about it though, I couldnt remember where I read or heard of that, so that s why I double checked, and as it turned out, your right. I was wrong.

Whats the difference betwen the 6.0 tc and ours? Price, vs. performance? I really dont know much of the spec on anything other than what I own, so I would just be guessing.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Todd525
Whats the difference betwen the 6.0 tc and ours? Price, vs. performance? I really dont know much of the spec on anything other than what I own, so I would just be guessing.
Its a multi disk, thicker front cover, and has less stall behind the 7.3.
Its not just a boltin though. Its a good TC for the 7.3 unless you want high performance after market, such as a racerX or PI.

Bill

Quick Reply: trans woes again!!!