General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Riding Lawn mower (Tractor) what to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:02 AM
stormyrider
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Deere has two lines, one sold at the big box stores that are cheap and a better quality and pricer line sold through the deelerships. They are also now allowing the dealerships to carry and sell the cheap ones so they can compete with the big box stores.
I bought a huskvarna and have been happy with it. It has a 18 hp Kohler motor with pressurized oil and an oil filter.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM
tkd
Elder User
My neighbor has a simplicity, 22hp, 42in deck. Yes, he paid for it, but I promise you in a neighborhood of decent sized yards (1/2-3/4 of an acre) where JD and MTD are the predominate riding mowers, the quality of cut he gets with his simplicity is head and shoulders above anything around. Because of the rollers, he gets the "outfield stripes" in his yard. I have actually witnessed people stop to ask what he mows with because it looks that great.

When and if I am in the market for a rider, I will definitely consider simplicity.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
''outfield stripes'' Do look cool, but my house is off the road so far that I would be the only one to see them. I actualy have three acre's fenced off in the middle of a field. got cattle on three sides of me taking care of the rest of the grass.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Carl what the hell is your mower doing driving up on the deck like that anyways? lol.

Thats a good way to work on it though

Old 05-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by offshore1
I don't think the new Cub Cadets (MTD's) have shaft drive anymore.
If they have a hydro drive, they're still direct drive.

I second the recommendation that if its still running well to just hold onto whatever you have. I have a 20 year old Cub Cadet (1811) that my father-in-law gave us after he bought a new one. After fixing a small electrical problem (a fuse!), replacing the deck belts and tuning up the carb, it runs like a top. Its got a hydro drive, 3 point hitch with hydraulic lift and a 44" deck. It has a few rattles (it is 20 years old!) but its nicer than anything else I've ever had. Blows the old Snapper we were using before away.

Does anyone know if there is a smaller cutting deck (40-42") made for these older Cubs? This 44" deck is a VERY tight fit through the door of our shed.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 AM
ramblincowboy
Tuned
Yes, the John Deere 100 series is the same machine whether you buy it at a JD dealership or Lowes or Home Depot. It is the cheapest of the JD line, but it's also better quality than the JD's sold by the other stores that the dealerships did not sell a few years ago. Granted it is the lightest of the JD lines, but it's still not a bad machine. I know of several of the first ones sold (not sure how old that makes 'em - 5 years, maybe?) that are used hard and still going strong. I was wondering the same thing you were a year ago, and I ended up buying an LA165 (24 hp V twin Briggs and Stratton, 48" deck) and I'm very pleased with it. It's cut alot of grass and weeds, not just lawns, but around barns and cattle pens, and bar ditches along gravel roads - nothing but regular maintenance, and it's never missed a beat. It has run alongside mowers that cost twice as much, and done just as good a job, just as fast. Not telling you it's the best out there, but don't mark it off as not being worth a serious look.

As far as the Kubota's go, they build tractors up to right at 100 hp these days. Starting to see a few of their bigger tractors around, but I haven't talked to anybody that's got one.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:24 PM
offshore1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 76supercab2
BTW, exactly what is wrong with the old JD?
It was running fine this season, then it just lost power and died like someone turned off the ignition. When trying to start back up . . .it 1/2 way tried, but backfired lots out of the exhaust and would not catch. Now it won't fire even using starting fluid. I 99% sure I am getting spark.
This same problem happened before about 2 years ago. But back then I took it to the JD dealer and he said it was old gas and charged me a few hundred to tell me that. After getting back from dealer - it ran for about a month and then did same thing as described above. It then sat for about 1.5 years. Decided to get it running and I did NOTHING but use starting fluid and it ran. It has run fine from that time back then until now.

I also measured my shed, and space is a problem. I have about 68" in length and about a 48" wide door. Some of these nice mowers are just too big.

What about a used Deere? I found a nice LT160 w/ Kohler engine and it should fit in my shed. IS the LT160 a decent JD or is that part of the cheap stuff?

BTW: I plan to see if I can get the old mower running again tonight.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:37 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Sounds like a valve is hanging open.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
RDJ184
Postmaster
check fly wheel key B&S.... push rods Kohler if you dont get it going let me no what eng it has....model no of eng and spec....... I can give you any info on any one of them

Old 05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
Unless its a single cylinder engine, it should still run, even with a valve sticking open. It'll just run like you've pulled a plug wire.

I'd check the fuel filter (if it has one) and then clean out the carburetor if that doesn't take care of things. If it has had contaminated fuel in it, there's no telling what kind of trash has accumulated in there. On my Cub, it took me about 30 minutes worth of work to remove, clean and re-install the carburetor.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tkd
My neighbor has a simplicity, 22hp, 42in deck. Yes, he paid for it, but I promise you in a neighborhood of decent sized yards (1/2-3/4 of an acre) where JD and MTD are the predominate riding mowers, the quality of cut he gets with his simplicity is head and shoulders above anything around. Because of the rollers, he gets the "outfield stripes" in his yard. I have actually witnessed people stop to ask what he mows with because it looks that great.

When and if I am in the market for a rider, I will definitely consider simplicity.
I'll second this. I've used Simplicity mowers for nearly thirty years and they are definitely worth what you pay for them!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
offshore1
Senior User
Flywheel key is ok
Single Cyl Kohler Command 12.5 OVH. model # CV12.5 (1215)
Fuel filter is new/fine

Again - no fire even w/ spritz of starting fliud

Old 05-14-2008, 02:01 PM
RDJ184
Postmaster
check your push rods and make sure you are runing 10w30 ok give me what you have checked so far you have confirmed spark?

Old 05-14-2008, 02:04 PM
RDJ184
Postmaster
just for the record i am briggs master certified...... expert certifacation with kohler....... and own my own small eng shop... i will help you get this going

Old 05-14-2008, 02:16 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can't get it running (but you probably can with a little persistence) you could also consider a repower.

Small Engine Warehouse--Engine - Generator - Pressure Washer

There's a 17hp Kohler there for $500 on sale now.

Quick Reply: Riding Lawn mower (Tractor) what to buy???